Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Vectrex haul

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Default My Vectrex haul

Wouldn't be surprised if this is my find of the year, though of course I hope not. My first R8 (I think), and two of them at once! Marked 2.99 each at Goodwill, but it is 'toddler Thursday', so for some reason cart games are half price (I made sure to have a cart out of the box like I was examining it). Unfortunately the ones I've had open so far didn't have manuals. Overlays seem to be hit or miss.

Not sure what I'll do with them. It would be tempting to start a collection, given that this is almost half of them in one go. Anyone want to put a value on it all for me? And maybe individual estimates for some of the more expensive one? Are the DP guide prices close (don't find examples of several of these on eBay).

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Man that is quite the haul!! I don't know much about the prices, which one is the R8?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Man that is quite the haul!! I don't know much about the prices, which one is the R8?
    Pole Position

If it is fully complete, I would say it could pull anywhere from $50-$125 on ebay, probably pulling around a hundred. Vectrex stuff fluctuates quite a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just gotta say, nice find there. You should hang onto them and look for the piece to complete them, although it may take awhile it'd be worth it as you're already on a good foundation. Keep an eye out for a good working system if you don't already have one.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cyberfluxor View Post
    Just gotta say, nice find there. You should hang onto them and look for the piece to complete them, although it may take awhile it'd be worth it as you're already on a good foundation. Keep an eye out for a good working system if you don't already have one.
    Or sell Pole Position and use the money to buy a Vectrex system for the others, another possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Or sell Pole Position and use the money to buy a Vectrex system for the others, another possibility.
    Is it that bad of a game?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

I'm tempted to do exactly that. I looked around for the system, but no luck. I even asked the head honcho that is usually there in the mornings and he said no. I feel kinda silly owning all these games with no way to play them, though.

I couldn't believe it when I saw them on the shelf. I think all I saw was Vectrex and there was a lot of them, and next thing I knew they were in my cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vectorman0 View Post
    Pole Position

If it is fully complete, I would say it could pull anywhere from $50-$125 on ebay, probably pulling around a hundred. Vectrex stuff fluctuates quite a bit.
    Actually, Melody Master is an R8 as well.

Pole Position doesn't have the manual . It has an overlay, but I think some vectrex games had multiple overlays(?) and there is an empty overlay sleeve in the box, too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well certainly hold onto at least one of the R8's if you must sell. I simply say this because it's one of your first R8's and later down the road you may regret getting rid of it, unless you find something more unique and rare.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Is it that bad of a game?
    Not at all, it's actually pretty cool, well as much as a vector version of Pole Position possibly could be. But for $100+ you could get a complete boxed Vectrex system and possibly some of the other titles he's missing.

Nothing wrong with burning off one part of a find to obtain the stuff to make the other parts usable. Then of course later on you have that game you sold off at a premium price to hunt down for less.

Circle of retrogaming.

Pole Position is one of my favorite games, enough so that I bought an arcade upright. The Vectrex version plays pretty good and again, is probably the best you could hope for on the technology. If I remember Melody Master requires the light pen, perhaps that would be a better title for you to sell if you need to raise cash for a system?
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 01-17-2008 at 07:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Vectorman0
    PSN
    Vectorman0

Quote Originally Posted by Cornelius View Post
    Actually, Melody Master is an R8 as well.

Pole Position doesn't have the manual . It has an overlay, but I think some vectrex games had multiple overlays(?) and there is an empty overlay sleeve in the box, too.
    All normal Vectrex games come with a single overlay. The Light Pen games do not come with overlays, and the 3D Games (that you don't have), come with color wheels instead. That said, my Pole Position doesn't have the manual either. I feel your pain.

Melody Master isn't as valuable a title as Pole Position, nor quite as rare, however it is still one of the hardest to fine games, right behind the 3D games, Pole Position and Polar Rescue. I'm not sure what it would sell for, $50-$100 maybe? Melody Master would be good to sell, as you need the light pen, and even with the light pen, it's not something you really ever want to play. I suggest you sell a few of the the things so you can purchase a Vectrex to play the rest with, it is a great system.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Smile

Still, it's always nice to know that you could make some "Insta-coin" on something you didn't pay a lot for, and wasn't collecting to begin with.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

Real nice find! Congrats!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Animaction and Melody Master both require the light pen. Someone here was looking for Animaction. Sell them both, get you a Vectrex and you'll probubly have a little bit of money left over to get games like Web Wars, RIP OFF, and Star Trek. You already got most of the good games. Star Castle and Polar Rescue go for a good bit, and there are a ton of pretty good homebrew games that The Don sells. http://www.vectrexcarts.com/

WTB Animaction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW, awesome find especially for the 2 light pen games and Pole Position. Some of those boxes look really good and you got them for dirt cheap.

Side note: a lot of people kept Vectrex games with there boxes. I don't know why. Just a different breed of gamers/collectors then most other systems.

Get the console and enjoy one of the very few vector based systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

The current plan is to keep them all and find a system. I stay ahead in this hobby enough that I can spring for something at full price now and then, so I don't really need to sell any of them to fund that purchase. Thanks for all the tips/suggestions/etc.!

Just a quick question: would you remove the price stickers? Most of them have original stickers (sears or banks) as well as the goodwill. I'm almost definitely gong to leave the original ones, since none of the boxes are in perfect condition anyway. I'm undecided on the GW stickers, but likely will take them off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would do a test on the least valuable game (or worst box) and see how easily the sticker comes off. If it's going to leave residue or tear the box, I would leave them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I would take the Goodwill stickers off, personally. I'd leave the original price stickers on, though... just for historical context.

Honestly, if I had found that lot in a thrift store (and Goodwill, of all places! That's like finding a functioning water fountain in the middle of the desert!) I possibly would have soiled myself out of shock. I've never found any Vectrex games in the wild, boxed or otherwise. I've found two Vectrex units, though. One doesn't work properly, and neither one came with controllers.

If you're not going to collect CIB for the Veccy as such, you could sell the lightpen games or Pole Position to raise cash for the console, and then get a reproduction of the game(s) you sold for next to nothing. Reproductions are fairly cheap, something like $12 last time I looked.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
    I would take the Goodwill stickers off, personally. I'd leave the original price stickers on, though... just for historical context.
    Off-topic, I hate stickers on my games. I gotta peel everything off and get cleaning solutions to remove marker on carts. When I post the price of a game in the finds threads it's for more reasons than just letting others know what I paid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Stickers seem to tear Vectrex boxed games fairly easy. I'd leave them on and not chance it. I think a lot of people have come to expect them on Vectrex games.