Thread: US Neo Geo AES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default US Neo Geo AES

I am new to Neo Geo and would like to get into it at some point. Just would like to know how much a boxed US version of one is worth? And how can you tell if its a US or a Japanese version? Also, are most games expensive or just a select few?

(Been looking on ebay and have been getting confused. I figured the way you could tell is by the writing on the box...whether its english or japanese. but I have seen english box then in the description they say its a japanese version...)

Sorry if this is an idiot question...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

no one can help?

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

I can...sort of..

A boxed US AES will cost around $200-300.

Most games will cost a lot due to shipping alone, but the average price for the later releases is still about $150 min.

However, there are AES out there that have S-video, stereo, composite and Unibios modes, and those will cost a butt-load. (thats coming from someone who only has a student job) Thats probably what you would want since the standard AES is mono sound. You can also pick up a converter to play MVS games, which are much cheaper.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

next dumb question, what is the difference between AES and MVS games? and why would shipping cost so much?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Borrowed from the www.neo-geo.com glossary:

AES/AES Cartridge

Term describing cartridges for the Neo Geo home system (also known as home carts). Stands for Advanced Entertainment System. The term originally described the system itself: the English language logo for the Neo Geo had “Advanced Entertainment System” stamped between the Neo and Geo -fulfilling the Japanese love for adding superlatives to their product descriptions. The term has now become a popular short hand for describing a Home Cartridge (i.e. “I traded my Robo Army CD for his Metal Slug 3 AES.”). AES carts are not compatible with the arcade (MVS) system (except by conversion). Alternatively described as "NGH" games.

MVS/MVS Cartridge

Term describing cartridges for the Neo Geo arcade system. Stands for Multi Video System. The term is actually part of the name of the arcade system: the Neo Geo Multi Video System (See Neo Geo MVS). Although they contain the same “guts” (ROM chips and such), they are not compatible with the home system (different size outputs). They manufacturer did this to prevent arcade operators from buying the then cheaper home carts (MVS carts debut in the $500-$1200+ range, home carts in the $180-$300 range).

As for the shipping, a boxed AES cart weighs in at about 1 1/2 lbs. with no packing material. A MVS kit would weigh more if it was complete.

JY

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ah thank you Jimmy. its all confusing - i search ebay and find AES games for less than 100$ and i always knew they were more expensive than that...so it made me believe they werent the US versions or something...i dont know, i guess i will just research the neogeo more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by Gorez View Post
    ah thank you Jimmy. its all confusing - i search ebay and find AES games for less than 100$ and i always knew they were more expensive than that...so it made me believe they werent the US versions or something...i dont know, i guess i will just research the neogeo more.
    AES games are not region-protected, so you don't have to worry about that. JPN games are usually cheaper. AES and MVS carts are HUGE and heavy, so thats why they cost a lot to ship.

MVS games are usually cheaper then AES games, and everyone says that in the long run that you should go the MVS route.

Actually, I would try to get a JPN AES since its cheaper.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

since the carts are so expensive, are the games really worth the money? or is it pretty much specifically a collectors system.

i see that neo-geo.com has one of those neo geo's with s video and composite for like 680$ thats insane. also i see a MVS to AES convertor for like $250...thats also insane. but the MVS games do seem to be way cheaper on that website.

looks like in order to collect neo geo your bread factory needs to be baking some mega dough. almost 1,000$ just for the system and a MVS convertor with zero games. or 1,000$ for the system and maybe 1-3 AES games. would be hard to convince the little lady on spending that much for neo geo stuff. but how much would a complete neo geo set be? freaking 100k$ haha
    Last edited by Gorez; 01-07-2008 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Its kinda a rich-boy system. I plan on getting an MVS setup; the arcade cabinet and the whole shebang down the line. It depends on your tastes. I love fighters and puzzle games. If you are a straight RPG gamer, its not the system for you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

damn i remember a few years ago when they had a mint new box of neo geo aes systems for sale on neogeo.com.now that was expensive!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

AES systems are much more rare and if your into neo-geo it'd be worth it to get it modded...I prefer RGB....but it all depends on what serial number the AES is because different generations of the systems play better on different video selections. You can buy a converter to play MVS games on your home system and the converter itself is about 250...but it will save money in the long run buying MVS games. AES systems are really cool but if you're just trying to have one to play a few games I recommend getting a cab or just a board and a supergun to save money.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The questions for you are!

How much do you want to spend? AES OR MVS OR CD OR NEO POCKET

Neo Geo has become a collectors market lately but ever since the game was released in 2003 it's dropped. I'm abit out of the scene so you know so I'm trying to recall somethings. I had $15K invested in Neo Geo AES. I sold majority of it but I still have some of my rare US AES carts left for sale. The hobby was getting too expensive for me so I moved on. Plus I needed mortgage money. lol $15K helps! There's your share of cheap carts and expensive ones. I'd say if you got money to blow well the Neo is for you. Or just go the cheaper route and get an MVS cab with games. I dunno Im just rambling on and on as Im so tired right now. lol Any questions you got PM me. I mainly know about AES not too much about the others.

I'm a member on neo-geo.com but I havent gone back there in like almost a year. I just lost interest plus expenses in the system.

Yeah the new old stock Neo Geo AES Systems were selling for $1,500.00 a pop.

The Best Fighter in HISTORY!!!