Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Trade-Ins [DP Store]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    XBox 360 Premium Console - loose but in perfect working order. Sold by a fairly regular customer who was given this one because "it doesn't work right". Yeah, that sounds great - the problem was the power supply, which didn't even light up. Extensive tests (well, a half hour's worth) show it works perfectly otherwise. $150 in store credit.
    I would toss that on Xbox Live and make sure the console isn't banned. Might not be a bad test to run on all 360's to be honest...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Frequently.

Well, from recent memory, someone in October traded their entire collection in. Many boxed systems including NES Toploader, 3DO, Saturn, Jaguar and Jaguar CD, lots more. Many games that we would consider "rare" if not desirable to collectors. It took nearly 2 hours to go through and test all of that stuff. That same guy answers your question 2. The payout was somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 dollars, one of if not the largest payout we've ever done. Well worth it though - collectors usually take care of their stuff so there isn't a lot of cleaning required before resale
    Wow 800.00 I seen the video of the guys with the common stuff. He must have drove up there with a truck

I am curious when I lived in jersey city my apartment was a magnet for kids. They would come over and play for hours. I didn't care I got to see levels finished I would never have gotten to. I noticed you have a lan going on. I am sure your store is a magnet for the loitering youth/ Adult. How does your store deal with kids that really might not have the money but loves the store...
    neo geo system

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by ProgrammingAce View Post
    I would toss that on Xbox Live and make sure the console isn't banned. Might not be a bad test to run on all 360's to be honest...
    You are quite right about that. We've had one banned machine traded in already and we were "lucky" that the seller told us this up front (maybe because we have a reputation of taking 30 minutes to test a 360).

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by gepeto View Post
    I noticed you have a lan going on. I am sure your store is a magnet for the loitering youth/ Adult. How does your store deal with kids that really might not have the money but loves the store...
    Ha ha... if you only knew me.

Let's put aside the fact that I can be pretty brutal to loitering youths. Beyond that, there really isn't anything for them to do in my store but stand around and stare at stuff. And even THAT has reduced quite a bit over the years. You have to pay to use the LAN or play the arcade games, and even the kiosks are shut down unless I *want* traffic, like at NAVA meetings or on some Friday nights and Saturdays. Otherwise, I see very little if any "loitering" in the shop.

And still, I'm pretty high on the popularity charts here in Clifton. At least that's what I hear whispered among the parents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love this thread. I always wanted to work at a game store just to see what gets traded in and maybe get dibs on some of the stuff (not to mention the discount!).

Have you ever had any odd systems come in like a Bandai/Apple Pippin/@mark or a Comodore Amiga CD32?

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Well, from recent memory, someone in October traded their entire collection in. Many boxed systems including NES Toploader, 3DO, Saturn, Jaguar and Jaguar CD, lots more. Many games that we would consider "rare" if not desirable to collectors. It took nearly 2 hours to go through and test all of that stuff. That same guy answers your question 2. The payout was somewhere in the neighborhood of 800 dollars, one of if not the largest payout we've ever done. Well worth it though - collectors usually take care of their stuff so there isn't a lot of cleaning required before resale.
    I missed a "motherload" haul like that a few months ago. I worked with a guy who had just sold all his stuff to a local game shop. He said he wanted to get at least $300 for it but he left with over $800. He rattled off a list of gear that included TG-16 CD, Sega CD, NES, Genny, all kinds of good stuff. Man, I'd have flipped over a deal like that.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

OK, just a half hour left in the day, so the winner is:

Sega Master System 3D Glasses (boxed, complete) - In great condition and even had the manual. The guy that traded it in said he's a collector and he's got doubles of a lot of stuff. There wasn't much else in his lot worth mentioning here, the glasses definitely seemed out of place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

You mention taking in some stuff from "collectors". What kind of trade in values do you give to a collector verses a random person? Any difference at all? What about compared to "ebay values" and that non-sense?

Do you find most "collectors" take store credit or cash (if offered at your store).

I ask because a good friend of mine owns a video game store where I live and he comes across similiar situations and I wonder how you handle them. He's also able to move copies of very popular Nintendo games (Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Contra, etc) all day for WAY over ebay prices; you guys doing the same?
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by blissfulnoise View Post
    You mention taking in some stuff from "collectors". What kind of trade in values do you give to a collector verses a random person? Any difference at all? What about compared to "ebay values" and that non-sense?
    I pretty much take everyone on a case-by-case basis. People who take care of their stuff get the best deals from me. Condition is really important in trade-ins here. I often tell customers that they could maximize their sales on eBay. I can't remember anyone ever saying "yeah, I'll do that instead".

Do you find most "collectors" take store credit or cash (if offered at your store).
    Again, case-by-case. In the case where the person is trying to thin out their collection, it's often credit - boxloads of games for a few really new ones, for example. In other cases they're "getting out" and simply want to liquidate.

He's also able to move copies of very popular Nintendo games (Mario Kart, Smash Brothers, Zelda, Contra, etc) all day for WAY over ebay prices; you guys doing the same?
    I've been tempted but no. I probably *could* do that - someone would come along and pay it, but my concern would be the dozen or so people who pass on it because it's clearly overpriced. Those people might not come back, and worse, they may remember my store as the place that overpriced some really common games. So I keep my prices fair and always try to stay under the current eBay trends.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

I've been tempted but no. I probably *could* do that - someone would come along and pay it, but my concern would be the dozen or so people who pass on it because it's clearly overpriced. Those people might not come back, and worse, they may remember my store as the place that overpriced some really common games. So I keep my prices fair and always try to stay under the current eBay trends.
    I guess it has to do with availability too. My friend pretty much has a lock on the "classic" gaming market here. No other stores in this city carry pre-PS2 stuff now. Most people don't know anything about the collectable aspects of the hobby or how much this stuff is really worth on the open market. They're just stoked to find a copy of Super Mario World in a store.

Thanks for the feedback too.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Yes, on several occasions a bona fide COLLECTOR has unloaded or partially unloaded his collection at the store. People really do "get out of this", priorities change and on a number of occasions I've heard "I'm keeping the few games I play, everything else must go".

That sounds like me, aafter deciding to get rid of out of most of my collection.. and keeping the few games,systems that I play.

I haven't made that much a dent yet but I have brought up a lot of stuff to Joes store.
    The most thing I enjoy about going to see Joe is talking about games with him..

I have decided to sell because:
    To Fund My Pocketbike/MinimotoGp Racing..The $2500.00 bike I bought was paid for mostly by stuff I sold to Joe.
    This bike has brought me many trophies and still is raced by me.
    I may have surpassed the $800.00 trade in on one trip,I dunno..or was close..

Too much stuff,wanting to play less old stuff and focus on new stuff only.(I play online games now more then anything ,LIVE and PSN)
    My last trade in to Joes store included my Genesis Boxed and loose Game Collection,minus a few keeper games for the Nomad and some Genny systems that I was too damn lazy to box up..
    My goal was to buy a PS3 so I traded in my Genny game collection ..
    I got my PS3 and some games and had credit left..SWEET..I got the good PS3 and decided to get one at a good time..
    The PS3 is the best damn thing I bought to date,I love it!!..(all the Genny games did was sit on a hidden shelf,I never had the time to play them but the PS3 I play the crap out of.
    Give up one thing to get another...I'm very happy with my PS3..
    This trade in may have been up in the $$..

Too much Stuff,Make Room For the New Baby.
    This included me getting Rid of my Tekken 3 Arcade Machine/I took it apart and sold the Board.(trashed the cab as it was huge!!
    The Monitor I still have in storage,I offered it to Joe Free..I just haven't had the time to drop it off and or I'm not sure if he still wants it.
    It does have an adjustment boad pot issue.(something that can be dealt with once hooked up once known about)
    I still want to get rid of My Neo Geo 2 Slot Woody and the Little Klax Conversion cab(was Mini Galaga)..=Make room for the now here baby..

Too much Stuff/complaints by the Landlords who live upstairs..
    For some reason due to the amount of games I have they think/thought I am running some kind of store..I don't know why..They don't understand the collect games thing factor.
    I explain,how can I be running a store if you never see customers,no one comes in and out of here.
    When the Male landlord first saw my Pinball Machine he said,What's the Price on that?..Huh?.Your selling this RIGHT?.I said,it's not for sale it's mine..These machines,games are my collection..
    After all the arguements with them about me having way too big of a game collection I agreed to "lessen" it..and keep only one Arcade Machine=Big Red/My Pinball machine..'and" my Pocketbikes
    Pocketbikes I'd had figure them to complain about but they have never become an issue..But they hate games for some reason.
    I hated it..But it works/worked out as I've made a lot of room and am still getting rid of stuff I just don't touch...All they did was push me in the right decision,a decision that I just could not push myself to do..
    I'm not happy having a big game collection anymore..
    Though I still have the desire to collect some vintage games I don't have the desire like I did before.
    I only got rid of 1 Arcade machine..I'm keeping both Big Reds and have moved/hid my other machines in a room that they don't go in..
    Then I go and buy the Ms Pac Man Cocktail table.

I have a bunch of games that I have to bring up to Joe,I just need to find the time to get my ass up there..

Joe is always very good with his trade in Values,I've always left there with having got more then I expected or hoped for..His staff is very smart,nice and good working too... they have even noted on things that I missed.
    I've always came out of Joes store happy with my trade in value.. Joes honest and a great person to know and do business with..
    I'm glad to know him..

Joe's store is a Game Collectors Paridise..I enjoy just going up ther just to look around and see things I've never seen before..

Strawberry (Level 2) JerseyDevil65's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Videogamerdaryll View Post
    My last trade in to Joes store included my Genesis Boxed and loose Game Collection,minus a few keeper games for the Nomad and some Genny systems that I was too damn lazy to box up..
    My goal was to buy a PS3 so I traded in my Genny game collection ..
    So you're the guy who traded all those Genny games in. I bought quite a few of them. Good games that were in real nice shape.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Badge 714
    PSN
    midnighthobo

No update for today? Also, it'd be nice if this thread got stickied.
    Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one. - Thomas Paine

America can always be counted on to do the right thing after they have exhausted all other possibilities. - Winston Churchill

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Light trade-in day. We got some decent 360 and PS3 games but the best of the lot..

PS3 Guitar Hero 3 Bundle (complete) - not all THAT big a deal, but these bundles are still pretty scarce. We had 4 PS3 bundles before the holiday weekends and I haven't been able to get them new since, so good to have one back in stock.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Still an hour and a half to closing but things usually start winding down around now.

I thought YESTERDAY was a light trade-in day! Consider this: over a month of time, my sales-to-trade-in (money we paid out) ratio is about 3-to-1. TODAY we had a grand total of $145 in trade-ins, and nearly $3500 in sales. This thread has been interesting because it puts days under the microscope and on days like today it's actually difficult to determine what the "best trade in" was.

PSP System (loose) - yeah, the trade-ins were *that* light today. The guy didn't even have the charger. Still, used PSP's sell very well here and I'll bet this is gone again by Monday.

or...

GBA Import System (half black, half silver, with the new brighter screen) - traded in with a loose Street Fighter GBA cart. Pretty cool, not super cool. Traded in by a pretty young kid who's a good regular customer.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

Still an hour and a half to closing but things usually start winding down around now.

I thought YESTERDAY was a light trade-in day! Consider this: over a month of time, my sales-to-trade-in (money we paid out) ratio is about 3-to-1. TODAY we had a grand total of $145 in trade-ins, and nearly $3500 in sales. This thread has been interesting because it puts days under the microscope and on days like today it's actually difficult to determine what the "best trade in" was.

PSP System (loose) - yeah, the trade-ins were *that* light today. The guy didn't even have the charger. Still, used PSP's sell very well here and I'll bet this is gone again by Monday.

or...

GBA Import System (half black, half silver, with the new brighter screen) - traded in with a loose Street Fighter GBA cart. Pretty cool, not super cool. Traded in by a pretty young kid who's a good regular customer.
    Most of the independent game stores around me have do not get enough trade-ins (perhaps they don't offer enough?). They seem to have issues like this where they sell more than they take in and over time their inventory dwindles down to the point where the store is not worth visiting.

None of the stores left in my area see trade-ins anywhere near what you seem to be receiving though.

I think $3500 beats out an average day at most Gamestops...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Trebuken View Post
    Most of the independent game stores around me have do not get enough trade-ins (perhaps they don't offer enough?). They seem to have issues like this where they sell more than they take in and over time their inventory dwindles down to the point where the store is not worth visiting.

None of the stores left in my area see trade-ins anywhere near what you seem to be receiving though.
    This is why yesterday I traded in games for the first time ever. A Play and Trade opened near me which is locally owned, the closest thing to a indy store we have. Their inventory is on the light side so I traded in to help them out a small bit. Hopefully it helps.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Better today despite the short Sunday hours.

Crimson/Black "Brain Age" DS System (complete) - traded in with box, instructions, and in mint condition, lord knows why. This will most likely replace my white DS. Also in this trade-in, Geometry Wars, The Simpsons, and Call of Duty 4 (which I still find hilarious) for the DS.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Lets see, the last thing that I traded in was pretty much all my Game Gear stuff (loose, btw). All my games, about 10 of them were fine, but apparently the Game Gear itself wasn't working anymore...

Ironic.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Today.

A Mega Man guy came along and traded in...

NES Mega Man (loose) - the first of the series. Rarely traded in, always in and out of here fast.

SNES Mega Man X3
    (loose) - tough to find, this one goes in the display case. The last X3 we sold was in the display case for about 2 days.