Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Exclamation Atari 2600 Activision Patch Contest - Winners announced

For the past month I have been playing my Atari 2600 quite a bit. That coupled with the lack of pre-NES discussion around here (two topics on the first two pages of classic gaming) has driven me to hold a contest.

The

Patch Contest

How will it work? Everyone will compete to meet the requirements for as many Atari 2600 Activision Patches as possible. The first person to get them all wins, or the person to have the most patches by March 31st will be the winner. Those next closest to winning will get the 2nd and 3rd place prizes. There will also be a random drawing for all of those that competed who didn't win 1st, 2nd or 3rd.

The Contest will not be over until March 31st. Late entrants are encouraged as they still have a good chance of winning the random prize! Currently only 1st place has been claimed.

The Rules
    1. Everyone is eligible as long as you are a current DP forum member. You can even sign up just to play in the contest.
    2. No cheating. Everyone has to keep it fair to keep it fun. If you aren't sure what is or isn't allowed, just ask.
    3. Proof will be required for every score. A picture will do just fine; that's how Activision did it. Once you get your picture, just post a link to it here and I will adjust the current standings
    4. Past scores do not count. To be eligible for the contest, you must achieve the score after this topic was made. Old scores are cool, especially if you have that old picture you sent in to Activision, and the letter that came in the mail, but I want everyone to start at the same level. And by all means, post those old photos if you have them! (even though they won't count)
    5. Although play on a real 2600 is highly encouraged, emulators will be allowed, however to be eligible to win one of the main prizes (1st-3rd), at least one of your scores MUST be achieved on a real 2600 or equivalent (Sears, Coleco 2600 converter, 7800, etc.). Naturally with the use of emulators, you may not do anything you wouldn't be able to do on a real 2600: turbo fire, save states, slow motion, etc. Although you may use the emulator to save a screenshot of your score. Also, please stick to emulators that stay true to the 2600 as well. By that I mean, it runs nearly identical to the original and won't give you any advantage/disadvantage due to poor emulation.
    6. Activision Anthology for the PS2 will be allowed, as longs as the same standards in the above emulator rule are followed; only do things you would be allowed to do on a real 2600 and controller. I will not allow the GBA version, and I am not sure about the PC versions. If anyone has experience with the PC version, let me know. And if the Anthology says you got a patch, make sure you check here to make sure you meet the original requirements; some were dumbed down for the compilation.
    7. Don't abuse bugs and glitches.
    8. Whatever I decide, goes. If an unforeseen issue arises, I have the final say. I also am free to update the rules as I see fit, or disqualify anyone if I feel there is a major problem.
    9. I will play along, but I won't be winning any of my own prizes.
    10. Feedback and cooperation amongst participants is encouraged. While a contest, I still want this to be a fun and enjoyable experience for everyone. Feel free to post your tips for a game or ask for help on that certain game you have trouble with. If you have any suggestions for rules, or want to contribute an additional small prize or something, please let me know!
    11. Updates:
    12. On top of my record keeping, please save all of your photos/screen shots and keep track of which patches you have so you can double check the records I have for you. Please double check my list as you progress and let me know if there is a mistake. As the game picks up and more people join, there is more for me to keep track of and the chances of me making a mistake on my spreadsheet rises.
    13. For games with multiple patches, if you get a higher level patch, you will also get all of those below it. These games include: Decathlon, Dolphin, Laser Blast, Robot Tank, Space Shuttle and Starmaster.
    14. If/when you play a game on an actual 2600 or "hardware equivalent" as outlined above, please let me know and take a snapshot of it. If you will not be playing any games on an original system, please let me know.
    15. For Barnstorming and Grand Prix, there are multiple ways to get the patch. If you meet one single requirement for the game, then you will get a single patch, as was done when Activision was sending out patches. However, if you manage to complete all of the times for one of these games, I will also give you a second patch (point) that will count towards your score.
    The Prizes

I don't know the specifics of the prizes yet, but they will be good ones. The first place prize I will make special and worth the effort. As I figure out the specifics, I will update this.

Below is just a preview of what the prizes will be.

1st Place - Keystone Kapers signed by Garry Kitchen (courtesy of digitalpress), Mystery 2600 Game 1, Mystery 2600 Game 2, Intellivision Lives for PS2, Pong-Asteroids-Yars' Revenge for GBA, Namco Museum for GBA
    2nd Place - Mystery 2600 Game 1, Intellivision Lives for PS2, Marble Madness-Klax for GBA
    3rd Place - Mystery 2600 Game 1, Midway's Greatest Hits Volume 1 for N64
    Random prize - Mystery 2600 Game 1

(The random prize is a drawing amongst all entrants who got at least one game patch who didn't come 1st, 2nd or 3rd.)
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 01-26-2008 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Here is the DP page with the listing of all 2600 Activision patches, with scans of the patches and some of the letters that came along with the patches:
    http://www.digitpress.com/archives/cc_patches_2600.htm

Here is a link to the current contest standings with a neat list of what the requirements for each patch are: http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...hySmPkzToeYbSw

That's it!

Now to get started, check the above links to see which Activision games have patches, practice the games, get the scores and post pictures here!
    Last edited by Vectorman0; 01-15-2008 at 01:33 PM.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

This is great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Very nice idea indeed, makes up for there being no more annual MAME competitions. July 1st though? Just concerned that given all that time the interest about the competition may fade out completely. Don't want that to happen, but I've seen it happen with the MAME competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Very nice idea indeed, makes up for there being no more annual MAME competitions. July 1st though? Just concerned that given all that time the interest about the competition may fade out completely. Don't want that to happen, but I've seen it happen with the MAME competition.
    That's a good point, you are right and it should be shorter. I still want there be enough time though for people to get acquainted with games they haven't put time into previously. Any suggestions for a different date? There are 45 patches, across 33 unique games. How about through March 31st?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

That sounds good to me, three months should be plenty of time for everyone to make a solid attempt at it. Gives enough time for people that may start out later on and is short enough for it not to go stale.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

i am not sure i have any of these but i'll check.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    i am not sure i have any of these but i'll check.
    That's fine...

Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    Although play on a real 2600 is highly encouraged, emulators will be allowed, however to be eligible to win one of the main prizes (1st-3rd), at least one of your scores MUST be achieved on a real 2600 or equivalent (Sears, Coleco 2600 converter, 7800, etc.). Naturally with the use of emulators, you may not do anything you wouldn't be able to do on a real 2600: turbo fire, save states, slow motion, etc. Although you may use the emulator to save a screenshot of your score. Also, please stick to emulators that stay true to the 2600 as well. By that I mean, it runs nearly identical to the original and won't give you any advantage/disadvantage due to poor emulation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

This is awesome. Love to see stuff like this on the boards. Way to go, Vec!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    legeek2112

le geek retrogaming
    RETRO REVIEWS / WANTED / BACKLOGGERY / MY DP FEEDBACK

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Mmm, Pie.

This looks like fun. Good thing I have a good number of Activision games for my Jr.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

Ah, here's a good reason for me to return from my self-imposed hiatus.

Funny timing. Having finally got the cart, I've been playing a lot of Activision Anthology on GBA lately, working at unlocking the patches. Shouldn't be difficult to recreate these accomplishments on the real deal.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow. That is a very, very excellent idea!

Thanks for coming up with it, and making it happen.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Now that everyone is excited, lets get started!

I'll start off with Frostbite!

Frostbite Picture

If anyone needs me to host or crop pictures or anything, just let me know.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Well, kind of a lame start, but a start, nonetheless! I think I should get bonus points for having a 15 month old in the room (and no other adults). That or I should get reported.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Well, kind of a lame start, but a start, nonetheless! I think I should get bonus points for having a 15 month old in the room (and no other adults). That or I should get reported.
    That's hardly a lame start, you're currently in first place. No bonus points though.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Please dont make me play Laser Blast for two hours again.

/me cries

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this 1?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by dlopez9069 View Post
    Is this 1?
    Yes it is.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Pressure Cooker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweet.

Gives me a reason to visit DP. I'm usually at AtariAge 24/7.

Thanks for the heads up, Pingvin....Activision games are my forte'.
    "The President has been kidnapped by ninjas. Are YOU bad enough to save him?"