Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LOST The Videogame - Sadly, a below-average affair (NOW WITH "FINAL THOUGHTS!")

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default LOST The Videogame - Sadly, a below-average affair (NOW WITH "FINAL THOUGHTS!")

LOST : Via Domus

which translates literally from Latin to LOST : House on the Road (or, as GnawRadar more accurately pointed out) THE ROAD HOME

"House on the Road" sounds like a Jacob's cabin reference to me, but, could it ACTUALLY mean - LOST : Road House?

Could Patrick Swayze be making a cameo appearance in this game?

If so, I hope he and Locke have a big dance number and Patrick lifts Terry O'Quinn up for the finale like this :

But, I digress ...

In any case, it looks like UBISoft's development is moving along swimmingly and the producers have targeted a Feb. release date.

This date misses the season premiere of the show by a week or so ... but, hey, let's not rush things, we LOST fans only have EIGHT friggin' episodes to watch this season, and this game needs to occupy some of the time those other eight hours would have otherwise taken up.

If you're a LOST fan and haven't caught up on the game's development, here are all the pertinent links.

A Great article over at MTV's gaming blog on the game :

http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/...e-toed-statue/

Ubisoft's official site (not much going on there) :

http://lostgame.us.ubi.com/

IGN's game profile for LOST : Via Domus :

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/829/829060.html

LOSTPedia entry for LOST : Via Domus (great analysis of the trailer) :

http://www.lostpedia.com/wiki/Lost:_The_Video_Game

And, of course, there's a great behind the scenes featurette on the development of the game on the extras disc for LOST Season 3 on DVD & BluRay.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 03-03-2008 at 08:07 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

I too am a lost fan, but I believe this translation of Via Domus would be: The Way Home. Or I hope it is because that would make sense, and if it isn't the 4 years of Latin I took would be a waste.

EDIT: or the Road Home.
    Last edited by GnawRadar; 01-18-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by GnawRadar View Post
    I too am a lost fan, but I believe this translation of Via Domus would be: The Way Home. Or I hope it is because that would make sense, and if it isn't the 4 years of Latin I took would be a waste.

EDIT: or the Road Home.
    Yes. Your more scholarly translation is probably correct.

But I'd still like to see Patrick Swayze tell Jack that NOBODY PUTS LOCKE IN A CORNER!
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

I can't but help be reminded of Monty Python. "People called Romans, they go to houses?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

So ... anybody other than me going to be picking this one up?

I was thinking that I would have to hold off playing through this one till the 8 completed episodes were done airing to fill the gap created by the writers strike ...

BUT since executive producer Carlton Cuse says that the season will have 5 more episodes, I'll just pick it up and play through ASAP.

Since UBI Montreal is behind this one, and since I was on the "love it" side of the love/hate relationship that people seemed to have with Assassin's Creed I'm SUPER jazzed for this one ...

... anybody else?

Anybody?

Bueller?

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a big fan of Lost and enjoyed Assassin's Creed as well, but I just don't see this ending up as a good game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

A game based on a TV show?

I am sure it will be AWESOME!
    I dont even care about the show but licensed games are pretty cool. I remember trading Zelda and F-Zero for the SNES Chester Cheetah game and hot damn was I ahead of the curve on that call.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

You're right.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Sothy FTW.

I would never even consider spending actual dollars on this.

Monopoly money...maybe.

Oh wait...Monopoly money is worth more nowadays...
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

*sigh* I'm not interested in getting into a debate over this ...

... but there's no indication based on early press that this game has not had a budget, development team, development cycle, development house of above average quality, or lack of involvement from the show's producers on any smaller scale than any other current gen title coming down the pike ...

... and the blanket, sweeping assessment that in this console generation (or any for that matter) that every single instance of licensed software is crap based solely on the fact that it's based on an existing property ....

well that's just plain silly.

I'll just go ahead and take the high road of actually trying the game before I pass some type of automatic negative judgment on it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    *sigh* I'm not interested in getting into a debate over this ...

... but there's no indication based on early press that this game has not had a budget, development team, development cycle, development house of above average quality, or lack of involvement from the show's producers on any smaller scale than any other current gen title coming down the pike ...

... and the blanket, sweeping assessment that in this console generation (or any for that matter) that every single instance of licensed software is crap based solely on the fact that it's based on an existing property ....

well that's just plain silly.

I'll just go ahead and take the high road of actually trying the game before I pass some type of automatic negative judgment on it.
    I definitely agree with you on this one. Sure, there are a lot of bad licensed games, but thats not to say that there haven't been any good ones. Also, I remember reading an article a while back on the development process for the game, and it seems like they were taking a very serious approach to making the game, as they didn't ant to insult the fans, knowing how incredibly attentive some of them can be. The team for the game pretty much had the rest of the show revealed to them in order to make a better game, so that way things will tie-in, but not spoil, the major plot line of the show.

So from what I can tell, the game will be a series of events that happens on the island, but doesn't affect the major characters. However, this will tie-in and help resolve some of the questions in the major storyline. I'm all for it. If I actually had a system that this was coming out for, I'd definitely pick it up.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

Like any gamers who have had the hobby for any amount of time, I have very well-defined likes and dislikes. And, as much as I generally respect the opinion of anybody here on DP (some more than others), there's always that lingering doubt...and so I really need to have good reasons (which usually won't appear until AFTER the game has been released and play-tested) before jumping on a ship I don't know, even if it's a DPer recommending it.
    Last edited by calthaer; 02-26-2008 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Not up on my vB code
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by calthaer View Post
    Like any gamers who have had the hobby for any amount of time, I have very well-defined likes and dislikes. And, as much as I generally respect the opinion of anybody here on DP (some more than others), there's always that lingering doubt...and so I really need to have good reasons (which usually won't appear until AFTER the game has been released and play-tested) before jumping on a ship I don't know, even if it's a DPer recommending it.
    The article in your link insinuates that I was doing one or more of the following

A.) Making an assumption about the games overall quality prior to it's release based on nothing more than my personal bias / excitement. (Which even though I said I was excited about the game, I never made any assessment as to whether or not it would be "good" ... simply that I was excited about it.)

B.) That I was suggesting that you (and/or other DP forum members) buy it without trying it first hand. (Again, if you re-read this whole thread - something I didn't do. Stating a release date for a title is not a suggestion to blindly buy it.)

C.) That I'm some type of "guerrilla" marketer for the game ... of which I'm not. I was (for my own personal amusement) simply gauging who else (likely other LOST fans) is EXCITED for the release of the game, and who will be picking it up tomorrow so I'll know specifically who to share commentary (private or public) on the quality of the game with.

Yes. The game might be awful. It might be a tremendous insult to both fans of the show and fans of 3D action adventure gamers ... but I certainly was not passing judgment on the game before playing it, nor was I saying that you (or anybody else) should spend/waste their hard-earned cash on it prior to seeing what fans of both the show and similar platformers think of it.

I DO however stand firmly on my points regarding licensed products NOT automatically, universally being crap by attrition. (Also an ESPECIALLY EASY dig to make when citing SNES era games.)

Lest we not forget quality licensed titles of days gone by like TMNT (II-IV), Capcom's "Marvel Vs." fighting games, pretty much ALL sports or driving games with pro "licenses" attached to them, or even some contemporary action/adventure titles with licenses like LOTR, Star Wars, The Warriors, or Walt Disney in the case of Kingdom Hearts.

The short short (yes, I know, it's too late for that) is that ALL I did was ask who else is interested in the game. I didn't make any assumptions about the quality, nor did I suggest that people should buy it blind ... so, that editorial (which, again I assume is directed at me) isn't appreciated.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-26-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sothy

So who is going to tune in and watch Veronica Mars? It is a really good show and is brought to you by Geiko insurance. When you need quality and affordability, trust Geiko. BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

This has been a test of the emergency internet system. It was only a test. In the event of a real internet emergency an official statement and evacuation orders would follow this test. We now return to regularly scheduled programming.

.. ith Wings! Now 17% more absorbant than other leading brands.

<@Carey85> I-75 is the second busiest freeway in the country behind I-95
    <@NE146> u r

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

You're right.

ServBot (Level 11) Iron Draggon's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

GREAT... now I'll NEVER get my partner off the PC, except when it's time for him to watch Lost on TV... then he'll go right back to playing it on PC...
    You can't run with the big dogs if you pee like a puppy!

Get BIT!

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

As a huge fan of Lost and obviously and avid gamer, I'm not sure what I'll do. Maybe I'll wait for the price to drop and just go on Lostpedia.com to find out what new info is uncovered by playing the game...unless there is definitive awesome SMOKE MONSTER ACTION! Then I might reconsider.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

For those interested,

here are my thoughts on the game so far:

I'm about an hour in, and in the second "episode".

The game plays out through chapters that mimic the presentation style of the TV show. Action both on-island and in flashback.

The flashback segments so far are just clue-finding, and help fill in the back-story of your character ... they way that, well, all flashbacks do as a narrative device.

The hitch is that your character is an amnesia victim ... which, frankly, is such a clichéd video game/expanded fiction device, that I'm not sure why they even decided to go that route. The way that LOST's character narratives usually play out, they could have just let the flashbacks fill in his backstory for us without having to use the "amnesia" gimmick. But, well, I guess I'll see how it plays out.

The environments are absolutely beautifully rendered the jungles are jam-packed with fully modeled foliage, and the cave walls may be the best I've ever seen in a game ... but I'm not particularly sure if the environments are 100% "perfect" in terms of size & scale ... characters seem a bit large in comparison to jungle trees and other environmental objects (plane wreckage, etc.) ... especially when making the comparison to the environments in Uncharted : Drake's Fortune, which even if not "correct" in it's character vs. environment scale "felt" a lot more "natural".

The game physics so far leave a lot to be desired. (Again, this title is likely going to suffer in repeated requisite comparison to the OTHER plane crash/island adventure game - the beautiful and polished Uncharted: Drake's Fortune) There's no jumping/climbing mechanic so far, and there may not be for the duration of the game. I realize I'm only an hour in, and that may be an ability that is unlocked based on environmental necessity.

The voice work, while tolerable are all sound-alikes, which sadly, takes something away from the experience. Thankfully the character model renders are spot on, with great likenesses and outstanding detail all around.

If I had to pick a real stand-out area apart from the beautiful graphics, it would have to be the score. It's nice to hear a full orchestra score that feels more like the TV show and less like "video-game music" ... it does the same great job of "punctuating" emotional moments like the chaos of the initial moments on the beach after the plane crash ... or discovering something from your past that fills in a "lost memory".

As far as the "for the fans" level of "attention to detail" visually, in it's narrative, and through LOST character/event interaction, I think this is where the game has shined so far, and is going to shine throughout, even if the game remains as mediocre in it's play control as it's been so far.

I have no doubt that I'll play through the whole adventure in a day or so ... and that will likely be the same for any others who pick it up now, or when the price drops ... but as most non-LOST fans had already made up their minds to do, I see no reason to advise against giving this one a miss. It's just as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Status update.

I'm about 3/4 of the way through Via Domus, and I'd just like to report that it is unfortunately what everybody expected it to be (yes, myself included DESPITE my enthusiasm for it's release) a licensed game with good intentions but awful execution.

The game is practically devoid of "action". It's relentless character communication/information gathering is redundant, pointless, and never seems to serve any purpose.

There are game mechanics (the photography/memory recovery flashbacks) that are well conceived, but again awfully executed.

Even hardcore fans aren't going to find much to enjoy here ... as the re-treading it does of the first two seasons feel more like a stroll around a sound stage than an immersive LOST experience.

I am going to finish the game to see where the story goes ... but I'm not going to recommend it by any means. Not new, not used, not even as a rental unless you're a die-hard LOSTIE whose curiosity absolutely has the best of you.