Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just got my Gen-X Dual Station NES/GENESIS clone

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Just got my Gen-X Dual Station NES/GENESIS clone

I just got my Gen-X dual station NES/GENESIS clone today (amidst an eBay fiasco with a shady seller, that caused me for the first time ever to file a report with PayPal asking them to refund my money ... which they did, very quickly when they saw that the seller was in fact ... a shady, sheisty, jerk.)

But, I digress.

I know there was a thread detailing the system's release, but I'm not sure if it had an actual review of the hardware in it ... and, for some reason I can never seem to get the forum search feature to work (I always get a "you didn't input the minimum amount of search terms" error, even if I type a dang sentence in the thing) ...

so, here's my short review on the system.

Looks nice ... somewhere between the size of a Genesis 2 and a Genesis 3 (closer to the 3, but larger). Made of the same grade plastic as most Hong Kong clones. Nice pin-sets on both the NES and GENESIS side of things - VERY TIGHT, which is never a bad thing when it comes to cartridges.

The controllers are reminiscent of 3rd party 6 button Genesis controllers, and have a slow-mo button (woo freakin hoo), but no turbo buttons unless you're in NES mode, in which case the top three buttons serve as turbos. All the buttons and directions worked great, and Street Fighter type "hadoken" moves were in full effect with no headaches.

The NES software compatibility is typical of NOAC clones, no Castlevania III support, but a few games seemed to have less graphical inconsistency/scrambling than my little YOBO, or myriad of other strange-named clones...though, there is one MAJOR issue with NES titles that I'll address at the end of the review.

The Genesis compatibility seems pretty nice from what I tried ... I couldn't find anything in my collection that wouldn't boot up or play ... but the sound seemed a bit tinny at times ... I guess that'll be the standard issue with Genesis clone systems if they're the "flavor of the month" in HK for the next few years (since this is the first I've really seen).

Now...with the good comes the stupid.

Everybody knows that the NES button layout is as follows reading from left to right:

B,A

...I guess the developers of this thing couldn't have the buttons function as A for NES and B for Genesis, so they decided the NES should get the short end of the stick and have it's button functionality bound to the letters on the controller.

So, what we have is a NES clone that has backwards button mapping on the controller. The buttons on the Gen-X controller read from left to right:

A,B,C

Now...there SEEMS to be a saving grace .... sort of.

Button C appears to function as A+B however it must in the first micro-second of it's "macro" press the A first.

SO, in a game like River City Ransom, it will always make your character jump. Not bad for River City Ransom - having that function mapped to it's own button.

AND, in the case of Punch Out, it allows the C button to function as the RIGHT punch whereas the buttons would otherwise be backwards and the LEFT button would be the RIGHT punch. I tried it out pretty extensively in the case of punchout and it ALWAYS threw the right punch with C, every single time.

HOWEVER, in Super Mario 3, where after you jump while sporting the tanooki tail, you'll have to move your thumb over to A to get the "flappy" tail action as after the macro designates that first press as the JUMP, the rest of your mid-air presses seem to designate the "360-spin" action.

SO, now then.

Does this mean the system is NES crippled? No, not totally. There may be instances of NES games that will drive you nuts with a reversed button scheme, but from what little I've tested, the C button "macro" seems to always press the A (the right-most button on a real NES controller) first.

Personally I consider that a major issue with the device that has never been eluded to in any review of the system I've seen, and I felt the DP crowd should know about it.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the whole setup as a decent, unique, space-saving dual-format clone.

Me, I'm a clone collector, so it was going in my collection regardless.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 01-25-2008 at 12:02 PM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

nifty id love to get a look at this things genesis internals, i heard that its not expected to support the 32x anything you can say that would give this idea a thumbs up or down?
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    nifty id love to get a look at this things genesis internals, i heard that its not expected to support the 32x anything you can say that would give this idea a thumbs up or down?
    Well, I'm not much of a hardware expert, but I'd venture to guess that it wouldn't be able to support the 32X simply due to the lack of s-video style input/output on it (it uses standard AV cables) ... didn't you NEED to run the 32X in and out of the Genesis with special cables or else you'd have gameplay/display problems?
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    [IMG]Now...with the good comes the stupid.

Everybody knows that the NES button layout is as follows reading from left to right:

B,A

...I guess the developers of this thing couldn't have the buttons function as A for NES and B for Genesis, so they decided the NES should get the short end of the stick and have it's button functionality bound to the letters on the controller.

So, what we have is a NES clone that has backwards button mapping on the controller. The buttons on the Gen-X controller read from left to right:

A,B,C

Now...there SEEMS to be a saving grace .... sort of.

Button C appears to function as A+B however it must in the first micro-second of it's "macro" press the A first.

SO, in a game like River City Ransom, it will always make your character jump. Not bad for River City Ransom - having that function mapped to it's own button.

AND, in the case of Punch Out, it allows the C button to function as the RIGHT punch whereas the buttons would otherwise be backwards and the LEFT button would be the RIGHT punch. I tried it out pretty extensively in the case of punchout and it ALWAYS threw the right punch with C, every single time.

HOWEVER, in Super Mario 3, where after you jump while sporting the tanooki tail, you'll have to move your thumb over to A to get the "flappy" tail action as after the macro designates that first press as the JUMP, the rest of your mid-air presses seem to designate the "360-spin" action.

SO, now then.

Does this mean the system is NES crippled? No, not totally. There may be instances of NES games that will drive you nuts with a reversed button scheme, but from what little I've tested, the C button "macro" seems to always press the A (the right-most button on a real NES controller) first.

Personally I consider that a major issue with the device that has never been eluded to in any review of the system I've seen, and I felt the DP crowd should know about it.

Otherwise, I'd recommend the whole setup as a decent, unique, space-saving dual-format clone.
    That button mapping sounds similar to the NES button mapping on the FC Twin (SNES/NES clone) because I had one of those and it is definitely not the button scheme I remember on the good ol' NES. The buttons on that are not in the right place either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    That button mapping sounds similar to the NES button mapping on the FC Twin (SNES/NES clone) because I had one of those and it is definitely not the button scheme I remember on the good ol' NES. The buttons on that are not in the right place either.
    True!!

On the FC Twin - the NES B is mapped to the Y (top left most button on the FC Twin controller) and the NES A is mapped to B (below and slightly to the right)

.... however, since geographically if you go from left to right on the FC Twin's controller, the NES B is the leftmost and NES A is the next to the right of it (albeit diagonally down) I didn't have as much of an issue with it when I tested it out (at least not enough to bring up as a "reversed" layout).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey it looks like a Sega Neptune. Too bad it doesn't have the built in 32x.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is this clone compatible with the Genesis Sega Master converter?...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Is this clone compatible with the Genesis Sega Master converter?...
    You'd probably have to gut and/or mod the case of the MSC due to the way the console is shaped. (I remember it not fitting the Genesis 2 correctly.)

If anybody has a converter and wants to bring it to the NAVA meeting we can see if it fits/works. (Though I doubt it will.)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Does it play first round EA Genny titles?
    (i.e. Zany Golf, Populous, etc.)

Also, any problems with Sonic & Knuckles lock-on? Finally, is it possible to hook up a 32x or Sega CD or Power Base Converter to this bad boy?
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by GrandAmChandler View Post
    Does it play first round EA Genny titles?
    (i.e. Zany Golf, Populous, etc.)

Also, any problems with Sonic & Knuckles lock-on? Finally, is it possible to hook up a 32x or Sega CD or Power Base Converter to this bad boy?
    I don't have any 1st gen EA games to test.

I don't have it but it is reported fully functional with Sonic & Knuckles with lock ons,

but it doesn't have the hardware for Sega CD, and it doesn't have the video cable ports for the 32X (again, if memory serves you need to bridge the video bewteen the 32X and the Genesis with a small S-Video style patch cord that, if not present, would cause all sorts of graphical issues and general non-functionality with the 32X).

SMS Converter might be a possibility if it would fit ... but it probably doesn't fit without modification. Again, I'll need to verify, and unfortunately I don't own a SMS PBC.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 01-25-2008 at 03:11 PM.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wonder how does this GEN-X clone motherboard looks like?...Is the Virtua Racing game compatible?...If it has the proper hardware to run the Master Converter,it is more likely to be compatible with the 32X,hopefully it will have some RGB lines to add the 9 mini pin connector.You must find out if Sega Master games can be played on it.....When I was in Argentina a few months ago,they had some Genesis clones that were able to run the SMC hardware.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Hmm, yeah ... perhaps the thing does have the architechture to run the SMS PBC ... I just don't think it'll fit.

BUT,

due to the interest people have in whether or not it can run SMS ... I'll be SURE to bring it to the NAVA meeting, and even if nobody has a Power Base Converter they can bring to test, I'll see if Joe has one in the store we can mess around with.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

my curiousity is what region is it?

have you tried a copy of streets of rage or revenge of shinobi to see what title screen ot boots up to, and lastly I'm curious if it would play the region locked games like streets of rage 3 or shining force 2?

INQURING MINDS WANT TO KNOW...or something ;-)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    my curiousity is what region is it?

have you tried a copy of streets of rage or revenge of shinobi to see what title screen ot boots up to, and lastly I'm curious if it would play the region locked games like streets of rage 3 or shining force 2?

INQURING MINDS WANT TO KNOW...or something ;-)
    It has a region switch on the back, you can set it to US or JAPAN, though I have no Japanese Genesis games with region lockout to test it on.

However, for those interested, at NAVA on Saturday, we took a look at the Master System Power Base Converter and, like the Genesis 2, there's no way to fit the unit on the Gen-X.

Even if the back plastic was removed from the BPC, you'd still have no access to the power switch on the Gen-X.

My guess is you'd have to totally gut the PBC and re-format it...and even then, it's questionable as to whether or not it would run.

Oh well, there's simply no substitute for the Genesis 1 when it comes to the Master System Converter!

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Has anyone encounter any game incompatibilities with the GEN-X Genesis side?....
    For some strange reason all of my copies of Super Street Fighter II show some abnormal character glitches with Balrog and Sagat during game play.....
    §ø Ï ζ Ξ Δ φ Ψ ς ώ ☆ ¿ ∞ ♪ ξ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by ooXxXoo View Post
    Has anyone encounter any game incompatibilities with the GEN-X Genesis side?....
    For some strange reason all of my copies of Super Street Fighter II show some abnormal character glitches with Balrog and Sagat during game play.....
    I haven't done that much stress testing with this unit...shortly after I got the RetroDuo and that pretty much took over my clone testing/reviewing.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    arthurotaku

Why not buy an original NES and genesis and play 100% of games and add-ons?

XBL: ArthurOtaku
    PSN: Arthur-Otaku

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Otaku View Post
    Because some people collect clone hardware and what better people than to report on overall operations and performance? However seeing your comment in the other thread (about the RetroDuo) it's clear that you simply don't understand this and I smell a bait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur-Otaku View Post
    In addition to collecting clone systems, of course I own authentic NES and Genesis hardware.

I'm fairly certain that I throw the disclaimer out there in my Retro Duo thread, and even if I don't, I am of the understanding and the belief that there's NO substitute for authentic hardware.

As David stated, for me, it's more about a desire to collect clone systems.

I find them immensely appealing from a collector's standpoint. They're interesting, often times unique in their design (though that seems to be less the case in recent years), in some cases provide multiple functions that the original, authentic hardware didn't (dual compatibility, AV output, etc.) and they rarely ever break my bank when a new one becomes available.

So. Yeah, that's why.

If I wanted to play Castlevania III prior to the Retro Duo, I would bust out my NES 2, and if I wanted to play a Genesis game ... well, between my Genesis 3, CDX, and Nomad, I had (and still have) plenty of options.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

I just wish there was a clone that would actually play Castlevania III, I guess that is too much to ask.

Is the Genny portion region free?

Edit : Just saw the region switch comment. I wonder if PAL games will play on it?
    Part of the #Vbender Crew