Thread: Is Magna Carta rare at all?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Is Magna Carta rare at all?

Its for the ps2, made by atlus. Is it worth much? will it be in the future if its not?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Complete copies will be desirable in the future.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by Oobgarm View Post
    Complete copies will be desirable in the future.
    .......For some unfathomable reason, since the game is complete crap.

Basically, if it's an Atlus title, chances are good that it'll be worth something in the future(small pressings and all of that).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

according to wikipedia...

Numerous copies were made each time it was issued, so all of the participants would each have one — in the case of the 1215 copy, one for the royal archives, one for the Cinque Ports, and one for each of the 40 counties of the time. Several of those copies still exist and some are on permanent display. If there ever was one single 'master copy' of Magna Carta sealed by King John in 1215, it has not survived. Four contemporaneous copies (known as "exemplifications") remain, all of which are located in the UK:

The 'burnt copy', which was found in the records of Dover Castle in the 17th century and so is assumed to be the copy that was sent to the Cinque Ports. It was subsequently involved at a house fire at its owner's property, making it all but illegible. It is the only one of the four to have its seal surviving, although this too was melted out of shape in the fire. It is currently held by the British Library
    Another supposedly original, but possibly amended version of the Magna Carta is on show just outside of the chamber of the House of Lords situated in Westminster Palace.
    One owned by Lincoln Cathedral, normally on display at Lincoln Castle. It has an unbroken attested history at Lincoln since 1216. We hear of it in 1800 when the Chapter Clerk of the Cathedral reported that he held it in the Common Chamber, and then nothing until 1846 when the Chapter Clerk of that time moved from within the Cathedral to a property just outside. In 1848, Magna Carta was shown to a visiting group who reported it as “hanging on the wall in an oak frame in beautiful preservation”. It went to the New York World Fair in 1939 and so had to be held in Fort Knox, next to the original of the US Constitution, until the end of the Second World War. Having returned to Lincoln, it has been back to America on various occasions since then.[9] It was not on display for a time to undergo conservation in preparation for its visit to America, where it was exhibited at the Contemporary Art Center of Virginia from March 30 to June 18, 2007 in recognition of the Jamestown quadricentennial.[10][11]
    From July 4 to July 25, the document was displayed at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia[12], returning to Lincoln Castle afterwards.

One owned by and displayed at Salisbury Cathedral. It is the best conserved of the four.
    Other early versions of Magna Carta survive. Durham Cathedral possesses 1216, 1217, and 1225 copies.[13]

Four copies are held by the Bodleian Library in Oxford. Three of these are 1217 issues and one a 1225 issue. On 10 Dec 2007, these were put on public display for the first time.[14]

In 1952 the Australian Government purchased a 1297 copy of Magna Carta for £12,500. This copy is now on display in the Members' Hall of Parliament House, Canberra. In January 2006, it was announced by the Department of Parliamentary Services that the document had been revalued down from A$40m to A$15m.

Only one copy (a 1297 copy with the royal seal of Edward I) is in private hands; it was held by the Brudenell family, earls of Cardigan, who had owned it for five centuries, before being sold to the Perot Foundation in 1984. This copy, having been on long-term loan to the US National Archives, was auctioned at Sotheby's New York on December 18, 2007; The Perot Foundation sold it in order to "have funds available for medical research, for improving public education and for assisting wounded soldiers and their families."[15] It fetched US$21.3 million,[16] It was bought by David Rubenstein of The Carlyle Group,[17] who after the auction said, "I thought it was very important that the Magna Carta stay in the United States and I was concerned that the only copy in the United States might escape as a result of this auction."

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I would definitely agree with the previous poster that the original Magna Carta document with the signatures is "teh rarez," however, I doubt you can find a copy of that on Ebay or at Gamestop.

I don't know if that was a joke or just a horrible cut and paste mistake, but it's funny either way...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

next time I'll just use a zero wing quote

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
    next time I'll just use a zero wing quote
    Classic.

(this quote... not a Zero Wing quote)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

someone set us up the Magna Carta

...for great justice
    Last edited by Magnum; 12-30-2007 at 07:35 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I've seen copies of Magna Carta (the game made by Atlus) at a bunch of stores for a while. It is a good chance it will retain some sort of value over time for the fact that Atlus titles are desireable by collectors and PS2 RPG fans. Some collectors buy Atlus games just for that reason, since a good portion of Atlus games have the small print runs. I'd personally go for the Digital Devil Saga 1, SMT:Nocturne, and the Growlancer series because those seem to have a shorter print run than most other releases, as well as being good games.