Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do any of you have this problem?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Do any of you have this problem?

I work full time, already done with college, make good money. When I was a kid, I saved up for the game I want. Now, I have the money to buy whatever I want. So I end up buying way too many games. I have games sitting in a pile that are still in the wrapper. I have enough games to play for 3 years, but what do I do, buy more. Anyone else do this?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    monkeysuit89

I most definitely do not have that problem. Being in college plus having a healthy appetite for new $60 games doesn't really mesh well. Sometimes I see it as a good thing though because I have time to take the one or two games I do pick up each month and play it for all it's worth.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that happens to me all the time. When I moved, I actually had to open sealed games and put them in the DVD albums so they didn't get scratched, and that literally took hours.

On top of that, I've got way too many doubles of games in my tradebox that I haven't been able to swap with other people, not due to lack to trying (ahem...quick plug...forgive me).

I think when I was a kid, I only got NES games for my birthday or Christmas, and of course the price back in the mid-80's rarely dropped below $50. I only owned 9 games for the NES when I was a kid. Now, everything's on discs and it seems like there is a sale somewhere every week, so that's why I have toooooo many to play...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes and no.

I did up until recently. I've decided to part ways with my 75% of my collection...as i was completing sets and then never playing the games.

I had a complete US DC set....played maybe 2 of the games..

Over 300 ps1 games. Played only Wild 9 once for 4 mins.

So i decided...i rather have the money to travel or invest in something. Better then blowing it on games.

I came to this point when I opened a game to play for the first time that i bought for $50 about 2 years ago. The game can now be bought for $10.

$40 wasted....multiple times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Only three years? I too suffer this, maybe worse. I get sidetracked playing sports games and my adventure or rpg's languish. I have a good year or so on the shelf waiting just in handheld (probably more). Consoles... PS3 have not been playing at all, Wii same thing, Xbox 360 was given away (about to replace though, so it too can get shelf time). I play older games. I was into all the consoles prior to the current ones... Now I feel more into the old school again. Life comes full circle...
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No,never had this problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

Yep I have this problem I have a whole box full of unopened games in my closet and I keep buying more. I also do this with dvds, I have a bunch that I still have not opened.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I have the exact same problem. I constantly buy games and never get around to playing them. I actually hardly ever play games. I am on Dp more than I play. I go through phases like this. Sometimes I play more, mostly I collect more though.

Insert Coin (Level 0) UniHamachi's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've never had this problem per se (but I was buying 1 N64 game a week at one point, and they were $60-$80 a pop), but I know a lot of friends who buy DVD's at insane rates and don't open them. I have one friend who would buy DVD's, not open them, and then buy the spec. ed's when they came out and didn't open them either. I have another friend who had to rent out a storage locker to hold all his DVD's, and when I would ask to borrow one of the 1500 DVD's he owns, he can't find a blessed thing because they've overcrowded his bookshelf, and he doesn't have a clue where they are. If you figure 3 DVD's = 1 VG, then he'd still have a huge backlog.

I still have a copy of the GC Minority Report factory sealed (it was a well intentioned) gift. Other than that, I've put at least a few hours into anything I own.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Meancode
    PSN
    Meancode

I have this problem, especially in the months of November and December
    Ken Edwards
    Blogcritics.org Editor

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yup, I have this problem right now -- but I am in a collector rather than gamer phase. I've played maybe 2 hours of games this month, but shopped for games maybe 20.

It'll swing back to gaming for me, but may take a few weeks. Different people go through cycles differently, but I bet you'll go back to gaming more in the future.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lately I've been buying cheap games from the game stores as well as going to the pawn shops since its the holiday season and raiding on the stuff that has been pawned. I come up with some good stuff.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nesmaster
    PSN
    Nesman

Yup. I have 25 or more 360 titles, 5 PS3, and a couple Wii games that have yet to be put in the system. It's just that I get games cheap all the time that they're hard to pass up, and they'll be there for me whenever I get around to starting them... or buying more and putting them farther in the back seat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With over 160 X-Box 360 titles and 5 PS3 titles, and 5 Wii Titles I don't even get to play much of any of my older system games. AND Now im considering starting back into the MMO addiction. NOT enough time in the day to play games.

Plus on a side note I enjoy watching movies tooo much. If only i have a cheat for unlimited income and free time life would be perfect.

Dig Dug
    Currently Playing:
    X-Box 360: Rock Band, Dark Sector, Orange Box, Mass Effect, Scene IT DVD (360) Bully (360 Version)

Can't wait for Bioshock 2 !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I used to but I sold all my systems except my Xbox 360 and Xbox. Easily over 1500 games and 12 systems. Now, I only have the 2 systems. I don't buy any games for Xbox. Have them all on hard drive. Love playing all the old school games on it. For the 360, I buy around 10 games a year. Frees up a lot of money and space!

Insert Coin (Level 0) Speed Racer's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm guilty of this as well. I've got several sealed games stored in boxes that I'll probably never take the time to play. Also, if I find a game that I like at a really good price I'll buy multiple copies of it. For example, I found 6 copies of War Of The Monsters for $9.00 each on clearance at Sears and bought all of them.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by coreys429 View Post
    Lately I've been buying cheap games from the game stores as well as going to the pawn shops since its the holiday season and raiding on the stuff that has been pawned. I come up with some good stuff.

That's what I do except for the pawn shops. When I walk into Gamestop or any of the others first place I go is to the used section. I usually spend 15 bucks tops on a game that I might get around to. Of course for that kind of money the games are normally a year or older but it doesn't matter to me. One of my rules for buying though is it has to have the original case and instruction manual. None of that generic crap. When I am on this site or one of the others I hear about a good game that I've never heard of I make a note of it and go see if I can find it used somewhere. I do this at least once a week so I have "collected" a large amount of games that I may or may not get around to playing. But my intention is to play every one that I buy so I don't feel guilty or bad about the situation. Looking for the game is fun for me.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to have this problem, but have since changed my ways. I now only own 10 Xbox 360 titles, and 2 PS3 games, and I've played through most of them. I've traded in a few others for those systems, and am now in the mood to only keep games that I will absolutely play again someday - the rest get sold off as soon as I'm done.

This is much better than my PS2 collection, which is well over 150 titles, half of which I've never even put in my system. I found that I would never really enjoy anything when I had so many games to pick from, because I always felt like there was something "better" that I could be playing. It was silly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I think everyone at DP has this "problem". I buy a lot of B-list, "2nd tier" games whenever I find them cheap (clearance, weekly sale). These tend to add up after awhile. I rarely sell my games either, so they've just stacked up for the past 25+ years. 75% of my stuff is in storage boxes in the basement...consisting of many sealed games. Who knows if I'll ever get around to playing them in the next few years. It's probably not too likely. I still have a few SNES and N64 games sealed down there. I'm still keeping them around either way.

I have cut down a bit for the 360/PS3/Wii generation. I've kept my collections in check...at least with the PS3 and Wii. I'm only buying games that I feel are "must haves". My obsession with completing games that I start (with RPG's being my favorite genre), doesn't help matters.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 12-30-2007 at 05:03 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have this problem too, especially with RPG's like Final Fantasy. I start them and dont finish them. Actually it happens with other games too. I buy games that are in the bargain bin alot, I feel like I have to buy them for some reason. I guess I love collecting games.