Thread: classic gamer mags

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Default classic gamer mags

this may seem strange to some, but i not only collect games, but older magazines too. i have been searching all over the net the last couple weeks for a couple of late 1994 issues of EGM and i cant find them anywhere. of course i've searched ebay but to no avail.

do you guys know of any website that sells vintage gamer mags? i've searched mostly ebay, amazon, j2games.com and some other random sites. but anyway, i'll appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Not strange at all. Many of us here love the old game mags. Late '94 EGM issues? Keep hawking eBay, and you may also want to try Craigslist, as ya never know.

IMO, December '94 EGM ish was their last "glorious" issue. Afterwards, it never seemed the same. I wrote a feature on EGM/GameFan's infamous "Holiday Issues" about 2 weeks ago.

Good luck. They're not rare, so just be patient and keep looking. Sooner or later you'll get them.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

thanks man, those are exactly the issues i'm looking for. most of the older issues i have are the same ones i subscribed to back in early to mid 90's. and i agree, after the mid 90's it was never really the same. as soon as the internet really came about, gamer mags seemed to suffer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

sorry to double post, but i just recieved 3 EGM issues today (Nov. 1993 and Dec. 1993). i also happened to recieve my current subscribed issue of EGM today (Feb. 2008). And yes, it is a phenominal difference. The nov and dec 93 issues were well over 300 pgs. one of which was almost 400 pgs. The current EGM feels like a pamplet. its truly rewarding holding those older EGMs in my hands and remembering the glory days of retro gaming.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Yeah I received the Feb. 2008 issue yesterday as well. It's 100 pages, the last two issues were 104 pages and 100. It's a shame. Ah well, we'll always have our 1990s EGMs to cherish.

On a side note, I did enjoy the letter of the month for issue #225. (I got the DK cover BTW). The story of the guy who got robbed, every game stolen, and the message board regulars pitched in and rebought some of his games, including the XBOX 360 which he never had -- wow, what a great story. Props to those people for being so generous.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Yeah I received the Feb. 2008 issue yesterday as well. It's 100 pages, the last two issues were 104 pages and 100. It's a shame. Ah well, we'll always have our 1990s EGMs to cherish.

On a side note, I did enjoy the letter of the month for issue #225. (I got the DK cover BTW). The story of the guy who got robbed, every game stolen, and the message board regulars pitched in and rebought some of his games, including the XBOX 360 which he never had -- wow, what a great story. Props to those people for being so generous.
    I have to subscribe to seven magazines to get the same content. Luckily if you search you can get some really good subscription rates....

I doubt there is anywhere to but vintage magazines on the web other than where you mentioned. The demand for them is low and they are becoming scarce since they are so often trashed or recycled....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

i also enjoyed that particular article. i think it also proves that not all collectors are so selfish and anal about their collections that they cant give up some of it for the benefit of others. i say this because a friend of mine thinks its dorky/weird that i collect so many games/systems/magazines. he's like what are you gonna do if your family really needs money because i know you want give up anything. the thing is my religion/family/social life come first. gaming and collecting is just a hobby. i dont think any of us actually revolve our lives around gaming/collecting. anyway, sorry to get completely off topic.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cannon Spook
    PSN
    Cannon_Spook

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Not strange at all. Many of us here love the old game mags. Late '94 EGM issues? Keep hawking eBay, and you may also want to try Craigslist, as ya never know.

IMO, December '94 EGM ish was their last "glorious" issue. Afterwards, it never seemed the same. I wrote a feature on EGM/GameFan's infamous "Holiday Issues" about 2 weeks ago.

Good luck. They're not rare, so just be patient and keep looking. Sooner or later you'll get them.
    Haha, that's insane. I have a handful of old EGMs, and it just so happens that the one with Wolverine on the cover happens to be apart of my small collection.

Professional Geek Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Sigh. I seriously, seriously regret throwing out all my old (pre '97) EGM issues. Yup, I even had a subscription. I probably had about 2 or 3 years worth of issues. Sigh.

At least I kept all my Gamefan issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my game mags as much as I do the games.........Gamefan was my favorite magazine and old EGM........Damaramu I know how you feel I threw
    away over two hundred game mags in the ninties, I didn't have room for them all...Just kept my favs...........
    GAME NOT OVER

Strawberry (Level 2) emceelokey's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have almost every EGM starting from the Road Rash holographic cover issue. I missed a few issues in the late 90's (99' - 00') but for the most part I have all of those. I throw out a bunch of magazines nowadays and have sold a lot of my non EGM collections like the first year of PSM, some random VideoGames issues and OPM, OXM, Gamepros and such. I don't even care about Game Informer. I only have it because I have to because of the discount card but it's always a fun read, but I've always kept my EGMs, including the short lived EGM2's. That was the first gaming magazine I ever picked up and I still hold them as the standard of video gaming magazines.

I agree with how the current issues are in no way close to comparasion to the older issues and for me it's mainly because of pictures. They used to cram as many pictures, screen caps, maps, concept art, and everything back then. They would even have their in house artist do covers sometimes. Nowadays the covers are just crappy pictures. I just loved seeing art on the cover rather than what's basically "clip art" from promotional photos.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by emceelokey View Post
    I have almost every EGM starting from the Road Rash holographic cover issue. I missed a few issues in the late 90's (99' - 00') but for the most part I have all of those. I throw out a bunch of magazines nowadays and have sold a lot of my non EGM collections like the first year of PSM, some random VideoGames issues and OPM, OXM, Gamepros and such. I don't even care about Game Informer. I only have it because I have to because of the discount card but it's always a fun read, but I've always kept my EGMs, including the short lived EGM2's. That was the first gaming magazine I ever picked up and I still hold them as the standard of video gaming magazines.
    Those were definitely the good years...I remember that hologram cover...that brings back some memories and really makes me feel old. I miss the old review crew : Martin Alessi, Ed Semrad, Sushi-X, and Steve Harris....I wish I could point you in the right direction Ncman because that really sounds like a worthwhile endeavour.