Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Does anyone play the 3DO anymore?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Are there five games that justify purchasing a 3DO?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't have one myself, but I probably will get one sooner or later, cuz I'm just like that. But I've never played one, I know nobody whose even heard of a 3Do either. What's stopped me from getting one so far, is that any FMV I can play on my Sega CD, and it seems that a lot of the games on the system I can find on PS1 or some other system, so I've yet to have a need. Road Rash is fun, but it's not gonna get me to buy a whole system.

I love obscure consoles tho, so I will pick one up sooner or later. I have seen 3Do games in the wild, but never an actual console. There's a bunch more I plan to get before the 3Do though, like the Turbografx and Atari 7800. I just finally got all the Sega consoles tho, so that cost me enough money for now, and they will keep me busy enough for now. The only one I'm missing is whatever that thing was they made before the Master System.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like a cool system tho, I just know very little about the games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Are there five games that justify purchasing a 3DO?

Easily...

1. Out of this World (Another World) - Best version of this game BY FAR

2. Road Rash - Easily the best version of Road Rash all-time.

3. Gex - This was the original platform game for 3DO, yes it appeared elsewhere, but if you want to play it where it was born....

4. AD & D Slayer - Ok, this was Skyrim, like 20 years before Skyrim.... Although I'm not sure it would be fun to play in 2014 (just too damn long)

5. Alone in the Dark - Basically without this game, Resident Evil wouldn't have happened a couple of years later.

Honorable Mention:

1. Escape From Monster Manor - Very good early doom clone if you forgive the fact that they don't have ceiling or floor textures.
    2. Wolfenstein - I think this probably the best version of Wolfenstein on a console. Amazing music.
    3. Sewer Shark - better video quality than Sega CD
    4. The Horde - tower defense, the early years
    5. Fifa Soccer - different camera angles were mind blowing back in 1994
    6. Shockwave - doesn't hold up very well, but was pretty amazing in 1994
    7. Return Fire - kinda like combat redone for mid 90's
    8. Night Trap - again, better video quality than Sega CD
    9. Need for Speed - might as well see where the series started, although I think the handling was kinda "boat-like" if you ask me.
    10. Bladeforce - underrated game where you're flying around in a jetpack.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Basic question, is this a 32 bit system?? I'm not against buying any console, myself, but Road Rash is not a seller, for me. I did play a ton of Road Rash when I was little on Sega Genesis, so I'm quite familiar, and a fan of the series though. But to put it in perspective, I bought my Saturn for Nights into Dreams, and in the 90s I got a Playstation for Metal Gear Solid and Tony Hawk.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    Basic question, is this a 32 bit system?? I'm not against buying any console, myself, but Road Rash is not a seller, for me. I did play a ton of Road Rash when I was little on Sega Genesis, so I'm quite familiar, and a fan of the series though. But to put it in perspective, I bought my Saturn for Nights into Dreams, and in the 90s I got a Playstation for Metal Gear Solid and Tony Hawk.
    Some folks, including this reviewer, think the 3DO port is the best Road Rash game of all time. It definitely looks far more sophisticated/polished than the Genesis games.

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The 3DO has really good ports of Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo and Samurai Shodown. Also Total Eclipse is a good game.
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The 3DO doesn't really have one single game that really justifies it's purchase. It doesn't have that one killer app.

However, it does have about 20 to 30 really good games that are worth messing around with. What's kinda sad, is that the 3DO is like the red-haired stepchild of 90's gaming. There is more love out there for the 32X and the Jaguar. I have a soft spot in my heart for the Jaguar, but if I'm honest with myself, the Jaguar really shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence with the 3DO. I think the overall breadth of the 3DO lineup kills the Jaguar.

And the 32X... Don't even get me started on the 32X...

I think the real reason the 3DO doesn't get much of any respect, is because such a small number of people owned the 3DO in 1993 and 1994 and early 1995. They didn't get to appreciate it for what it was, before the Playstation and Saturn arrived. The arrival of the Playstation, was basically a death knell for the 3DO. Still, anybody that played Crash N Burn in 1993, or played Total Eclipse in early 1994, or played Monster Manor in early 1994 or Madden 3DO, or Road Rash... If you played it in 1993 or 1994 you were pretty amazed by what you were experiencing, but so few people played it during those years. It was just too damned expensive. By the time it became afordable, the PS1 and Saturn had arrived and the 3DO was a mere afterthought. Most people remember it as being a system that couldn't hold the Playstation's jock strap, but what they failed to realize is that the 3DO was the bee's knees all throughout 1994. I had some absolutely awesome experiences with the 3DO in 1994 and early 1995.

Sure, once the Saturn arrived with the sneak attack, I was off in La-La Land, and then the Playstation soon followed, and that was pretty much all she wrote for the 3DO, but man... 93, 94 and early 95 was a special time to be a 3DO owner.