Insert Coin (Level 0) Jagermeister's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sosuke Dhampir

Default Just modded the Snes... [Super Famicom Recommendations]

I just modded my SNES and am looking for any good Super Famicom games that'd I'd enjoy even if I don't know any Japanese. Thanks.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
    I just modded my SNES and am looking for any good Super Famicom games that'd I'd enjoy even if I don't know any Japanese. Thanks.
    modded? lol more like broke 2 pieces of plastic.
    anyway, some killer jap games that i have played on my snes are:
    rockman&forte
    rockman 7
    ganbare goemon
    but it all depends on whatcha want. try some of the roms in an emu and if you like em buy em
    meow :3

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SnowKitty View Post
    modded? lol more like broke 2 pieces of plastic.
    It's still a modification. The first one I think everyone should learn how to do, but it's still a mod and far more useful than the piles of LED's some people shove in consoles for no reason.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    It's still a modification. The first one I think everyone should learn how to do, but it's still a mod and far more useful than the piles of LED's some people shove in consoles for no reason.
    Very true. In terms of level of difficulty of the modification vs. potential benefits garnered, I don't think you'll find a better ratio on any other system.

My collection of Super Famicom games isn't very English-friendly for the most part (although, I say this in only relative terms, as I barely know any Japanese whatsoever and have easily played through countless RPGs and simulations), but in terms of games that have little text in them, I recommend: Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie (shooter), Ganbare Goemon 4 (platformer), Neugier (stripped down Zelda-style adventure game; there's some text, but it won't really get in your way), Pop'n TwinBee (shooter), and TwinBee: Rainbow Bell Adventure (platformer).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    And much better than my method which was to simply carve out 2 holes in my SFamicom carts with a screwdriver. Why I didn't think of taking out the tabs in my SNES.. I'll never know. I guess I was just stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NE146 View Post
    And much better than my method which was to simply carve out 2 holes in my SFamicom carts with a screwdriver. Why I didn't think of taking out the tabs in my SNES.. I'll never know. I guess I was just stupid
    Sometimes you have to do whatever works, NE146.

I actually don't think it looks that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He he he, this is so funny, you made my day NE146
    I did buy a couple of Japanese games that had such holes at the back, so you were not the only one.

Anyway, back on topic. I've been reviewing a lot of Super Famicom games on my site, at Video Game Den. I'd advice games such as Battle Zeque Den,Flying Hero,Macross : Scrambled Valkyrie,Marchen Adventure Cotton 100%,Pop'n TwinBee etc... there're just too many. I'd also advice to look at Steve's excellent RVG Fanatic web site, and also the Gaming Sanctuary Super Famicom section.

I hope this helps

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

^ Thanks Ikermel.

Yeah, in late 2006 I ran a message board project highlighting my impressions on Obscure SFC games (covering over 60 mostly SFC-only games) and the darn thing became so big that I finally got my butt in motion to put it all on a website.

The link is below (as well as provided by Ikermel, but note the small new URL change in my sig)

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know, a simple import converter cartridge would have done the trick just as well with much less hassel. But atleast you got alittle bit of experience out of it. As for imports, if you are into wrestling try any of the numerous Fire Pro Wrestling games that got put out for that system. Also see if you can track down imports of some US classics like Super Metroid(it even features an english option), Contra 3, any of the two Castlevania's and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy(good luck finding that one though).
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We had a rental place in the town I went to college at that had a few import n64 games that they did the same thing to. It was kind of odd to have import cartridges at a podunk rental store in a small college town of 10,000 people since I didn't know one other person who was at all imports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sosuke Dhampir

hey thanks for all of the lists of games guys! I'll try to track some of these down.
    "Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Super Famicom Wars is a lotta fun. Even though the maps were mostly reused in the advance wars releases, there are some different units that add to the gameplay. (My favorite is the rail gun.)

If you are familiar with either of the first two advance wars (u.s. release), the mechanics and language of Super Famicom Wars are not a problem at all.

It is somewhat hard to find since it wasn't a real release in
    Japan - it was downloaded at shops to a super famicom memory cart.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sosuke Dhampir

I actually have a SNES game like that. I forget what it's called but i remember people said that if this game didn't happen then Advance wars wouldn't be around.
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

I actually have a SNES game like that. I forget what it's called but i remember people said that if this game didn't happen then Advance wars wouldn't be around.
    Might have been Super Conflict or War 2410. Although there was also a famicom wars which predated all of them.
    When I come home from a long day in Hell, there's nothing I'd rather reach for than a fire-brewed bottle of Styx Beer. Made from the filthiest waters from our own River Styx. Styx Beer is a third more toxic than any other regular beer. The worst beer - the filthiest beer - the deadliest beer. It's Styx Beer!

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    It is somewhat hard to find since it wasn't a real release in
    Japan - it was downloaded at shops to a super famicom memory cart.
    Yep, it took me a while to find a memory cart with it on actually...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sosuke Dhampir

Quote Originally Posted by Natty Bumppo View Post
    Might have been Super Conflict or War 2410. Although there was also a famicom wars which predated all of them.
    Yeah Super Conflict is it. Awesome game.
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Yeah Super Conflict is it. Awesome game.
    If you haven't played any of them, the nectaris games are pretty darn good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sosuke Dhampir

^^I'll have to check that out!
    -Mark Twain

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you own a lot of imports, that would be a pain in the ass! I broke the two tabs on the inside of a Game Genie, which now operates as a 'converter', simply because I didn't want to damage my model 2 snes in any way.

If you're into shmups and want something that's a little 'out there', I'd recommend Parodius. It's actually not a bad game, but unfortunately it may be a little expensive if you happen to come by it. Also, Super Dodge Ball is an awesome game to play, IF you can get through the piles of japanese menus. The first time I played it, I spent about 15 minutes just trying to get a simple two player game going, but it was worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

If your into strategy games like Conflict, Great Strategy Expert WWII may be up your ally. It's in Japanese but can be had for relativly cheap. Also, Bahamut Lagoon is great though unforgiving in it's language intensive menues. Still, if your stuborn and willing to force your way thru it, you'll find the game's very beautifull. You'll probly find yourself asking why Square never chose to release it as it truely was a beautifull game. Magic Knight Rayearth is also good as well as it's an RPG that should offer no real challenge as far as language if you've got a good walk-thru handy for any moment you dont know where your going. Syonen Ashibe is also a fun game. It's cute and simple and while lacking in difficulty, is all and all an enjoyable game that should be able to be found for cheap.