Thread: sneaky seller tricked me

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default sneaky seller tricked me

i won suikoden II on ebay recently and it arrived in good time and condition...however. the seller had not told me the game was in German. they rightly said it was a pal copy, but it never occurred to me that what i would be getting would be in any language but english. obviously the seller knew this because they cleverly concealed this fact in the original listing (ie by not showing the back of the case) but i'm not sure whether i should, or am even entitled to make a claim at this point. i received the game just less than a month ago and i haven't even played it. do i have a case to get my money back here, or should i hold out and hope i can find another buyer in the near future?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

the seller didn't trick you, they were just a little shady. i would ask them for a refund if possible, if not, try and resell it. how much did you pay for it anyway?

making a claim is the wrong thing to do, it's not like they said it was in English or anything. maybe post a link to the auction so we can help you better.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

gah, i'd rather not say how much i paid. bear in mind i'm new to collecting and this has been by far my noobiest purchase to date...i paid £85. i'm not even interested in playing the game, i just wanted to make "an investment." i guess that's the price i pay for being shallow though, huh. well, i don't think i'll be doing that again. here's the link.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEWN:IT&ih=021

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    walrusmonger
    PSN
    walrusmonger

Well they really didn't trick you, they were just beign shady bastards. They also say "no refunds" in their auction.

They will probably say, "you never asked us what language it was in. we would have been glad to tell you before you placed a bid. no refunds as per our policy."

So I think you're probably not going to win. Did you leave feedback already? Did they leave you feedback? I would be as polite as possible and ask them if a refund is possible, but going through paypal will probably be a fail.

Hopefully other people can chime in and give you more opinions.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would e-mail the seller and see what type of response you get. If they don't want to do anything then I would file a Paypal complaint to try to force the issue and get a refund. Don't wait too much longer before you do. The game was being offered on UK EBAY and buyers would rightly expect the game to be in English. The seller by leaving out that important fact was being deceitful and trying to dupe someone into buying it.
    neotokeo2001

http://neoclassicgames.blogspot.com/
    Atari 2600 Limited Editions

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LOL View Post
    i'm not even interested in playing the game,
    Then what difference does it make what language it is in?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you're right, i will chase this up through the proper channels.

jerseydevil, you have a point- but i would have at least given the game a try if it were in english. i've heard its a good game, but it looks like pretty bland, generic rpg fare to me. i don't really think suikoden has the sort of mystique that warrants collectability, despite its rarity.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are you in a PAL region? I mean why didn't you get a US version? Personally if I saw a PAL version I would have asked what language it was in...hell it could have been Italian, English, German, French, etc. I have plenty of JP PS1 titles that look like they're in English, but I'd never assume a JP game was in English nor a PAL game.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

well yes i am in a pal region (uk) but seeing as the game cover, front cover of the manual and the cd (as shown in the seller photo) were all in english it was pretty fair to assume that the game itself was in english. i didn't find out it was german until i saw the blurb on the back cover.

anyway, pal or not, suikoden is still really rare and i don't recall seeing a single US version in 2 weeks of ebay searching...plus that wouldn't matter since i wouldn't be able to use a US version, would i?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by LOL View Post
    plus that wouldn't matter since i wouldn't be able to use a US version, would i?
    Thought you weren't going to play anyway?

Honestly if a German copy is worth what you paid do you really care? Unless German copies sell for less than those in English given the reason you are buying it who cares?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the german version is less rare than the english version im assuming.

at first i was going to say that i dont think you have reason to complain but then i realized that it being on ebay uk, the default language would have def been english & thats what you were expecting.

its obvious that the fact was concealed so the seller could make more money. & the way he makes more is by ripping off the buyer because the german version isnt worth as much.

email the seller first. i think you got a good complaint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

I read the auction. I am sure you deserve a refund. The auction was written in English and the seller located in the UK no reason to think it would be German. There is a chance he doesn't even know its in German.

I bet the German version is rarer than the English. I dunno if its worth more but it has to have a smaller print run.