Thread: Started collecting 2600 today!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Started collecting 2600 today!

Well, I'm almost done my collection of NES... only a hundred or so to go now till a complete collection... of course I'll keep collecting them and finding complete or better condition copies but it's getting somewhat boring.

I was at the local comic book / action figure / trading card / retro gaming store and they had a bin of 2600 all either .95 or 1.95. It's always been there but I never bothered to look at em.

Well I brought home $20 worth of em. R1's and R2's but fun none the less. Printed out the DP Lite collectors list and checked them off... it's fun starting a new collection!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    Well I brought home $20 worth of em. R1's and R2's but fun none the less. Printed out the DP Lite collectors list and checked them off... it's fun starting a new collection!
    Actually, I quite miss those days back when I started collecting for the 2600...going to flea markets/pawn shops and getting excited buying $1 commons.

Welcome to the machine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

Congrats on your new endeavor. I imagine the 2600 will be a lot harder to collect for than the NES, but I could be wrong on that. I don't think I'd have the drive and dedication to complete a collection of any one system's games, so I'll just stick to buying what I like and ignoring the rest.

Good luck tracking down more games.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jumping from a hard library to complete to a harder one? That takes dedication. I'm close to wrapping up my NES collection and I decided to finish smaller, easier libraries first. I wrapped up my complete 32x collection last month and I'm almost done with a complete Virtual Boy, Pico, and loose 7800 collection. Going to tackle the Master System next I think, possibly followed by the SNES.

I definately don't have the balls to go after a 2600 collection though. Good luck man, hope you find some killer stuff!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

IMO, the 2600 had the best cartridge artwork of any system (well for the Atari published carts). In that sense, it is fun to collect even if you don't intend of playing the games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    IMO, the 2600 had the best cartridge artwork of any system (well for the Atari published carts). In that sense, it is fun to collect even if you don't intend of playing the games.
    Amen to that, Chief. Also it's great how most of the best games for the system can be found for $5 or less. It's a great feeling to start collecting the 2600 just for the sheer volume that can be had for such little money.

To make things more fun, I suggest trying to complete sets by some random reasoning. For example, I collected my picture labels by color. Fun!
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Just being friends with Rick Weis I decided to collect the 2600. Like some others here after collecting some bigger sets it is fun to just to collect something "as it comes". With my 2600 which is now up to about 350 carts, I have had fun, just asking Rick what is worth getting and playing. Just yesterday I scored a Track n Field cart with controller. Awsome game!
    Last edited by swlovinist; 12-30-2007 at 09:31 PM.
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

At the moment I'm not going to hunt down rare games and pay top dollar for things. Just going to buy them as I see them.

I second the artwork post... these really are cool!

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

At the moment I'm not going to hunt down rare games and pay top dollar for things. Just going to buy them as I see them.
    thats pretty much what I do with the 2600 games. If I see one that I don't have already and its a good price, I'll buy it. I have run into some rare ones along the way (Chuckwagon, Waterworld). Either way I love buying atari games because I always see at least one I don't already have.

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oddly enough, in my neck of the woods, I don't really see alot of 2600 carts. I have always wanted to collect them, I just don't want to have to rely on EVILbay to do it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Well congratulations, Welcome to the world of atari. Watch out for that chainsaw... There goes a Chuckwagon! AAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!

(In case you don't know what I'm talking about, It's a reference to the song "Rock Lobster" By The B-52's)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I need to buy a 2600... seems wrong playing them on my Intellivision II haha

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

get the classic woody 2600 for show & the 2600 jr for daily gaming purposes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

I have a modded AV Telegames "marbled woody". Gosh the 2600 is a badass system!
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist