Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is HDMI RGB or componant?

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default is HDMI RGB or componant?

looked around and i get the feeling it can do both but i wanted to post the question here to clearify

is the signal transmitted through HDMI a digital RGB signal of the same quality as true analog RGB or VGA or is it a componant none true RGB signal?

yes, i know componant is analog and HDMI is digital I just want to know about quality. is it completely uncompressed RGB or slightly compressed componant type quality?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

HDMI and DVI ports mainly stream uncompressed full-digital data.

The only time they stream compressed data is your HDTV on cable, because of the bandwidth used to broadcast HD content, so they use a Hi-def codec. But video game consoles, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, and satellite TV is uncompressed.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On a similar note, is cheese an animal or is it a mineral?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    HDMI and DVI ports mainly stream uncompressed full-digital data.

The only time they stream compressed data is your HDTV on cable, because of the bandwidth used to broadcast HD content, so they use a Hi-def codec. But video game consoles, HD-DVD/Blu-Ray, and satellite TV is uncompressed.
    so if your useing HDMI on a 360 or a PS3 its basicly RGB and marginally superior to useing the componant cables?

on anouther note i just spent way to much time pondering cheese....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

Anthony1 will murder you in your sleep.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

They say if you say his name three times while looking in a mirror, he shows up to burn out the composite inputs on your TV.

--Zero

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
    Anthony1 will murder you in your sleep.
    But the visual will be stunning rgb. Tradeoff...
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ze_ro View Post
    They say if you say his name three times while looking in a mirror, he shows up to burn out the composite inputs on your TV.

--Zero
    I hear he was run off the forums by a mob. flayed his skin raw with componant and composite cords. used em like whips and cats o' nine tails. but as he fell into the outer void of the web he screamed out a dreadful curse and swore his revenge......

and some say...on nights like this, when a RGB topic is brought up.....maybe....just maybe he will return to seek his revenge.

but seriously, the question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do I have to sacrafice a hundred RF switchboxes to conjour up his spirit on a PVM monitor to answer me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    so if your useing HDMI on a 360 or a PS3 its basicly RGB and marginally superior to useing the componant cables?

on anouther note i just spent way to much time pondering cheese....
    MS Japan say you only get a 720p output with component but get 1080p on HDMI cables. Don't know if its bullshit or not, but if you look on the back of each package (Japanese packaging, can't say no nothin about the US packaging) that's the claim they make.

Great Puma (Level 12) jonjandran's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by smork View Post
    MS Japan say you only get a 720p output with component but get 1080p on HDMI cables. Don't know if its bullshit or not, but if you look on the back of each package (Japanese packaging, can't say no nothin about the US packaging) that's the claim they make.

Component does 1080p fine. The Xbox 360 just won't upconvert Dvds over component because of HDCP.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    :lol: - Gilbert and Sullivan, anyone?

By the way, RGB is component, technically speaking...but in layman's terms, the different words mean things that are different enough that if you have to ask the question you won't be able to get a picture from one format going into another. It's possible to convert, just requires money and/or skill.

Oh yeah, no consumer stuff really uses RGB out here in the West. There's SCART for Europeans, though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jonjandran View Post
    Component does 1080p fine. The Xbox 360 just won't upconvert Dvds over component because of HDCP.
    But it will upconvert over VGA. Go figure...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

HDMI is simply a type of cable/connecter. Analog RGB and component (YPbPr) are signals. There is no such thing as HDMI signal. HDMI, like SCART, is a multi-compatible connecter. But while SCART is compatible with composite, s-video, and RGB, HDMI only does higher-end, digital forms -- namely, digital RGB and digital component (YCbCr). Technically, an HDMI output/cable is backwards-compatible with analog signals, but it does so with a technical work-around.

I don't know what you mean by compressed/uncompressed. The level of video compression only has to do with how the video data is encoded and stored on whatever format. It is entirely within the data on the disc (or hard drive, whatever) and is dependent on the format it's on. HDMI has nothing to do with it. A cable doesn't compress anything.
    Last edited by j_factor; 12-30-2007 at 02:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    Nice. Twenty points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    HDMI is simply a type of cable/connecter. Analog RGB and component (YPbPr) are signals. There is no such thing as HDMI signal. HDMI, like SCART, is a multi-compatible connecter. But while SCART is compatible with composite, s-video, and RGB, HDMI only does higher-end, digital forms -- namely, digital RGB and digital component (YCbCr). Technically, an HDMI output/cable is backwards-compatible with analog signals, but it does so with a technical work-around.

I don't know what you mean by compressed/uncompressed. The level of video compression only has to do with how the video data is encoded and stored on whatever format. It is entirely within the data on the disc (or hard drive, whatever) and is dependent on the format it's on. HDMI has nothing to do with it. A cable doesn't compress anything.
    thank you, i knew most of that but i think my question has gotten a bit confused.

but still not totally clear....ok, how about this. if i hook a PS3 up to a TV via a HDMI cable is the picture i'm getting on the screen Componant or RGB?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thank you, i knew most of that but i think my question has gotten a bit confused.

but still not totally clear....ok, how about this. if i hook a PS3 up to a TV via a HDMI cable is the picture i'm getting on the screen Componant or RGB?
    The answer to that is dependent on the Playstation 3, not the HDMI. The Playstation 3 is equipped with an HDMI 1.3a port, and according to Sony, the PS3 fully supports xvYCC and Deep Color. It's not clear whether this is a system-wide standard or on a per-game basis. If it's a system-wide standard, or if it's not but you're playing a game that supports it, then it's neither component nor RGB. xvYCC is a new standard that is above RGB and component. "Deep Color" is just a buzzphrase meaning color depth beyond 24-bit, but it's unknown (at least to me) whether PS3 has 30-, 36-, or 48-bit color.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The answer to that is dependent on the Playstation 3, not the HDMI. The Playstation 3 is equipped with an HDMI 1.3a port, and according to Sony, the PS3 fully supports xvYCC and Deep Color. It's not clear whether this is a system-wide standard or on a per-game basis. If it's a system-wide standard, or if it's not but you're playing a game that supports it, then it's neither component nor RGB. xvYCC is a new standard that is above RGB and component. "Deep Color" is just a buzzphrase meaning color depth beyond 24-bit, but it's unknown (at least to me) whether PS3 has 30-, 36-, or 48-bit color.
    ahh, thank you again

so HDMI is fully capable of transmitting RGB and/or componant. what signal is sent to the TV depends on the device sending.

though i can't say i understand the idea of something above RGB as i thought it was the
    "purest" method that can be used. i mean...is their hidden colors in the world that a new standard is going to magicly allow me to see? but thanks for explaining the HDMI question. I appriciate the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

though i can't say i understand the idea of something above RGB as i thought it was the "purest" method that can be used. i mean...is their hidden colors in the world that a new standard is going to magicly allow me to see?
    Suddenly I miss Anthony1.

RGB is as good as conventional displays are capable of, but newer technology is capable of better color depth.

In standard RGB a color is defined by three 8-bit values, each representing "how much" of red, blue, and green is in the color. However, the range is slightly limited -- instead of the possible values being between 1 and 254, the possible values are only 16 to 235. It was done that way due to the limitations of analog TV sets. Even though we have digital TVs now, RGB still doesn't go beyond those original limitations. xvYCC adds in those "missing" values. It allows much deeper reds, blues, and greens compared to a conventional RGB signal. So yes, there are "hidden" colors in the world that you can't see with normal RGB.

Now here's where it gets really confusing. With Deep Color you can have 48-bit color depth, meaning 16-bit values for red, blue, and green. You can have Deep Color in standard RGB (or component, which is really just a different way of rendering RGB) or xvYCC, and you can have xvYCC with Deep Color or 24-bit color depth. In practice, so far, it has been generally true that you either have both xvYCC and Deep Color, or neither. But they're still pretty new. The distinction is that xvYCC extends the range of possible color, whereas Deep Color extends the number of definable colors within that range. In other words, Deep Color (without xvYCC) doesn't add the missing parts at the high and low end, but it gives you a larger number of possible shades in between (ie, more exactly defined shades).

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

xbox wont send a 1080p over component.

also, most tvs wont receive a 1080p over component (i know mine wont). only hdmi.

i was always led to believe that hdmi is just a higher bandwith capable stream. which is why 1080p is only available through it (not component) [afaik]