Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gamma Attack Found [2600 Game/Proto]

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink Gamma Attack Found [2600 Game/Proto]

Last edited by Vectorman0; 01-27-2008 at 10:34 PM. Reason: title edited for clarity

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Cheezus
    Nice find. Will there ever be a rom dump and info on AtariAge? What did Albert say? (web guy for the site)
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats on the find man. No would someone get it into the database please!
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It should already be in the Rumor Mill; I've had it on my list for YEARS.
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Big shock that the AA thread got hijacked with ROM-dumping drama... Too bad.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Phantomofwdbk View Post
    Did as you said and read all about it. I found the meltdown toward the end particularly entertaining. Thanks for the read! Cheers!
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Agree with Sniderman, good reading, good drama, sucks for Al and AA, Al is a nice guy and I value his input. Dump the darn thing I say! Even if repos pop up, the true original is what counts. Nobody will have that except phantom. If I ever run across a proto, I have no problem dumping it, there's plenty of DPers around me in the DFW area who know what to do. It's the thrill of knowing you are the one who unearthed the rumored game and brought it to light.
    I have two basic food groups, fast and frozen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

It amuses me how this happens like every time. Remember one that one fellow was going to release the rom of a game he had been working on back in the day, and the insanity of people talking about rom dumps and repro releases turned him off of the whole thing?

If I found a proto there's no way in hell I'd tell anyone over there.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) vintagegamecrazy's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I say he do what he wants, he did get drilled with dumping the cart. It is his and he doesn't want it to be pirated and hacked to death, I'd probably want the same thing as well.
    If they made a movie out of your top five worst sins, what would it be rated?

Check out my list of trades on GameTZ Link

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just sad that a game I barely believed COULD exist shows up, and I won't even get to see what the cartridge looks like (or was it just a handmade label and not an art proto?).
    Russ Perry Jr, 2175 S Tonne Dr #114, Arlington Hts IL 60005
    Got any obscure game stuff?

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sad. And I thought Neo-geo.com was the place for 'teh drama'!

It's a neat find. I can't understand all the people getting their knickers in a twist because he won't just dump it for them. A few days ago, they never knew it even existed - now all of a sudden they appear to think that they have some divine right to own a copy of it themselves, for free. And the people who were kicking a stink about getting a repro that might have different binary to the original ... that's just plain weird! It's like complaining about a limited print run of a newly discovered book, simply because it's going to be printed in a different font.
    "The last time a nation did what a bush told them to do, they ended up wandering 40 years in the wilderness ... " - Anonymous

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hope he keeps it to himself without dumping it only to see it erase itself in a couple of years and become next to worthless.

Why people in this community that stumble across a prototype and then take offense that someone else could produce reproduction carts is beyond me, its not like he owns the rights to this game anymore than any of us, he was just lucky enough to stumble across it in a thrift store for probably a quarter. I see no reason why he has anymore right to profit from it than anyone else, its not his to sell copies and make money off of without permission from the copyright holder, who appears to have passed away some years ago.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-03-2008 at 05:10 PM.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

Bio Force Ape

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Why people in this community that stumble across a prototype and then take offense that someone else could produce reproduction carts is beyond me, its not like he owns the rights to this game anymore than any of us, he was just lucky enough to stumble across it in a thrift store for probably a quarter. I see no reason why he has anymore right to profit from it than anyone else, its not his to sell copies and make money off of without permission from the copyright holder, who appears to have passed away some years ago.
    First off, i'm not against people dumping games, and i'm not against dumping games that i have.

What i am against is people telling me what to do...

First off, this guy has the right to make a profit off of what he bought. See the right of first sale for clarification. If he had found a sealed copy of stadium events, he'd be allowed to sell it for a profit, so why not this?

As for dumping the game, as you so nicely put, he doesn't have the legal right to do so. He's doesn't have the licensing rights to that game so he can't legally sell copies to other people. By the same respect, he can't give out free copies to other people either.

If he dumps it, great. If not, i understand. It's cool to own one of a kind things, it's even better when people are willing to pay a lot of money for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

He's free to sell his single prototype for profit, no one disputes that. I'm cool with him keeping it and never releasing it, selling the prototype for profit, releasing the rom, or selling reproductions for cost plus a little bit for his time while simultaneousily releasing the bin. And I'm not cool with people harassing him to release it when he doesn't have to.

However, he doesn't have the freedom to sell reproductions of something that isn't his for profit and holding the game hostage if the community won't abide by his illusion that he is now the owner of the game. His ownership rights only apply to that physical cartridge, not the code within. That's what I'm not cool with.

If he's going to distribute copyrighted material that isn't his, it should be for the good of the community and preservation, not personal financial gain. If someone like him acts all whiney that someone else might make copies of something that wasn't his to financially benefit from reproducing in the first place, don't come looking for sympathy. If any of us ever get access to the rom, we'd have just as much rights to distribute it as he does.

I'd rather he kept the game until it suffers from bit rot and becomes useless than appease him, so I for one applaud Albert and a few others over there. His attitude shouldn't be tolerated, even if it means we'll potentially lose a little bit of history. But I can almost promise that won't happen, he'll eventually sell most likely to another collector who hopefully would release it (Unless he's like that A Boy Named Charlie Brown proto owner). And I suspect they'd have the sense to at least back it up and make sure its preserved even if we don't have access to it.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-04-2008 at 12:21 AM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My mistake then, i didn't realize he was trying to make repros. That never sat well with me...

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't think this is a case of people hounding him for a free copy at all. He had already planned to make the game available. The drama didn't start until he announced that he would alter the original code of the game in order to prevent someone else from making cartridges, and a handful of potential customers - in a move that I agree with - said that they would not be interested in purchasing something with altered code. For some reason, that was the drama bomb.

It's unfortunate that people seem to have this horrible fear of some dipshit making a few bucks making reproduction cartridges, especially after the game was theoretically already for sale at AtariAge (who the heck would make copies of an available game?!), but it's a pretty common trend. I really don't see what the big deal is, but it's common enough that I'm at least not surprised about it anymore.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, i guess i really misunderstood what was going on.

I thought the repro idea worked out pretty well in the case of Airball. The owner gets to make back a fair portion of the value, and the community gets a rom. Now if he's doing something to the repros that keep them from being dumped, that's a bit more shady...

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Whenever I get a proto, I dump it ASAP and share it with everyone. I don't care how rare the game is or sought after. As long as I still have the original, fuck it. I can't help but think such opposite attitudes are greed motivated. If not greeg, then a sort of Montgomery Burns attitude.

"Yesssss, Smithers. It's the only one in existence and it's mine!"

"Well, what do you want to do with it, sir?"

"Throw it in the McDuck vault with the legions of others to suffer from bitrot for eternity!"

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!