TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post

Yes, on several occasions a bona fide COLLECTOR has unloaded or partially unloaded his collection at the store. People really do "get out of this", priorities change and on a number of occasions I've heard "I'm keeping the few games I play, everything else must go".

That sounds like me, aafter deciding to get rid of out of most of my collection.. and keeping the few games,systems that I play.

I haven't made that much a dent yet but I have brought up a lot of stuff to Joes store.
    The most thing I enjoy about going to see Joe is talking about games with him..

I have decided to sell because:
    To Fund My Pocketbike/MinimotoGp Racing..The $2500.00 bike I bought was paid for mostly by stuff I sold to Joe.
    This bike has brought me many trophies and still is raced by me.
    I may have surpassed the $800.00 trade in on one trip,I dunno..or was close..

Too much stuff,wanting to play less old stuff and focus on new stuff only.(I play online games now more then anything ,LIVE and PSN)
    My last trade in to Joes store included my Genesis Boxed and loose Game Collection,minus a few keeper games for the Nomad and some Genny systems that I was too damn lazy to box up..
    My goal was to buy a PS3 so I traded in my Genny game collection ..
    I got my PS3 and some games and had credit left..SWEET..I got the good PS3 and decided to get one at a good time..
    The PS3 is the best damn thing I bought to date,I love it!!..(all the Genny games did was sit on a hidden shelf,I never had the time to play them but the PS3 I play the crap out of.
    Give up one thing to get another...I'm very happy with my PS3..
    This trade in may have been up in the $$..

Too much Stuff,Make Room For the New Baby.
    This included me getting Rid of my Tekken 3 Arcade Machine/I took it apart and sold the Board.(trashed the cab as it was huge!!
    The Monitor I still have in storage,I offered it to Joe Free..I just haven't had the time to drop it off and or I'm not sure if he still wants it.
    It does have an adjustment boad pot issue.(something that can be dealt with once hooked up once known about)
    I still want to get rid of My Neo Geo 2 Slot Woody and the Little Klax Conversion cab(was Mini Galaga)..=Make room for the now here baby..

Too much Stuff/complaints by the Landlords who live upstairs..
    For some reason due to the amount of games I have they think/thought I am running some kind of store..I don't know why..They don't understand the collect games thing factor.
    I explain,how can I be running a store if you never see customers,no one comes in and out of here.
    When the Male landlord first saw my Pinball Machine he said,What's the Price on that?..Huh?.Your selling this RIGHT?.I said,it's not for sale it's mine..These machines,games are my collection..
    After all the arguements with them about me having way too big of a game collection I agreed to "lessen" it..and keep only one Arcade Machine=Big Red/My Pinball machine..'and" my Pocketbikes
    Pocketbikes I'd had figure them to complain about but they have never become an issue..But they hate games for some reason.
    I hated it..But it works/worked out as I've made a lot of room and am still getting rid of stuff I just don't touch...All they did was push me in the right decision,a decision that I just could not push myself to do..
    I'm not happy having a big game collection anymore..
    Though I still have the desire to collect some vintage games I don't have the desire like I did before.
    I only got rid of 1 Arcade machine..I'm keeping both Big Reds and have moved/hid my other machines in a room that they don't go in..
    Then I go and buy the Ms Pac Man Cocktail table.

I have a bunch of games that I have to bring up to Joe,I just need to find the time to get my ass up there..

Joe is always very good with his trade in Values,I've always left there with having got more then I expected or hoped for..His staff is very smart,nice and good working too... they have even noted on things that I missed.
    I've always came out of Joes store happy with my trade in value.. Joes honest and a great person to know and do business with..
    I'm glad to know him..

Joe's store is a Game Collectors Paridise..I enjoy just going up ther just to look around and see things I've never seen before..

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    My last trade in to Joes store included my Genesis Boxed and loose Game Collection,minus a few keeper games for the Nomad and some Genny systems that I was too damn lazy to box up..
    My goal was to buy a PS3 so I traded in my Genny game collection ..
    So you're the guy who traded all those Genny games in. I bought quite a few of them. Good games that were in real nice shape.

Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No update for today? Also, it'd be nice if this thread got stickied.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Light trade-in day. We got some decent 360 and PS3 games but the best of the lot..

PS3 Guitar Hero 3 Bundle (complete) - not all THAT big a deal, but these bundles are still pretty scarce. We had 4 PS3 bundles before the holiday weekends and I haven't been able to get them new since, so good to have one back in stock.

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Still an hour and a half to closing but things usually start winding down around now.

I thought YESTERDAY was a light trade-in day! Consider this: over a month of time, my sales-to-trade-in (money we paid out) ratio is about 3-to-1. TODAY we had a grand total of $145 in trade-ins, and nearly $3500 in sales. This thread has been interesting because it puts days under the microscope and on days like today it's actually difficult to determine what the "best trade in" was.

PSP System (loose) - yeah, the trade-ins were *that* light today. The guy didn't even have the charger. Still, used PSP's sell very well here and I'll bet this is gone again by Monday.

or...

GBA Import System (half black, half silver, with the new brighter screen) - traded in with a loose Street Fighter GBA cart. Pretty cool, not super cool. Traded in by a pretty young kid who's a good regular customer.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Still an hour and a half to closing but things usually start winding down around now.

I thought YESTERDAY was a light trade-in day! Consider this: over a month of time, my sales-to-trade-in (money we paid out) ratio is about 3-to-1. TODAY we had a grand total of $145 in trade-ins, and nearly $3500 in sales. This thread has been interesting because it puts days under the microscope and on days like today it's actually difficult to determine what the "best trade in" was.

PSP System (loose) - yeah, the trade-ins were *that* light today. The guy didn't even have the charger. Still, used PSP's sell very well here and I'll bet this is gone again by Monday.

or...

GBA Import System (half black, half silver, with the new brighter screen) - traded in with a loose Street Fighter GBA cart. Pretty cool, not super cool. Traded in by a pretty young kid who's a good regular customer.
    Most of the independent game stores around me have do not get enough trade-ins (perhaps they don't offer enough?). They seem to have issues like this where they sell more than they take in and over time their inventory dwindles down to the point where the store is not worth visiting.

None of the stores left in my area see trade-ins anywhere near what you seem to be receiving though.

I think $3500 beats out an average day at most Gamestops...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Most of the independent game stores around me have do not get enough trade-ins (perhaps they don't offer enough?). They seem to have issues like this where they sell more than they take in and over time their inventory dwindles down to the point where the store is not worth visiting.

None of the stores left in my area see trade-ins anywhere near what you seem to be receiving though.
    This is why yesterday I traded in games for the first time ever. A Play and Trade opened near me which is locally owned, the closest thing to a indy store we have. Their inventory is on the light side so I traded in to help them out a small bit. Hopefully it helps.

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Better today despite the short Sunday hours.

Crimson/Black "Brain Age" DS System (complete) - traded in with box, instructions, and in mint condition, lord knows why. This will most likely replace my white DS. Also in this trade-in, Geometry Wars, The Simpsons, and Call of Duty 4 (which I still find hilarious) for the DS.

Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lets see, the last thing that I traded in was pretty much all my Game Gear stuff (loose, btw). All my games, about 10 of them were fine, but apparently the Game Gear itself wasn't working anymore...

Ironic.

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Today.

A Mega Man guy came along and traded in...

NES Mega Man (loose) - the first of the series. Rarely traded in, always in and out of here fast.

SNES Mega Man X3
    (loose) - tough to find, this one goes in the display case. The last X3 we sold was in the display case for about 2 days.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post

I think $3500 beats out an average day at most Gamestops...
    Funny I was talking to my friend who manages a gamestop and he said it has been slow since christmas. Last wed he said he deposited 50 dollars cash. He said Tues sales were 1100 for the day credit tradein mix. Dec the lines at each register was 8 deep.I have heard at various gamestop the mgr discussing hour cutbacks with the employees.
    neo geo system

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    Funny I was talking to my friend who manages a gamestop and he said it has been slow since christmas. Last wed he said he deposited 50 dollars cash. He said Tues sales were 1100 for the day credit tradein mix. Dec the lines at each register was 8 deep.I have heard at various gamestop the mgr discussing hour cutbacks with the employees.
    Well, I neither have the extreme highs that GameStop has (8 deep? I've never had that), nor the lows (my January has been quite busy, as it was last year this time).

Then again, I view my business as a different kind of thing than GameStop. "Old" games & systems, LAN center, system repairs, and of course top-notch chatter In fact, I work very hard at getting repeat business, both from customers buying and customers trading in which I believe keeps things steady during tough retail times.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

"Then again, I view my business as a different kind of thing than GameStop. "Old" games & systems, LAN center, system repairs, and of course top-notch chatter."

...And the opportunity to appear in a DP comic through illicit camera shots...

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lots to choose from today.

Sega CDX System (loose) - also currently broken, but it's a door-sensor issue. Traded in by a Sega guy who dug this out of the attic, it was missing some wires but presumed "working" (as of the last time he played it). We'll get it running.

SMS Phantasy Star and Genesis Phantasy Star II (complete) - traded in by the same guy.

NES Tengen Tetris (complete) - ironically I had just purchased one of these from a forum member which arrived mere days before this one was traded in. Part of an NES collection but the only other complete one was Baseball Stars.

XBox 360 HD DVD Player (new) - the box was opened but none of the contents were removed from their packaging. Nice buy for the store though I don't see a big demand for this, we'll see.

Banned
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

what would you like to sell SMS PS and the HDDVD player for?

Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You definately get some cool stuff on a near daily basis.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Tons of blah, common stuff today. One stands out.

GameCube Mario Party 4 (complete) - in nice shape, this one doesn't get traded in very often.

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nothing too great traded in today, we did get another used PS3 system, but today we had a weird trade-in anomaly.

Wii Manhunt 2 AND PS2 Manhunt 2 (complete) - the anomaly is obvious but neither of these games had been traded in here before, and on the same day, about two hours apart and from two different customers, whammo.

Banned
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wait... whats the anomaly ?

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    wait... whats the anomaly ?
    Oh boy. I probably need to define these things in black and white from now on, sorry.

Anomaly 1:
    Manhunt 2 and Manhunt 2 (the anomaly being that they're the same game on two different systems on the same day).

Anomaly 2:
    Two games traded in within hours had not been traded in ever in the previous 2 months.

Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question about the store:
    Does it happen often that someone comes in to trade in items, is told the trade in value of said items and walks away saying they can get 1000% more on eBay? Meanwhile they just walked in with a Sega Genesis and Sonic 1.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kejoriv View Post
    Question about the store:
    Does it happen often that someone comes in to trade in items, is told the trade in value of said items and walks away saying they can get 1000% more on eBay? Meanwhile they just walked in with a Sega Genesis and Sonic 1.
    I'd bet that the more common scenario and/or reaction is that somebody brings in a copy of Madden 2005 for PS2 or XBOX and goes:

"WHAT? (FSHHH) .... DAMN, YO." (and then turn to look at their friends that came in with them for some type of reaction)

when Joe, Maryah, Raj, Murf or any of the other employees tell them that the trade in credit is less than a dollar.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

classicus carnivorous
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't hear the "I can get more on eBay scenario" NEARLY as much as I thought I would when I started this. Honestly, maybe 3 or 4 times in 2 years.

Today:

Atari 7800 Sealed Games - included some pretty common ones like One-on-One and Super Huey, but also included Dark Chambers and Mat Mania Challenge, among others. Apparently a Goodwill find from many years ago from a 30-ish guy who brought his ColecoVision and 2 Atari 5200 controllers in for repair.

Xbox LIVE
    shupirate
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Joe I have to stop in. I know I promise to visit more, but I really need to come by again. Hopefully one day next week I will come over after work.

Your the man

Dustin

Strawberry (Level 2) Dastardly Dylan's Avatar
    Xbox LIVE
    D2ME
    PSN
    D2ME
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Today I got a free Game Gear from Joe