Thread: PS2 tray problem - FIXED

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default PS2 tray problem - FIXED

The tray of my PS2 refuses to open, as if something would be jamming it. I opened it to see what could be the problem but after testing I think that the problem resides in the tray itself.

When I took of the tray and tested the drive, the motor spins all the way without problem. Just to be sure, I used some canned air and put the tray back. When I tested again, BAM. Jammed tray. I thought that maybe I had forgotten to align the white nub that guides the drive, but no, it was in the correct position. So I determined that the tray was the problem.

This is the underside of my tray. Could someone tell me what is wrong with it?
    Last edited by izarate; 08-10-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: expired images

Insert Coin (Level 0) Dreamcast's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Quote Originally Posted by izarate View Post
    The tray of my PS2 refuses to open, as if something would be jamming it. I opened it to see what could be the problem but after testing I think that the problem resides in the tray itself.

When I took of the tray and tested the drive, the motor spins all the way without problem. Just to be sure, I used some canned air and put the tray back. When I tested again, BAM. Jammed tray. I thought that maybe I had forgotten to align the white nub that guides the drive, but no, it was in the correct position. So I determined that the tray was the problem.

This is the underside of my tray. Could someone tell me what is wrong with it?
    Trays attend to ware out over time. then stop working. Are you using a slide card so you can play burned games?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
    Trays attend to ware out over time. then stop working. Are you using a slide card so you can play burned games?
    No, but I noticed something else: if I place the console vertically the tray opens, although slowly and it doesn't open all the way.

I'll try a couple more of things. If worst comes to worst then I guess I'll buy a flip top replacement case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

No, but I noticed something else: if I place the console vertically the tray opens, although slowly and it doesn't open all the way.

I'll try a couple more of things. If worst comes to worst then I guess I'll buy a flip top replacement case.
    well... try picking up the PS2 and Shake it. The can probably get something thats in the way of the try to move. (I shake my ps2 to get it to read DVD's better)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Could have a gear slipping on its shaft.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Fixed

Well, by a stroke of luck I came up with a solution.

When I was trying to determine what was wrong I took off the tray again but when I put it back I didn't screw it. When I tested the tray again it worked o_O. I noticed that when the tray opened, the part were the screws are was pushed a little to the side.

So I left the tray screws somewhat loose to allow it a little range of movement and that was it. Of course, that means that eventually the tray will fail completely.

By the way, what's a good site to order PS2 parts? I'm thinking about buying a complete replacement drive (tray + laser assembly). I think that since that is the part with the highest change of failing it wouldn't hurt to have a replacement handy. Maybe I'd buy another PSU too. Either that or a flip top case plus the laser assembly.
    Last edited by izarate; 08-10-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: expired images

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    X_DarkFaction_X

Well, by a stroke of luck I came up with a solution.

When I was trying to determine what was wrong I took off the tray again but when I put it back I didn't screw it. When I tested the tray again it worked o_O. I noticed that when the tray opened, the part were the screws are was pushed a little to the side.

So I left the tray screws somewhat loose to allow it a little range of movement and that was it. Of course, that means that eventually the tray will fail completely.

By the way, what's a good site to order PS2 parts? I'm thinking about buying a complete replacement drive (tray + laser assembly). I think that since that is the part with the highest change of failing it wouldn't hurt to have a replacement handy. Maybe I'd buy another PSU too. Either that or a flip top case plus the laser assembly.
    http://www.ps2parts.com/