Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Default Component Video Cables

I finally upgraded my TV last week to a 32" Flatscreen, and I noticed it has component video inputs in the back. Since my TV isn't a High Definition model (they were way too much), will using component video cables with a game console make any difference? I'm assuming it must look slightly better or they wouldn't have bothered putting the jacks in the back of the TV.

Tempest

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Better than what?

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Things that using component cables is DEFINITELY better than:

-being abducted and probed by aliens.
    -havnig your toe lopped off in a freak industrial accident.
    -listening to Yoko Ono music.

Hope this helps :P

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

But is it better than spending 5 hours trying to beat Zelda's level 6 blue knights, only to have your mother come in and turn off the power because you didn't come out to dinner? That happened at a friend's house and all hell broke loose.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be noticeably better than composite or RF. I don't know if you would see a noticeable improvement over S-video. Does it have an S-video input as well?
    (\ /)
    (O.o) ---XBL GT: RHINDLE
    (><)
    /_|_\ ---PH34R TEH BUNNY

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I know on a HDTV it would make a differecne. You see all the details. I just picked up a HDTV and ordered my componet cables. I will try them on my none HDTV compaired to the S-video and let you know if there is a difference.

Scott

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

On my dvd player there is a difference between svid and component. It is small, but this is a sample of a nonhd, nonprogressive scan example.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Better than what?
    I thought I mentioned that, sorry. I'm using S-Video now and I was wondering if I would notice the difference with component video on a non-HD TV.

Tempest

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't think the HD is the issue at all, since the game isn't HD anyway. The real differences will be things like is the game system progressive scan (do these exist? I don't know)? What type of filter does the tv have? Digital? 2 line, 3 line, etc? Those are the things that will determine how much more your components gives than the svid. I suspect that since it's a brand new tv the difference will be small but enough to notice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chadtower
    I don't think the HD is the issue at all, since the game isn't HD anyway. The real differences will be things like is the game system progressive scan (do these exist? I don't know)? What type of filter does the tv have? Digital? 2 line, 3 line, etc? Those are the things that will determine how much more your components gives than the svid. I suspect that since it's a brand new tv the difference will be small but enough to notice.
    honestly matt, i doubt if you will see much difference between s-video and component, especially on a non-hd monitor.

and to answer some of these questions- some games do output high definition images (720p and or 1080i) .. the only system (besides a PC) that can do this is XBox. You would not be able to get anything besides 480i without the component cables. as far as i know, xbox and game cube are the only two consoles that use progressive scan. game cube games scarcely use it, as far as i know EVERY xbox game outputs at least a 480p image.
    hope this helps

willie

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I noticed a big difference in brightness of colors while using it on my non-HDTV flatscreen. If you have a PS2 and are playing a PSOne game, you'll REALLY notice a difference in color brightness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Component is a definate step up from s-video. While s-video does a good job of eliminating most of the composite artifacts, component goes one step further. I notice it most in terms of color purity, espically blue. With component, your TV will start to resemble a computer monitor in terms of stability & color.

Also, the comb filter in a television has no effect on svideo or component. It is only used for the composite inputs.

Whatever you do, don't spend a fortune on cables. MCM electronics has great cables at reasonable prices. The more that the signal is split up into discreet components, the less important the cabling becomes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You will notice a dramatic difference in the colors. I know i went from s-video to component and noticed the collors were more vivid and vibrant. I even noticed the difference from the Microsoft cables and the Monsters. The MS cables are thinner and seemed more towards the green scale. Looked a little fainter as well. The Monster cables were real vivid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Anyone know why Nintenod doesn't sell Gamecube component cables in stores? I can't seem to find them anywhere!

Is there a splitter or switch box type thing for component inputs? I haven't seen one yet, and I'll have three things to plug into one component jack.

Tempest

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

re: the gamecube, I actually called nintendo when I ordered my new Tv, and asked them where ot find component cables. You can order then through the website or over the phone form nintendo, but they're not sold in stores due to "low demand".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    Is there a splitter or switch box type thing for component inputs? I haven't seen one yet, and I'll have three things to plug into one component jack.
    I use one of those plain Radio Shack a/v switchboxes... the one with composite/l/r jacks. Just keep yer colors straight and it'll work fine

The Gamecube component cable is priced to make up ground on hardware profit loss. Kinda like extended warranties & automotive undercoating. Personally, I'll be waiting until it's available at a more reasonable price. I try not to purchase anything that's %1000 markup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

I use one of those plain Radio Shack a/v switchboxes... the one with composite/l/r jacks. Just keep yer colors straight and it'll work fine
    I was wondering if you could do that, but wouldn't you need 2 switch boxes then (one for the component cables and one for sound)? That could get a bit confusing.

I'm not even sure if my TV supports 480p or not (any way to find out?) so component cables may not do me much good.

Tempest

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest
    I was wondering if you could do that, but wouldn't you need 2 switch boxes then (one for the component cables and one for sound)? That could get a bit confusing.
    Yeah, you do. I have 2 switchboxes that are stacked on top of each other... I just hit both sets of buttons at the same time. There is probably a better way of doing it, but I just happened to have extra switchboxes. Last time I looked, component video switchboxes were stupid expensive.

The easiest way to tell if your TV supports progressive scan is to feed it a progressive scan signal and see what happens. Like on the Xbox, just set it for progressive scan & pop in a game. If it doesn't work, just set it back (the dashboard defaults to 480i). Or, it will probably be in the TV manual. From the sounds of it, your TV probably doesn't support progressive scan.

Progressive scan or not, upgrade to component if you have the chance. You will notice a difference.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

Well I already have two boxes (one for my S-Video systems, and one for the composite systems), what's one more? I don't think my TV supports PS (I think it's a JVC AV-32F713), but if I get richer colors its worth it. My next TV will be a 36" HDTV, but I didn't want to spend $1800 on a TV this time around.

Tempest

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Gamecube component cable is priced to make up ground on hardware profit loss. Kinda like extended warranties & automotive undercoating. Personally, I'll be waiting until it's available at a more reasonable price. I try not to purchase anything that's %1000 markup
    The cables where only 30 bucks. That is not a lot for cables.