Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post
    Madden was the last PS1 game as well, wasn't it? They really don't mind pushing the limit of the system life, I guess.
    I'm actually of the school of thought that they give up on the previous systems far too soon. Especially when the graphics are not that much better from the previous generation to this one. Sony has continued to pull in revenue from PS2 games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    I'm actually of the school of thought that they give up on the previous systems far too soon. Especially when the graphics are not that much better from the previous generation to this one. Sony has continued to pull in revenue from PS2 games.
    With the Xbox, I agree that they could have continued for one more year, just because it was sort of a half generation beyond the capabilities of the PS2 anyway. I disagree that the PS2 is still playable for anything that is 3D. For RPGs or 2D games, I suppose I would still agree, but otherwise it is starting to show its 8 years of age. The other problem becomes once the next generation is widely available and adopted, people tend not to want to pay anything more than $20 for last generation titles. As such, profit decreases significantly even as development costs fall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    cloneholt
    PSN
    cloneholt

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    With the Xbox, I agree that they could have continued for one more year, just because it was sort of a half generation beyond the capabilities of the PS2 anyway. I disagree that the PS2 is still playable for anything that is 3D. For RPGs or 2D games, I suppose I would still agree, but otherwise it is starting to show its 8 years of age. The other problem becomes once the next generation is widely available and adopted, people tend not to want to pay anything more than $20 for last generation titles. As such, profit decreases significantly even as development costs fall.
    Yep, I think that's what started me thinking about this thread - seeing all these new releases for the PS2 still coming out and watching my Xbox sit there and just go quietly into the night. I chose the Xbox over the PS2 years ago because I thought the graphics and system were superior, and possibly that it might outlive it. So why did the Xbox die and the PS2 live on? Lots of reasons I'm sure, but that's for another thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Deadman View Post
    So why did the Xbox die and the PS2 live on? Lots of reasons I'm sure, but that's for another thread.
    Because the Xbox sold about 10 units in Japan, which is where all these new PS2 games are being developed.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    I assume you are talking about the Dreamcast last Japanese releases. It's US last releases came and went back in 2001 or 2002 I think.
    In US the last DC games was NHL 2K2 in early 2002, in Japan it lasted til last March.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Me too... I love my XBOX, and still play it more than any other system. Whereas I used to play a game, beat it, and ebay it... now I've been rebuilding my collection, and rebuying all those gamesthat you can't find anymore. I'd rather buy it now for 10 bucks, than wait a few years to find out a game I want to play is rare- and have to pay $50+ for it. And if they would have waited another 2 or 3 years to release the 360 or PS3... cost would have come down for the cutting edge technology they had to "put" into it... and maybe another year or so of R&D would have caught the XBOX problem. The current gen of consoles would have really benefitted from one unified HD media format, to base their consoles on. Then the price of the PS3 would have been lower... the XBOX would be better prepared for competition of massive games that the PS3 is more capable of handling. 8GBs isn't gonna be much space in another year or two... and Nintendo, well Nintendo would have still not have put in any sort of DVD player, but one could hope. Nintendo wasn't ready for the Wii to be as successful as it was... as they really treat it like a handheld- which after the GC and N64- it's understandable. And I believe that MS was responsible for the end of the XBOX life. Sony needs the PS2 to stay afloat right now... whereas microsoft did not.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

So why did the Xbox die and the PS2 live on? Lots of reasons I'm sure, but that's for another thread.
    Because MS is notorious for throwing out the baby with the bathwater for the sake of keeping the upgrade treadmill running. See also: Windows XP.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When the xbox was still being designed, and they were only at the prototype stage, microsoft sent some documents to the developers saying that the xbox was scheduled to have a 4 year lifespan. This is why most developers dropped the system at the same time, they knew 4 years in advance when the replacement console would be released.

There were 2 reasons behind the 4 year life cycle, 1) Due to licensing issues, MS was loosing money on every console made. 2) They wanted to end the Xbox1 and be first to market before sony could get out the PS3.

The plan worked out pretty well, i think. Go back and read some articles from 2001 talking about how the Xbox is doomed and won't sell a single unit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, I think that's what started me thinking about this thread - seeing all these new releases for the PS2 still coming out and watching my Xbox sit there and just go quietly into the night. I chose the Xbox over the PS2 years ago because I thought the graphics and system were superior, and possibly that it might outlive it. So why did the Xbox die and the PS2 live on? Lots of reasons I'm sure, but that's for another thread.
    I too chose the Xbox over the PS2 (despite having a PS1 the previous generation) because I thought it was a much cooler system. And after the game releases started drying up, that was ok because I was still playing my games over Xbox live.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry Nothing to see here move Along.
    Last edited by Gamemaster_ca_2003; 01-21-2008 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gamemaster_ca_2003 View Post
    Sorry Nothing to see here move Along.
    Theres actually a page and a half of stuff worth to see
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sothy View Post
    me still regrets no powepuff girls for n64 in his collection.

Then again I have a 3 foot long stack of n64 carts and no controllers to play them with /snifflr
    The Powerpuff Girls game for the N64 SUCKS. Don't feel bad.

It wasn't the last N64 game anyway... it looked to be the last one and then Tony Hawk 3 came out of nowhere something like 5 months later. Random.
    Thanks for indulging my gaming habit when I was young, Dad. You were the best. I miss you. ~David Barnes 1926-2007~

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, Tony Hawk 3 was the final N64 game. Heard it was pretty decent too.

Collection List | Twitter
    Check out the new N64 Rumble Pak. See how it feels to feel what you see.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    theclaw135
    PSN
    Eonclaw

Excuse the bump. Yeah, last year was quite harsh to previous gen systems.

GC, Xbox, and GBA all had their world's last retail game. GC/Xbox being on the same day too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Actually, now it can be said the Platinum Hits edition of Halo 2 is the last Xbox game produced.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/11/ha...ts-collection/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Actually, now it can be said the Platinum Hits edition of Halo 2 is the last Xbox game produced.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/02/11/ha...ts-collection/
    I'm surprised that they released that, that is the new last release. I wouldn't expect anymore.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew