Thread: Saturn 2 region mod

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Saturn 2 region mod

I am wanting to modify my model 2 Saturn to play Japanese games. I have all the information and parts to make and install the standard US/UK/JAP region switch, but have a question. While searching for information on this I found an article that stated that to modify it for just US/JAP regions would only require a single switch and not the extra circuit that the 3 region setup requires. Does anyone know which jumpers the switch should be hooked to for a 2 region setup? Thanks.

JY

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Just a quick note, you can also do the USA/JPN/EUR mod without the extra circuit if you use a pair of switches (USA/JPN and USA/EUR).

But yes, a single DP/DT switch will toggle between USA and JPN without any extra parts. JP6, JP7, JP10, and JP11 are where you need to do the work. There are common points between JP6 and JP7 and a common between JP10 and JP11, those go to the center pole of the switch. Basically your switch connections need to be laid out like this...

JP6 COM JP7
    JP11 COM JP10
    (JPN)----(USA)

Of course you have to remove the existing jumpers, if you look at your Saturn board (guessing it's a USA board) you should see jumpers populating JP7 and JP10. Most Model 2 systems have all the jumpers in the same location, the center pads []-[] []-[] as in the two in the middle, are your common points for each pair. Remember that the direction the toggle points on a toggle switch is the reverse of the pins that it is making the connection to, doesn't matter, just letting you know in case you want the regions to point a specific way with the switch.

I really need to finish writing my book of tutorials and get it published.
    Last edited by InsaneDavid; 01-24-2008 at 03:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks much. I figured that since I have no EUR games and don't plan on getting any, that the 3 region mod would be overkill. Trying to keep it as simple as possible.

JY

Great Puma (Level 12) Bratwurst's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in here and say that I did the switchless region mod described here:

http://nfggames.com/neography/pivot/...66&w=nfg_games

Great for keeping the stock appearance of the system, although the region switching can be fussy if you're not careful with the timing of pressing the reset button.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had been looking at the switchless mod and had some thoughts. I haven't taken any electronics classes in many years so my knowledge may be flaky. From trying to figure out the circuit it seems that the reset button is only used to provide the +5 volts to trigger the change. If that is the case, is it not possible to just add another little push button to a +5 volt source and not interfere with the operation of the reset button? Granted, that would make it no longer switchless, but I am sure that there is some way to make it look nice.

As a side note about the electronics classes that I have taken; one of them was an Army course that I took in the mid '80s. Obviously the course was much older since the opening paragraph stated "In this the new and exciting age of the transistor."

JY

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I stopped doing the switchless mod...the reset switch was too flakey, and would always cause me problems

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Switchless is flakey, but if one is keen on having no switch, I find switchless is best to use by turning the system on normally for native region, and powering it on while holding down reset for alternate region. On my unit it's the most consistent way to make it switch.

External switches are straight up simpler. You just look at the switch. Switchless has it's place, as an option.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!