Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: A list of games on the cover of Nintendo Power (COMPLETE)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just updated the list in the original post, so it's pretty much complete now (see below)...

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone is interested, but there are also three or four special issues put out this year (2011) that aren't part of the regular numbering order. I can post those as well if there is a desire for them.
    I know it's been a while, but if you could post those, that would be great. Then the list in the original post would be 100% complete. And thanks again for posting all these covers every month!

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I just updated the list in the original post, so it's pretty much complete now (see below)...

I know it's been a while, but if you could post those, that would be great. Then the list in the original post would be 100% complete. And thanks again for posting all these covers every month!
    No problem, I've been meaning to search them out. I'm not sure if these special issues had numbers attached to them or not, like the holiday specials did. Most of these releases were basically poster books for Mario and Zelda. I'll see what I can come up with.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So, getting back to this, we're still missing a pile of requested information.
    -Many of the issues from the last five years had two covers. Most of them didn't vary, just sized differently for subscribers vs news stand. Gonna need to find those, I'm thinking.
    -Many yearly specials, poster books and spin-offs that need cataloging as well.
    -I'm thinking that we might want to start moving this to the main site. People have been on about updating the site for the last two years or so, maybe an organized resource on gaming magazines would be the ticket.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

So, getting back to this, we're still missing a pile of requested information.
    -Many of the issues from the last five years had two covers. Most of them didn't vary, just sized differently for subscribers vs news stand. Gonna need to find those, I'm thinking.
    -Many yearly specials, poster books and spin-offs that need cataloging as well.
    -I'm thinking that we might want to start moving this to the main site. People have been on about updating the site for the last two years or so, maybe an organized resource on gaming magazines would be the ticket.
    Adding to this list, someone mentioned in another topic the idea of building a bibliography of gaming magazines. Might be worth backing up a list of all games covered per issue with proposed list above. I think Retromags has done most of the foot work on that front, so that should help speed things up.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Adding to this list, someone mentioned in another topic the idea of building a bibliography of gaming magazines. Might be worth backing up a list of all games covered per issue with proposed list above. I think Retromags has done most of the foot work on that front, so that should help speed things up.
    Returning to this topic because I started searching for scanned archives on a whim. Pretty much everything past #127 is hit or miss when it comes to scans. I'm bringing this up again because I notice there really isn't a comprehensive list of what issues covered what and when like many other magazines have. Even Retromags is missing a huge pile of data and many of their complete pages only list what was on the cover and little else.

I don't know how much interest (or even use, for that matter) there is in building a bibliography of sorts for Nintendo Power, but it feels like data I wouldn't mind investing some time into gathering. Perhaps NintendoAge is a better place for this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I'd recommend NintendoAge entirely. I know for a fact quite a few of the most active NP lovers are there and have full archives. I'm not sure they'd be willing to sit and scan them all, but you could get some leads perhaps or at least some kind of general run down on the table of contents of each issue.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I was actually musing in chat the other night that one of the reasons there aren't fully scanned archives yet is that most of the full sets are owned by NA collectors who probably don't want to devalue their collections. We'll see how it all works out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I would put it more towards laziness or lack of commitment as it's a lot of magazines and pages to do one by one.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    I would put it more towards laziness or lack of commitment as it's a lot of magazines and pages to do one by one.

Its mostly this and its very time consuming. I have all except 2 issues up to #150 which was I think the last time an N64 game was featured. I wouldn't have a problem doing it when it comes to devaluing them but I work 7 days a week and have about 3hrs a night to relax so taking multiple nights to scan magazines just isn't going to happen. Also I don't know if its just my scanner or all (ive only ever had this one) but its slow as balls and takes 2 or 3 minutes to fully scan a page, or it feels that way when Im in a hurry.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It probably is that slow depending on the mechanism and the dpi level you're scanning at as the higher you go the longer it takes (slower going or multi-passes.) I honestly don't think it would devalue any NP magazine that's intact in half decent shape one shiny penny. PDFs being out there do no harm to a legit item. It allows those who can't to read them, and those who do have and can they have a limited real treasure that won't ever get reprinted at the same quality to ever be a worry factor. It's kind of a win win, much like all the thousands of PDFs of old golden age comics online. People can download a terabyte of comics and be set for life, but it doesn't mean Action Comics #1 suddenly plummets because anyone with an internet hookup can now read it. It's entirely a time and effort committment because as you noted the N64 alone went up through 150 issues or so, and if you figure most of them I believe were around a 100 pages you're looking at scanning 15000 pieces of paper.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The scans would help for research purposes, but a full run down bibliography that I'm imagining will serve the same purpose. I've found scanned downloads on torrent sites, with the only complete packs being from #1 - #50 with three players guides and then from #1 - #127, not sure of any extras.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts

i'm just going to leave this here

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	first and last.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	8363

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

SO.
    All of the covers I added here over the year or three period were hosted on Photobucket. I still have them, but Photobucket no longer does image sharing for free accounts. If there is an interest, I'll take the time to move the images to Imgur or something and relink them here.