Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you collect classic gaming mags, and why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Default Do you collect classic gaming mags, and why?

i know that i made a similar thread before where i was looking for a couple of older issues of EGM. But i started thinking about other mag collectors like myself.

Just curious, if you collect older gamer mags, why? Which ones and why? Where do you get your retro mags and why? i really like j2games.com because every issue i get from them seems to be in near mint condition.

Personally, i like to collect them because i kept all of the ones from my childhood and early teenage years, and i thought i would try to complete some of those. Also, i just like remembering the past. I've even caught my wife looking at some of them and yelling the occasional "ooohh i remember that game".

Of course, i'm an avid but responsible gamer and collector. I just feel like collecting gamer mags from the past is part of video game collecting as a whole. Its just kind of cool reading mags that represent the same era of gaming included in my video game collection.

anyway, you guys have a wonderful night and please, if you ever play xbox live, send me a friend request. gamertag is ncman071
    Last edited by ncman071; 01-13-2008 at 12:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ncman071 View Post
    i know that i made a similar thread before
    You made the pretty much exact same thread, 24 hours ago.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 01-13-2008 at 04:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    You make the pretty much exact same thread, 24 hours ago.
    Deja view...
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    You made the pretty much exact same thread, 24 hours ago.

umm, no i didn't. the title may have seemed the same (my fault), but its content is definitly not. before, i was simply just asking if anyone knew where i could find a couple of older EGM issues.

This thread is just asking if there are others out there who collect retro magazines and why. these may be similar, but not the same.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

umm, no i didn't. the title may have seemed the same (my fault), but its content is definitly not. before, i was simply just asking if anyone knew where i could find a couple of older EGM issues.

This thread is just asking if there are others out there who collect retro magazines and why. these may be similar, but not the same.
    Huh? Either way you could have combined the questions into one thread...starting two is hardly necessary. And if you're looking for old issues of EGM, just post a wanted ad in the B&S forum...have a moderator move your other thread.
    Last edited by PingvinBlueJeans; 01-13-2008 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

thats cool. now that i think about it you guys are right. i'm kind of new to posting. i dont post an aweful lot. anyway, thanks for the help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

I been collecting the Gamefan mags - mostly because I that was the one mag I always grabbed growing up - I didnt start getting EGM mags untill around 97' but prior to that it was Gamefan. I like flipping through for nostalgic reasons, the height of gaming enjoyment ended for me when DC's era ended.
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Unhappy

Good grief, people, lighten up on the newbie. Some of you post all the time about the slightest (possible) infraction.

I used to have hundreds and hundreds of old gaming magazines in my parent's attic. I used to love going home, pulling out a random stack, and reading them every night before I went to bed.

Then my parents moved and my free storage unit was no more. The damn things weigh so much and take up so much room! I ended up selling them to another DP member with presumably more storage.

I miss them.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just curious, if you collect older gamer mags, why? Which ones and why?
    Yes. I love all the old videogame mags. Reading them gives you a perspective on classic games that you don't get from current sources with their tainted "retro-vision" (i.e. knowing what came after, etc.). The older mags talk about games when they were current with the hype that was around them then. You also see the ads of course, and opinions in them are from that days perspective.. if that makes any sense.

As is I collect most anything including Joystik, Videogames, Electronic Games, EGM (complete collection up until about 1999), etc. etc. etc.

Where do you get your retro mags and why?
    I got them from the store.. when they were available. And then I never got rid of them. I rarely buy things after the fact, and so what if I don't have 70% of the issues of Electronic Games.. I'm fine with that On that note I do have a complete collection of Joystik mags.. all are what I bought back in the day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

There's nothing like holding a really well done retro game mag in your hand, especially if said mag is mint

Back then there was a 'purity' to the market that changed when 32-Bit and much later the PS2/XBOX generation. To me, those olden days were innocent, damn fun and the writing/coverage in mags like GameFan and EGM were just so damn good.

I'm also proud to say I have a complete set of Super Play and Sega Saturn Magazine (well, almost). SSM is the best mag I've ever read, and a MUST for any hardcore Saturn fanatic. I love these retro mags so much you can find a section on my website entirely devoted to highlighting these mags.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    I'm also proud to say I have a complete set of Super Play and Sega Saturn Magazine (well, almost). SSM is the best mag I've ever read, and a MUST for any hardcore Saturn fanatic. I love these retro mags so much you can find a section on my website entirely devoted to highlighting these mags.

::Jealous:: I haven't had any luck at all at getting ANY SSM issues - I almost completed my Official Dreamcast Magazine collection, I think I just need the 3rd issue. Wasn't there an official Genesis mag in the UK?
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect the early 90's EGM. I've given up on trying to get a complete collection (as the early mags are pricey) so I've decided to stop after filling up the easily attainable holes in my collection.

Sadly, finding the one issue I need (see my sig) is proving to be harder than anticipated. I'm almost half tempted to offer up one of my few early 1990 issues just to get that particular mag.

As for why? I like reading about what was, what might have been, and what rumors did become true.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have the final 10 issues of Sega Magazine & all 37 issues of Sega Saturn Magazine. Retro Gamer just did an article, interviewing the staff of SSM. Pretty interesting....

By the way, I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, but there is a website which is archiving all the old videogame magazines: retromags.com. You can download the magazines as PDFs.
    Sega Saturn USB DataLink - www.GamingEnterprisesInc.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't collect much as far as retro gaming mags go, because I honestly don't have the space for them right now.

I do collect Nintendo Power though(pre 2000), and I am always into the retro EGM's if I can get them.

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I pretty keep all of my old mags, I started buying around 1996-1997. I guess I just love video games and there is nothing like reading a retro mag. I do however buy old Nintendo Power and EGM back issues if I see them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Back in the mid 80s, when I discovered the NES and girls (but not in that order), I threw out all my old issues of Electronic Games, Joystik, and the like. I regret it big time.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I collect old video game magazines, or rather I still have every magazine from when I was old enough to read in the early 80s up until the present date. I love pulling out random issues from the early days and reading the old reviews. It really takes me back in a way that playing the games themselves never does. A well written review always held out the promise that a revolution in gaming and game play was just around the corner with every new platform and every new gaming innovation. Sadly, 25 years later, I feel like not that much has changed. Graphics have gotten better, but enemy AI and human interfaces with the games have not really reached the level I thought they would have. Reading old magazines allows we to imagine what could have been and what still could be.

Strawberry (Level 2) FrakAttack's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't so much collect them as never got around to throwing them away.
    "Ambitious, but rubbish."

Starman (Level 23) Phosphor Dot Fossils's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitgamer View Post
    Back in the mid 80s, when I discovered the NES and girls (but not in that order), I threw out all my old issues of Electronic Games, Joystik, and the like. I regret it big time.
    /me does that Invasion of the Body Snatchers shriek thing

Not like I'm any less guilty. I was 10, 11 years old during much of EG's original run, and after a while, I'd cut out pictures of arcade machines, screen shots, etc. and decorate my school notebooks with 'em. I've been scrambling to replenish my EG collection since then with minty fresh issues - I've gotten quite a few of 'em, but not cheap. I also have several issues of Odyssey Adventure magazine, the in-house promotional organ/"users' newsletter" for the Odyssey2. (If anyone wants to read every issue, you can find 'em here - though be aware that the archive is going to be moving soon, but when it does, I'll have those in PDF form for your reading pleasure.)

I've got PDF files of the entire run of Joystik, but y'know, there's no substitute for the original paper copies.

As for why, or why EG specifically, it's like going back to my roots. At around the same time I was obsessively reading EG, I was also obsessively reading Starlog Magazine, and was introduced to the works of Douglas Adams and Harlan Ellison at about the same time. They're all critical formative influences on my own writing, not that I would ever claim to have written anything on the same level with any of them. To me, it's like having a research library around - I don't think anyone who's a serious historian of the early days of the medium of video games can be taken seriously if they don't have at least a few of these magazines to fall back on as reference material. And in a few cases, the old mocked-up product preview shots from the various companies are comedy gold.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

By intent? No. By being a packrat? Yes. I tend to not throw stuff away all that often. It's not uncomon for me to find reciepts from a decade or more. Game mag collections just pile up. The sad part is when it's for a mag you dont even like. Which for me is almost all gaming mags. EGM, Gamepro, Game Informer, I hate them all. Still, for some reason I just keep them.