Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Trade-Ins [DP Store]

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Very cool thread idea. Bring sback memories of doing the trade-ins at FYE and finding a rare treasure now and then in the batches of games, cds or dvds we would get in.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Did you ever take a trade like Earthbound, that you paid very little for then put it back out at it's street price and then have the seller come back and be ticked off that you did not give them enough for it?
    That's never happened, though I'm quite aware that it could.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    I don't know if this has ever happened but what if the situation were reversed? Someone walks to the counter and points to something in one of those glass cases and presumably wants to pay the sticker price and just before the transaction some other guy comes over and says "I'll pay twenty bucks more." Now it's a negotiation that's happening in the store's best interest and the problem of it taking place on the property of the losing party is not an issue anymore. What happens then?
    It's happened already. We always award "the decision" to whoever comes first. Recently we had a Mario Party DS just before Christmas when everyone was looking for it. Two customers in the store at the same time wanted it, we gave it to the first person who asked. The second person was extremely ticked off and it's a little more complicated than I'm telling it now, but regardless, that's always the way I'd go. And even if she offered us a thousand dollars more it wouldn't matter. Regardless of what's more profitable, running a fair business is priority one.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

OK, today's trade-ins are rather anti-climactic after the last few days and the first post. We took in only $114 in trade-ins, which is uncommonly low (as you shall see) even for our short Sunday hours. So the best we got today...

XBox 360 Mass Effect (complete) - yeah, no big deal, but it's been a big seller, and this is the first time it has been traded in. We took in a DS Lite today as well and they're pretty scarce at this time of year, but in my opinion Mass Effect is the best thing we picked up today.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    It's happened already. We always award "the decision" to whoever comes first. Recently we had a Mario Party DS just before Christmas when everyone was looking for it. Two customers in the store at the same time wanted it, we gave it to the first person who asked. The second person was extremely ticked off and it's a little more complicated than I'm telling it now, but regardless, that's always the way I'd go. And even if she offered us a thousand dollars more it wouldn't matter. Regardless of what's more profitable, running a fair business is priority one.
    It's that kind of behavior that will keep people coming back. I'll be honest, I wouldn't even have considered it bad form if you had said you would open the bidding if it's something that usually couldn't be found in other stores, especially if it's not a new game you can pick up at a Gamestop or Best Buy. To handle it like you do shows a lot of integrity.

XBox 360 Mass Effect (complete) - yeah, no big deal, but it's been a big seller, and this is the first time it has been traded in. We took in a DS Lite today as well and they're pretty scarce at this time of year, but in my opinion Mass Effect is the best thing we picked up today.
    A little off topic but I'm willing to make a prediction. I don't know how many of you know about this but Mass Effect has a serious game ending bug that essentially ruins save files. You load your save and find yourself stuck in an elevator with no escape. I've been affected by it and have been making a big stink on BioWare's official message board (as CVGuile). My prediction is that you're going to see a lot people who got Mass Effect around the holidays trading it in out of sheer frustration. I haven't done so since it's still an amazing game and I'm still holding out to see if BioWare does something about it. If they don't then I lost 30 hours worth of gameplay.

Anyone interested can take a look:
    http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums...8279&forum=124
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 01-06-2008 at 07:16 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, since this seems to be a free shot at asking questions... Have you had people like the above poster come in with things that aren't really for sale just to find out what you'd pay and/or get an estimate of their worth?

I've been tempted to do this with a couple valuable things at the one store in my area that I imagine is most like yours. But my reason is more that the one time I was there for something very simple, the owner was a total douchebag towards me (with my wife and 6mo old with me), and I imagine his prices don't approach fair, so I'm curious. I would have done this already, but it is a 30 min. drive or so, and just doesn't seem worth it.

very cool thread! I look forward to future updates.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This thread is near pointless without a "what you paid vs. items perceived market value" amendment.
    Now Playing: PSOne - Tactics Orge

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Cool thread. I've got a question for you... You touched on the guy with the Wii trading in his collection. What has been the biggest collection someone has ever traded in? Also, what has been the biggest amount someone has gained (cashwise) from a trade in? Ok, it ended up being 2 questions.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I live too far away to be able to find time to visit your store, but on a game like Mass Effect, how much would you normally charge for such a newer release ($60 game) as used in your store? Also, I've been to a random game store where a few rare titles have slipped through the cracks and have been priced at $5 (Chase the Chuckwagon). Has this ever happened to you and have you realized it after the deal had been made?

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

This is a wonderful idea for a thread, Joe.

This is one of the reasons I'd love to run a store of my own, and one of the reasons I always loved huge trade-ins at Funco/GameStop when I worked there.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I know you said you don't do a lot of ebay stuff, but if you ever get any tg16 stuff traded in that just sits there, would you mind selling it on here?
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

Any chance of updating the OP rather than or in addition to posting a message? That way I won't have to dig through 15 pages to find the newest trade-ins. Also updating the title would make life easier too.

But I do think this thread is a great idea.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Well, since this seems to be a free shot at asking questions... Have you had people like the above poster come in with things that aren't really for sale just to find out what you'd pay and/or get an estimate of their worth?
    Frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicat View Post
    What has been the biggest collection someone has ever traded in? Also, what has been the biggest amount someone has gained (cashwise) from a trade in?
    Well, from recent memory, someone in October traded their entire collection in. Many boxed systems including NES Toploader, 3DO, Saturn, Jaguar and Jaguar CD, lots more. Many games that we would consider "rare" if not desirable to collectors. It took nearly 2 hours to go through and test all of that stuff. That same guy answers your question 2. The payout was somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 dollars, one of if not the largest payout we've ever done. Well worth it though - collectors usually take care of their stuff so there isn't a lot of cleaning required before resale.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I live too far away to be able to find time to visit your store, but on a game like Mass Effect, how much would you normally charge for such a newer release ($60 game) as used in your store? Also, I've been to a random game store where a few rare titles have slipped through the cracks and have been priced at $5 (Chase the Chuckwagon). Has this ever happened to you and have you realized it after the deal had been made?
    We price everything a few dollars lower than GameStop. Mass Effect is going for 54.99 there, it's 52.99 in our store. We'll often go much lower but since it's a new game we're just being reasonably competitive vs. crazy cometitive. And no, nothing rare really "slips through the cracks" at my place. I'm pretty good at spotting rarities and if I'm not sure I always check here or google.

Quote Originally Posted by jcalder8 View Post
    Any chance of updating the OP rather than or in addition to posting a message? That way I won't have to dig through 15 pages to find the newest trade-ins. Also updating the title would make life easier too.
    I'm not clear what you're asking. what's an "OP" and how do you propose I update the title?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

A light trade-in Monday. Raj noted a few decent trade-ins like Cooking Mama II and Contra 4 for DS, but today's winner would be...

PS2 Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II (complete): it's not really rare, but we don't get it traded in very often. The game typically goes for over 30 used on Amazon.com (probably more on eBay).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not clear what you're asking. what's an "OP" and how do you propose I update the title?
    I believe what he is asking is, could you update the original post (OP) every day instead of making a new post? By doing this it would save us from having to hunt through the thread for your posts every day. Of course, that would mean that the original post would be pages long by the end of the year, which I'm pretty sure isn't possible, software-wise.

I think it would be nice if you edited the title every time you made a new update with the date, so that we would know there was a new find. Something like "Interesting Trade-Ins (1/8)". I think that would be sufficient, and then there wouldn't be a need for the above request.

Great idea by the way, I'll be following this for as long as you keep it up.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

this thread will definitely make my daily routine...perhaps it can be stickied?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by carlcarlson View Post
    I believe what he is asking is, could you update the original post (OP) every day instead of making a new post?
    OH! I get it.

No. Actually it would make things easier for me in the long run, I could just cut and paste one great big post and make it a "chapter" but by it's not easy forum viewing by any means. Trust me, it's worse having to scroll down many pages of a single post than just clicking on the last post of this thread.

Seriously, all you'll have to do is go to the last post of the thread (click on the last posted icon, it will take you to the end instead of the beginning). It's not going to be a big deal. Trust me, I hate wading thru posts too, and have some experience with reading and posting in a forum... this will work out for the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A light trade-in Monday. Raj noted a few decent trade-ins like Cooking Mama II and Contra 4 for DS, but today's winner would be...

PS2 Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance II (complete): it's not really rare, but we don't get it traded in very often. The game typically goes for over 30 used on Amazon.com (probably more on eBay).
    I was in a gamestop today and this game was priced at $49.99. WTF?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I'm not closed yet so I'll change this if someone comes in with something better over the next 20 minutes. Lots of common stuff today, a few PS2 systems including the silver one. Hard to choose from the commons but I'll say:

XBox 360 Premium Console - loose but in perfect working order. Sold by a fairly regular customer who was given this one because "it doesn't work right". Yeah, that sounds great - the problem was the power supply, which didn't even light up. Extensive tests (well, a half hour's worth) show it works perfectly otherwise. $150 in store credit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Seriously, all you'll have to do is go to the last post of the thread (click on the last posted icon, it will take you to the end instead of the beginning). It's not going to be a big deal. Trust me, I hate wading thru posts too, and have some experience with reading and posting in a forum... this will work out for the best.
    yeah - its better this way. its how all forums are run & is like 2nd nature to me to click "last page" of a large thread. plus it saves the old info for posterity.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

A lot of trade-ins today. We got PS1 Rival Schools and Xenogears which were close contenders but I'm gonna vote:

PS1 Einhander (complete) - it's in great condition and it's so often asked about in this store. I guarantee less than 2 days on the shelf before it is gone again. Oddly enough, this was part of a young girl's collection who has apparently moved away from PS1 stuff (other odd games in her collection included Gran Turismo and Driver 2 but NOT Spyro).