Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Mega Drive Project

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nice mod page..

incase you thought my RCA jacks were for audio and video, they weren't..

both RCA jacks are audio, left and right.. grabbed from the OP amp itself. I plan on making a second op amp so the volume slider doesn't affect rear audio...

what the pic doesn't show is my component video mod...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    both RCA jacks are audio, left and right.. grabbed from the OP amp itself. I plan on making a second op amp so the volume slider doesn't affect rear audio.
    Every time I've offered to do that or get to work on it I always am told that the person paying for the mod wants to be able to control the audio volume with the volume slider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

im tring to trace back the audio to before the switch but im getting confused when the switch is involved. Does anyone know where the audio starts or is before the switch?
    Last edited by 77punk; 01-15-2008 at 10:10 AM.
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 77punk View Post
    im tring to trace back the audio to before the switch but im getting confused when the switch is involved. Does anyone know where the audio starts or is before the switch?
    I'm confused, what are you doing with audio and switches?

The switches in my picture have nothing to do with audio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

i know. im saying the stock headphone slider switch, im trying to grab the audio before that point, so the slider switch doesnt control the volume. Any clues? Isnt that what you were talking about before?
    800,2600,5200,7800,C64,Intellivision,NES1+2,NEX,SM S 1+2,GENNY1-3,CDi,SEGA CD1+2,SNES1+2,TG16,VB,N64(Reg,blue,green),Saturn1+ 2,PS,PSone w/LCD,PS2,Xbox,NGPC,GG,GB,GBC,GBA,GBA SP,Game.com,WonderSwan,Lynx I+II,3D0fz1+10,PICO,Nomad,GP32,DC(reg+sport),GC (2of3),SuperFamicom,MVS, Neo Geo CD,Super Compact+Futbal edition,PSP,360,Wii,DS

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, the input on the OP amp, but I have to design another OP amp, as the input line is far too quiet, and still requires amplification.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Ah, understandable. Where is the OP amp located? Any schematics on it at all?

Has anyone tried the internal power supply that the one guy had in his Genny 2 video? Its pretty interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by evildragon View Post
    Yes, the input on the OP amp, but I have to design another OP amp, as the input line is far too quiet, and still requires amplification.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The op amp is the chip that says SONY on it and is at the front near the volume slider..

You can find the datasheet for this chip easily on Google in PDF format.

I'm not going to bother with the internal power supply mod, i have something else on mind

The Gennys expansion connector for the Sega CD has two pins for voltage input.. These two pins are tied directly to the input line of the Gennys voltage regular, so it's essentially like putting power on the DC input jack.

So, I'm gonna split the Sega CD's DC jack to also go to these pins (well, one of them anyway, both go to the same place), and just use a DC power brick on the Sega CD that has twice the amps..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

very nice. I hope all goes well with that seeing that sega cd players are somewhat expensive compared to the genesis unit itself.

Thanks for the sound chip info.

I got a hot glue gun today to make sure all the wires stay very firm in place. I want to add a hinge to the back of my genny so i can just flip it open.

I have a spare (caseless) master system and i wish there was some way i could smash both of them together..here is to dreaming.. he he thats what the base converter was for anyways.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Here is finally a picture of my system. It has an "O" on the side of the switch that tell me it would be set to overclocking, the other switch is for US JP and the audio jacks are for mono (havent gotten around to the splicing from the headphone jack yet) and video.

Dont mind the kitten in the picture. she loves sega as well.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice Mods everybody!..These are some of my Sega Family upgrades(s-video,RCA Jacks and languages switches for all of them)
    http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM4094.JPG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

very nice. sega!

is the xeye thats hiding have the same hookups?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

oOoOoOoO you have my dream set up. SEGA!

Ill be there soon enough. I want to try to make a programable genny cart one day. Anyone do this on here?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

77punk, just in case you haven't done it yet, you realize the cartridge slot has to be widened to accommodate Japanese Mega Drive cartridges correct? I'm guessing that you probably know this from research but if not then the opening in the top shell has to be made bigger since the JPN Mega Drive cartridge footprint is bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Yeah i have done that as well. I have just a couple of JP games but they rock. Even though my US version of Sonic 2 says sonic and miles under options, it still says Streets of Rage from my US cart. Is that right? Would i need the Bare Knuckle JP cart to get it to say that.

I like the other name better. BARE KNUCKLE!

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    77punk, just in case you haven't done it yet, you realize the cartridge slot has to be widened to accommodate Japanese Mega Drive cartridges correct? I'm guessing that you probably know this from research but if not then the opening in the top shell has to be made bigger since the JPN Mega Drive cartridge footprint is bigger.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Yeah i have done that as well. I have just a couple of JP games but they rock. Even though my US version of Sonic 2 says sonic and miles under options, it still says Streets of Rage from my US cart. Is that right? Would i need the Bare Knuckle JP cart to get it to say that.

I like the other name better. BARE KNUCKLE!
    A USA Streets of Rage 2 will not load in JPN region, you'll get an error.
    A USA Streets of Rage should load as Bare Knuckle in JPN region with Japanese text. It's entirely possible that there were different revisions of cartridges. Here's how my SOR displays in USA and JPN modes...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

Crazy, I must not have the trace cut far enough or something cause my Streets of Rage 2 works without a hitch and my Street of Rage works and is in english but the first time it shows the name its all messed up, like half way between saying Bare Knuckle and Streets of Rage.

When i reset the system it loads the name perfectly after.

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    A USA Streets of Rage 2 will not load in JPN region, you'll get an error.
    A USA Streets of Rage should load as Bare Knuckle in JPN region with Japanese text. It's entirely possible that there were different revisions of cartridges. Here's how my SOR displays in USA and JPN modes...

http://www.classicplastic.net/digita...Rcompare01.jpg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Crazy, I must not have the trace cut far enough or something cause my Streets of Rage 2 works without a hitch and my Street of Rage works and is in english but the first time it shows the name its all messed up, like half way between saying Bare Knuckle and Streets of Rage.

When i reset the system it loads the name perfectly after.
    Hmmm, I'd check your cutting around the bottom of the VIA that runs to pin 107 of the 315-XXXX chip. (I assume that's what you did to isolate it, cut around where it meets up with the +5v plane on the underside of the board) You may also want to check your connections to make sure you don't have a poor solder point that runs to your region switch. You might also want to make sure that your +5v and GND connections are solid. An easy way to find good connection points is to trace them back from the Sega CD interface. A26 / B26 meet up with +5v (USA). A01, B01, A12, B12, A30 and B30 of the expansion port are GND but GNDs are easy to find (JPN). There should be a nice big solder point for each, usually on a capacitor leg.

EDIT: the above instructions are for a Model 2 Genesis. Anyway, yeah, check where you cut the JP2 trace and make sure your solder points are't flowing into one another.

Here are a couple pictures of some Model 1 Genesis mods I've done, you know how small everything inside is...

GEN-1R-0005...

GEN-1R-0006... (audio and video jacks had not yet been put in at the time of top picture, in fact only the video lead is in place at the time)
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 01-18-2008 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    GrantCanyon

thanks for the awesome pictures. I wish i had a nice camera. looks like my JP1 and JP2 trace is merging together for some reason, thats probably the reason. Thanks again for the advice. Im still looking for cool things to do so post if you know any other cool gen mods.