Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: "Rare" Wii games

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rare in the future? hmm

I would say : manhunt 2! Its impossible/hard to get in some european country's because its banned .
    It was banned in England and some other European country's.
    No problem here in Holland its in the shops from the beginning(every thing goes here)

Rumor has it a Dutch developer(gorilla) is making a real hardcore 18+ wii game.
    Its a pimp game featuring :beating up hockers with the wii remote and jurking off wii remote action.
    Modern panesian???

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Manhunt 2 is definitely not rare in the U.S. Maybe I need to set up an operation importing copies of NTSC copies of Manhunt 2 into Europe.

I'm wondering if Ultimate Shooting Collection will be rare.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Insert Coin (Level 0) calistarwind's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would have to say Opoona is pretty hard to find in most circles now.

Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Are you sure it's by Cabela? I've seen Cabela's Big Game Hunter on ebay and elsewhere, and it's much, much more common than UDH.
    The publisher of Ultimate Duck Hunting is Detn8 Games.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calistarwind View Post
    I would have to say Opoona is pretty hard to find in most circles now.
    It's $20 brand new on Gamestop.com and in-store. It's also still available at most Best Buy locations. Not rare unfortunately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I havent seen Mini Copter Adventure Flight in more than a couple places, used for $25.
    "The big things that...nerds like to argue about might not actually matter that much."

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What about Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"? I don't think I've seen it in stores, only on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Fox-Dry-Ce.../dp/B0018YDKAO

It's a port of a kids adventure game that originally came out in '97. I don't see this being a big seller(though the game was good when I tried it out on the PC back in '97).

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    What about Spy Fox in "Dry Cereal"? I don't think I've seen it in stores, only on Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/Spy-Fox-Dry-Ce.../dp/B0018YDKAO

It's a port of a kids adventure game that originally came out in '97. I don't see this being a big seller(though the game was good when I tried it out on the PC back in '97).
    It's available down here at Best Buy in most stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here are my guesses:

Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
    Pajama Sam in Don't be Afraid of the Dark (or something like that)
    Freddie Fish

They were all released at $29.99, by the same company. I have Spy Fox myself and all in all it's just a direct port with a poorly designed title screen.

I don't think many of you have heard of this one: Defendin De Penguin

I was looking on Amazon yesterday and saw this. It's supposedly a strategy game to reel in young ones where you throw snowballs at animals trying to get into the penguin colony.

Metal Slug Anthology, Opoona, King all of Clubs and Ten Pin Alley 2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What the shit? They're releasing Humongous games on the Wii? So fucking boughten. They've churned out some of the best kids' games (especially adventure games) in the last decade+. Gotta show some $$ love.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 11killer11 View Post
    Here are my guesses:

Spy Fox in Dry Cereal
    Pajama Sam in Don't be Afraid of the Dark (or something like that)
    Freddie Fish

They were all released at $29.99, by the same company. I have Spy Fox myself and all in all it's just a direct port with a poorly designed title screen.

I don't think many of you have heard of this one: Defendin De Penguin

I was looking on Amazon yesterday and saw this. It's supposedly a strategy game to reel in young ones where you throw snowballs at animals trying to get into the penguin colony.

Metal Slug Anthology, Opoona, King all of Clubs and Ten Pin Alley 2
    Everything on this list is available at pretty much every Best Buy location in the United States. I believe Walmart b&m locations also have most of them in stock still. Metal Slug Anthology is becoming a little harder to find, but still pretty available. I don't think games released and available at the two largest b&m electronics resellers in the United States for the most popular console in this generation by a wide margin are going to become rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    I'm wondering if Ultimate Shooting Collection will be rare.
    I think it may not be due to the fact that Castle of Shikigami Wii is extremely common.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post
    I think it may not be due to the fact that Castle of Shikigami Wii is extremely common.
    I would concede that this game has very limited brick and mortar distribution with none of the major chains carrying it. Having said that, like Castle of Shikigami, once the price drops to $20 at retail, I suspect you will see stores like Best Buy carrying it possibly as part of their holiday 2009 selection.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

What's the smallest print run that any publisher would bother with? Even these super budget titles like Octomania (which launched at a whopping $10) has to have a decent number of copies out there. And most of these titles that would have print runs on the lower end are either uninteresting or shit so you know nobody is going to be after them hence there probably won't be many "money" games in this category.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    What's the smallest print run that any publisher would bother with? Even these super budget titles like Octomania (which launched at a whopping $10) has to have a decent number of copies out there. And most of these titles that would have print runs on the lower end are either uninteresting or shit so you know nobody is going to be after them hence there probably won't be many "money" games in this category.
    I agree strongly. Although Octomania actually launched at $20 and dropped to half of that a month or two later. I suspect that there will be very few if any "rare" games in this generation simply because retailers in this economy are looking to avoid risks, so distributors are carrying less risky product which means in turn that publishers are canning projects long before they even get too far into development. According to one distributor I spoke to recently, even the crap Wii titles have minimum print runs of 25,000 or more units not because Nintendo is demanding it, but because selling crap titles requires getting them into lots of retailers in the hopes that they will sell at least half the print run at full price and then they just keep crediting retailers until the price drops to a level where the other half sells. I also like your use of the word "money" to describe what people are hoping for in this thread since as the last few generations have shown, rarity seems to have little to do with resale value as it seems like really good games that might not have had the full distribution that other titles in the same generation had or really common, but great games are what maintain value. There are of course exceptions, but the fact that a black label copy of FFVII sells for the same or more than a copy of the original release of Dragonball Z for the Playstation is good evidence that just being numerically "rare" is no indication that something is worth picking up.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

To be fair, the only reason Dragonball GT: Final Bout plummeted in price is because Atari rereleased the game when the PSX was on it's death bed. People finally had the opportunity to play the game and when they realized how abysmal it was lost interest immediately.

But your point is valid. Just look at the Gamecube. The games that seem to retain their value are the "big" first party titles and a few other popular ones. Clearly nobody is having trouble finding Super Smash Bros. Melee but it still fetches a decent price.

I firmly believe the days when the late gen RPG or quirky Japanese game are the "rare + money" games are over. Maybe a handful will sneak in since the PS2 has been steadily seeing oddball releases that may or may not be both decent and in short supply but, for the most part, we aren't going to see another Panzer Dragoon Saga. Print runs are too big and quality games get too much attention these days. These days it seems that rare games will be made by accident like what happened with NCAA College Basketball 2k3 on the GCN. So while everybody will be looking at the newest Atlus release as a potential rarity they might be looking in the wrong direction.

What I can see happening on the Wii is a situation where a genuinely good game gets lost in the sea of shovelware and is only rediscovered by the masses much later on when copies are harder to come by. Something similar happened to Eternal Darkness on the GCN. At one point it was selling brand new for $12 before people figured out how awesome it was. A situation like this won't make a game rare but it will increase its value. I think Blast Works is a possible contender for that. I would have skipped it if I weren't tipped off by a friend. At first glance it looks no different than the rest of the generic software it sits next to on the shelf.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-16-2009 at 11:18 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Off the top of my head I'd have to say Ninja Breadman is the only Wii game I've seen once and only one copy. May just be regional. Then there are the gamestop exclusive Wii titles. With all the speculators nowadays, maybe store exclusives won't pan out as well as they have in the past.
    Gamestop exclusives for the Wii? which ones are those? nothing I want, I hope... I vowed never to buy another game from their sorry asses again!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbid View Post
    i believe geometry wars galaxies will be a future rarity. people that normally want to play that game are looking for a cheaper price. the same thing happened to ikaruga on gamecube.
    I have to agree on this one... it's only been out for a year now, and I've not seen a new copy of it for sale in any stores yet... so it can't be very common
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Draggon View Post
    (Geometry Wars) I have to agree on this one... it's only been out for a year now, and I've not seen a new copy of it for sale in any stores yet... so it can't be very common
    Amazon has new copies for $20:

Amazon - Geometry Wars: Galaxies (Wii, $20 new)

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Iron Dragon: As far as I've seen they were all crap. No worries. Exclusive shovelware WTF!? Apparently so.

Those "Gamestop exclusive!" Wii displays I saw then have since come down though.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    @ Iron Dragon: As far as I've seen they were all crap. No worries. Exclusive shovelware WTF!? Apparently so.

Those "Gamestop exclusive!" Wii displays I saw then have since come down though.
    As far as I know, those games are no longer Gamestop exclusives. I know I have seen all of them at the local indy game shops I buy from and they are on the distributor sales lists for the wholesalers that stock a lot of the stores here in Southern California.