Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy III (SNES) vs. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)?

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Final Fantasy III (SNES) vs. Final Fantasy VI Advance (GBA)?

I was wondering which of these was better? I heard the GBA version has some extra content. Is that extra content really worth getting that version over the original? I do have a gba player for my gamecube, so either way, I'm playing it on the TV.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

then you should probably go with the gba version. I mean if you're not looking for it to collect but just to play...there would be no reason to get it for SNES.
    A. The snes version is more expensive
    B. The gba version according to you has extra content
    c. Either way you're playing it on tv
    D. The gba version is newer so is much less of a chnace then the save file going to crap

So yeah go with the gba version

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Liek said above.. if you are not getting it for collection purposes at all, ge tthe GBA version. I myself have FFIII for SNES, as I collect games.
    Now it is the beginning of
    a fantastic story! Let us
    make a Journey to
    the cave of Monters!
    Good luck!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the gba one is almost perfect compared to the snes one, my only complaints were a differnt (in some ways better) translation that changed some of the items spells and monshters to be closer to the japanese, so if you like cyan's weapons having bizaare japanese names then its not a big deal, the extra content is nice (the 3 party dungeon is a BITCH to find your way around) but it was way worth playing through a great game again.

the only way i'd say go for the snes one is theres a very very very nice hack someone made that added a new game+ option to the game that adds an INCREDIBLE amount of replay value as they did a very good job at implementing the feature.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Snes

The SNES has better audio than the GBA version. Though the GBA does have the Dragon's Den (extra dungeon and more Espers).

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Habeeb Hamusta View Post
    then you should probably go with the gba version. I mean if you're not looking for it to collect but just to play...there would be no reason to get it for SNES.
    A. The snes version is more expensive
    B. The gba version according to you has extra content
    c. Either way you're playing it on tv
    D. The gba version is newer so is much less of a chnace then the save file going to crap

So yeah go with the gba version
    yhep, if your just playing and not collecting i agree, go for the GBA. though there are was around point D if you are dead set playing the origional and are paranoid about save file getting erased....but it will cost so its really not worth it

can anyone confirm if the GBA version is easier though? personnaly i can't stand when they do this since i love a challenge. I was so dissapointed with how easy FF was when they remade it on the PS1.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm both a collector and a player, I'm just a little behind on the second one . I wouldn't mind having the snes one, but I'll likely end up with the gba one.

The last few times I've been to McVans, I've noticed that they had priced FFIII for around $30. I can get either version for about the same price. I'm still watching for the GBA version to drop in price some. FF IV and FF V both dropped in price at a few places like Circuit City. Sadly, FF VI is still full price everywhere I've gone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

the dificulty level is equal to the japanese version, so its slighly harder then the us version, in fact the vanish/doom gltich as well as the magic defence glitch AND the sketch glitches have been fixed.

I forgot about the music on the gba one, its the same music just a little toned down unfortnatly (snes had a better sound chip)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    the only way i'd say go for the snes one is theres a very very very nice hack someone made that added a new game+ option to the game that adds an INCREDIBLE amount of replay value as they did a very good job at implementing the feature.
    If you've got a SNES cart version, how would you use the new game+? You'd have to use a rom am I right?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

There are a few edited scenes in the GBA version (i.e. Celess getting slapped), but it's not anything big if you've never played the game before, but it's somewhat bothersome if you have.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldb33r View Post
    If you've got a SNES cart version, how would you use the new game+? You'd have to use a rom am I right?

if you have certain snes copiers you can apply the patch while playing, or alternatively you could mod the cart if you have the technology.

or yeah, just play the rom after buying the actual cart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd like to hear more about this New Game + FF3/6 for Super Nintendo.

On topic, I think regarding which one is the better choice, if you haven't played the Super Nintendo game, then getting the cheaper Game Boy Advance version is probably your best bet.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'd ever go for GBA over SNES.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    I'd like to hear more about this New Game + FF3/6 for Super Nintendo.

On topic, I think regarding which one is the better choice, if you haven't played the Super Nintendo game, then getting the cheaper Game Boy Advance version is probably your best bet.

Speaking for myself, I don't think I'd ever go for GBA over SNES.
    yeah second'd I'm interested in this new game + patch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

This is kind of OT but I this thread made me want to play the game again (PSX version) and it's as great now as it was when I was 13. I may pick up the GBA version if I ever see it, just so I can have it in my collection since this is probably my favorite Non-3D Final Fantasy.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

SPOILER ALERT!

(course if you havn't beaten the game by now...blah blah you've been warned)

basicly the hack allows you to once you've gotten to the world of ruin you can go into the training room in narshe ,if you talk to the guy at the desk he'll ask you if you want to do a new game+, which will put you back at the beggining of the game back at level 1 BUT you'll have all your stats (not hp/mp remeber how the stat system works in the game you can only increase your stats via espers) you'll have all your items espers and learned spells. Its a very well done and glitch free hack, you can finally complete a full set of items and espers as well as get multiple paladin shields ragnaroks iullumins atma weapons and other rare trinkets, not to mention you can really customize godlike charecters. its honestly a feature the original game should have had and more so the gba version.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am kind of anal when it comes to ports like this; for whatever reason I don't like playing a game a second time after they have made changes -- even if they're for the better. I want to play it the way it was when I played it way back when! But then again, you've gotta remember my interest in gaming is often fueled solely by nostalgia...

So my vote goes to SNES.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Does the Vanish/x-Zone trick still work in the GBA version? When I played the SNES version I had to use that on the ultima weapon. I hate the grind of power leveling. If I'm in a grinding mood I'm most likely playing Diablo or Phantasy Star Online.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    Does the Vanish/x-Zone trick still work in the GBA version? When I played the SNES version I had to use that on the ultima weapon. I hate the grind of power leveling. If I'm in a grinding mood I'm most likely playing Diablo or Phantasy Star Online.
    nope it works the way its spose to, vanish was spose to make your magic resistance 0 but somehow they fucked it up and made it so every spell never fails (only reason it doens't work on poltergiest and the final statues is they have a specific nonmagical imunity to instant death attacks)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get the SNES version!
    First of all, the audio is 5X better, and fuller. These games are basically silent films, audio is hugely important.
    Kefka's laugh is Kefka's laugh, not some half-assed thing in the GBA verison.
    SECOND of all, the GBA version is sooo much easier, they made the game much easier beceause they don't want people running down their batteries levelling up or facing a challenge.
    The SNES version keeps the integrity of the game, while the GBA version is for kindergarden.

Cherry (Level 1) ClassicGameTrader's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    stillgetmine199

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzwing256 View Post
    SPOILER ALERT!

(course if you havn't beaten the game by now...blah blah you've been warned)

basicly the hack allows you to once you've gotten to the world of ruin you can go into the training room in narshe ,if you talk to the guy at the desk he'll ask you if you want to do a new game+, which will put you back at the beggining of the game back at level 1 BUT you'll have all your stats (not hp/mp remeber how the stat system works in the game you can only increase your stats via espers) you'll have all your items espers and learned spells. Its a very well done and glitch free hack, you can finally complete a full set of items and espers as well as get multiple paladin shields ragnaroks iullumins atma weapons and other rare trinkets, not to mention you can really customize godlike charecters. its honestly a feature the original game should have had and more so the gba version.
    And what might this hack be callled? Where can we find it?
    'Why should I lie when I can dramatize?"