Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Default DUO sound problems...again!

I was playing my DUO earlier, and the sound got really low, and then faded out. I can still get some sound through the headphone jack, but its low. Has the DUO overheated? I just got the sound repaired, but the DUO smells like hot plastic, so I'm wondering if thats what happened. Or is it just the Audio/Video cables? I really don't want to send the system back if I don't have to.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Even after letting it sit for 3 hours, the sound is still messed up. And when I turned it back on, it smelled awful, like something was burning. I'm using the proper power supply; I'm guessing I'll have to send it back to omnedon since its still under warranty. I had no idea these things are as fickle as a early model PS2....

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is almost for sure that your problem is the sound capacitor.This is a very common issue with the Turbo Duo's.It can be easily fix simply by replacing it.The problem itself relies with the location of this capacitor,it is very close to the IC regulator Heatsink and it can fried with the heat that the regulator provides after a while of playing.NEC decided to put in there dry capacitors.There is a replacement tutorial somewhere,but you going to have to google around.I don't remember where it is.
    What was the problem with your Duo before and where do you send your system for service?

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are not able to find it I could send you a picture of the location of the capacitor.I have been thinking adding a cooling fan there,before this problem happens in mine.If that person has replaced the capacitor,maybe missplaced the values.(+,-)
    Last edited by ooXxXoo; 01-19-2008 at 10:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

The problem before was the sound. I sent it to oldschoolgamer.ca. They do some incredible work, as they also added a region switch to the duo. The sound was working fine until today. However, the site also offers a 90-day warranty, its just a matter of me going into civilization to find a UPS store. I know sometimes old school systems can overheat, or the cables can go bad, but I've already tried letting the system cool, and using earphones, which I can get a very low sound from it. However, according to the invoice, the capacitors weren't the problem at the time. I don't have a soldering iron anymore, and the DUO is something I do not wish to risk destroying.

EDIT: I've unplugged the DUO, since when I turn it on, it smells like death.

FYI. oldschoolgamer.ca is run by the moderator of this forum, omnedon.
    Last edited by RadiantSvgun; 01-19-2008 at 10:33 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Everydoby makes mistakes.They seem to do some great work and I'm sure they're very reliable.Send it back under guarantee terms.I will recommend not to play the Duo for now.!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

if they said it wasnt the capacitors they were probably being lazy. i would have re-capped it either way. i heard that around the early 90s there were some bad batches of capacitors going around. which is a common issue with the duo, geme gear, turbo express, etc. the caps will eventually go bad anyway so i prefer to replace em before they crap out.
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    if they said it wasnt the capacitors they were probably being lazy. i would have re-capped it either way. i heard that around the early 90s there were some bad batches of capacitors going around. which is a common issue with the duo, geme gear, turbo express, etc. the caps will eventually go bad anyway so i prefer to replace em before they crap out.
    I highly doubt they were being lazy. I might have just had some bad luck with this unit. But that burning smell is the sound capacitors?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RadiantSvgun View Post
    But that burning smell is the sound capacitors?
    Most likely, since capacitor electrolytes have a rather nasty smell.
    Quote Originally Posted by starsoldier1 View Post
    GUY WAS SUPPOSE TO PLAYABLE IN THE GAME
    My collection

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes they do!..The other day I replaced my NES 2200uf 16V capacitor,by accident I misplaced the values in the board and all hell broke loose when I power the system.The capacitor blew up and that plastic burning smell was all over.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Thanks for the help guys. I'll make sure not to turn it on, and when I send it back, I'll ask if they can install a cooling fan.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

How many times have you turned this game system on and a burning smell resulted? More than once is too many times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

2 times. Once when it first started, the second after I tried the method of letting it sit for hours.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I highly doubt they were being lazy. I might have just had some bad luck with this unit. But that burning smell is the sound capacitors?
    i wouldn't know. the only way to really find out what the burning smell came from is to open it up.

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

2 times. Once when it first started, the second after I tried the method of letting it sit for hours.
    In the future, don't do that! Burning smells and electronics just don't bode well. There's no magical elf that makes them go away on their own, and believe me I have looked for that tiny man.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Radiant has contacted me via e-mail. Now that the weekend is over and we are open again, I have responded with instructions for return for free warranty repair.

ooXxXoo:

""It is almost for sure that your problem is the sound capacitor.This is a very common issue with the Turbo Duo's.It can be easily fix simply by replacing it.The problem itself relies with the location of this capacitor,it is very close to the IC regulator Heatsink and it can fried with the heat that the regulator provides after a while of playing.NEC decided to put in there dry capacitors.There is a replacement tutorial somewhere,but you going to have to google around.I don't remember where it is.""

This is almost correct, or at least partially right. Contrary to online tutorials, there is not one single capacitor that always fails. Usually it is one to three failed or failing capacitors. Which three it is, is the real trick, as each DUO seems a little different. Some can be fixed by following the tutorial, others require more or completely different parts of the circuit replaced. Also, sometimes there are caps that are 'likely' to fail, so it is a good idea to replace them as well. In this DUO's case, according to the notes in my tracking database, most of the audio circuit caps were replaced, and few other 'visibly leaking' were also replaced for reasons of future reliability.

After servicing (and region modding) Radiant's DUO, it was stress tested with disc games and HuCards for a cumulative 6 hours, 3 of those consecutive testing the repaired audio circuit. It passed all of these tests with no audio or heat issues, prior to shipping.

Obviously, the problem seems to have returned. I've already given Radiant return shipping instructions, and plan on repairing it (and returning it) at no cost to him. I have however asked for more time this time, so I can stress test the unit for longer periods of time, to ensure no further inconvenience on his part.

I've personally repaired more than 200 DUO's. This is the very first recurrence of audio failure I've seen. Obviously, something was missed, or something in the 15 year old hardware has decided to give up the ghost after the repair. Such are the risks of offering repair service for such old electronics. However, that is why we have a 3 month warranty (that we honour outside the 90 day period on occasions where it is reasonable to do so).

While I love this forum dearly, I do not like dealing with these sorts of issues in a public way, as frankly I believe dealing with the warranty issue is something between OSG and the customer. Once we've dealt with the issue (hopefully to the complete satisfaction of the customer), of course I expect the customer to tell others for good or for bad. That's why every effort will be made to solve this issue to Radiant's complete satisfaction. My reputation (and livelihood) depend on that.

So, we can all opine on what the problem may be. If I run into a problem, I may even post and ask for informed opinions on solutions. However, please reserve judgement on quality of service until OSG has had a chance to conclude the transaction.

And this transaction is not concluded until every effort has been made to solve Radiant's issue to his complete satisfaction, with my apologies for his inconvenience.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

From another member that ocassionally sells refurbished & modded hardware, that was very well put.

It's all old hardware, and sometimes shit happens. Who knows what kind of life that Duo had before it was serviced. Same goes for any piece of hardware, like buying a used car made in 1992.

When you sell & ship hundreds of old game systems, it's enevitable that at some point something will go wrong, be it a careless package handler, bad off the shelf parts, or NEC beancounters sourcing capacitors from some second-rate supplier.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    From another member that ocassionally sells refurbished & modded hardware, that was very well put.

It's all old hardware, and sometimes shit happens. Who knows what kind of life that Duo had before it was serviced. Same goes for any piece of hardware, like buying a used car made in 1992.

When you sell & ship hundreds of old game systems, it's enevitable that at some point something will go wrong, be it a careless package handler, bad off the shelf parts, or NEC beancounters sourcing capacitors from some second-rate supplier.
    yup. im surprised that my duo is still all stock parts and working fine, though i will replace all the caps (not just the audio ones) once i get suitable replacements

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

Thanks for the help in this forum guys, and FYI, I'm in no way saying anything negative about oldschoolgamer services. They are top-notch and I plan to use them for all my console services.

Strawberry (Level 2) MonoTekETeA's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

With the failure of the capacitors being linked to how close they are to the heatsink and what not, would it work to not cut the capacitor short, place insolation over the wires, and have them bend away from the heatsink? I have yet to work on a duo, but I figure would this work out?
    Yippy Kie Yo Yai Yay
    I am really bad at spelling...no really.
    v A gift from Drexel923, Thanks homie! v