Thread: Testing AC Power Supply?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Testing AC Power Supply?

Okay...so some of you might know that I have an X-eye. However, when I got it, it didn't come with its original power supply. So, all this time I had been using a Genesis 2 power supply with it. It worked fine, however the X-eye did exhibit some odd issues from time to time such as CDs games locking up, or taking a long time to init the games..etc.

For those that are curious. The Genesis 2 power supply is a 10v@.86amp supply.

The Eye says it needs a 9.5v@1amp supply.

So today while I was at a flea market I found an ac adapter spec'd at 10.5v@1amp. I went ahead and picked it up thinking I could use it for the X-eye. Even at a volt above that spec'd on the X-eye I didn't figure there would be any problem.

so my question is this:

What would the rating on this PS normally be without a load on it? I ask because I tested the adapter upon getting home and while the adapter states 10.5v on it..I get just under 16v when I metered it out without a load. That seems a tad high to me? If it is too high, what might cause an AC adapter to output higher than it is rated to? I did take the adapter apart to look for anything obvious but to be honest it is clean in there and looks hardly used.

I did go ahead and try it on the x-eye and the x-eye works just fine with it. Better than before honestly. But, I have noticed two things that don't happen when using a Gen2 power supply on it.

One is that only when using a cartridge in the X-eye and not the CD portion, there is a very audible hum coming through when the game starts up. If you play a Sega CD game or use the CD player functions, this hum isn't audible at all.

The second thing is that using this power supply on the X-eye, the X-eye itself gets very very very warm about a half inch above the cart slot. It does get warm with the Gen2 power supply as well, but not as hot as it does with this one. I'm going to assume the extra 1volt above the rated need for the X-eye is causing this?

So...what do you think? Is the nearly 16v output without load on that supply too high when it clearly states it should only be 10.5v? Should I go ahead and use it on the x-eye since the x-eye doesn't blow up using it? At least..not yet? What about that hum? There is a 1inch piece of ferrite around this newer power supply so what else would cause the hum? Too much juice...even an extra volt?

In short...what the hell do you think?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Having an AC adapter with a larger amp rating is ok, as the console will only take what it needs.

Having an AC adapter with a larger voltage rating is so-so.. I don't think 1volt over will do anything, the X-Eye has V-Regulators in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unregulated power supplies like those tend to read high when unloaded. The only way to be sure is to remeasure it under load. Just meter it with the case off & power on.

As to the hum, remember: garbage in, garbage out. Start by checking for AC ripple on the new power supply.

The 1V difference should be neglegable.