Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: The double- edged Wii – Economic Success and Game Quality

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    . . . and I'd like to think I'm above name calling (like, say, "ignorant fanboy"), but I've never met anyone on these boards as thoroughly intolerant and dismissive of opposing viewpoints as you are.
    If companies can make more money going after casual gamers, they aren't going to stop because it angers some inflexible old nerds on some message board.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

You know... I've enjoyed this thread, especially reading the back and forth between Rob2600 and Frankie_says_relax, and I'd like to think I'm above name calling (like, say, "ignorant fanboy"), but I've never met anyone on these boards as thoroughly intolerant and dismissive of opposing viewpoints as you are.

I don't think you'll ever be satisfied until everybody "corrects" their viewpoint to match yours. That'd require a detachment from reality that I'm not capable of without the aid of controlled substances and I have a feeling if this thread gets derailed any further than it already is it'll get locked, so I'll just leave it at that.
    Admittedly, this has been a tough thread to not just break down and say something easily regrettable at the end of the day.

But, like I've said about myself in the past ... as frustrated as I get about some companies and their decisions, I only ever try to make my message board ramblings constructively critical, and have them serve as a call for improvement.

IMO, This thread has so many respectable (albeit divergent) views on both sides of the Wiimote argument, that it was really tough to get into the discussion without directly opposing one while supporting another (or while coming up with a completely new one).

Though, I think when everything is said and done, the overall tone of the thread even in it's most heated segments still serve as being supportive of the Wii overall (in some cases through aggressively vocal constructive criticism), and most criticism at it's core is a cry for Nintendo to simply improve what they've started, not abandon it in favor of more traditional controls.

Dunno, that's how I sees it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey, we're all inflexible old (for the most part) nerds. We're still playing games that everybody else moved on from 20 years ago, after all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Chronogamer
    PSN
    Mekrabad

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Do you think that the supporters of the Wii remote in this thread are flexible gamers with limited experience or stubborn inflexible long-time gamers?
    Are those our only choices? There's a middle being excluded somewhere!

I'm a flexible gamer with long-time experience!

What I'm seeing in the Wii is an interesting control device, the full potential of which was realized with its pack-in game. As an entertaining device that sits under my TV, it's done its job for my family videogame time and for parties. That's really all I've asked of it and I've been satisfied. I AM a Wii supporter, and though I would call it the "Winner" of this generation of consoles, I wouldn't consider it the "Best", merely the "Best Deal for the Widest Range of People".

I do see that the imprecision would be either a problem in games asking too much of it (Under the Knife for instance. I haven't played it but I can only imagine it being very frustrating using the Wiimote) or an unnecessary tacked-on feature in games that don't really call for it. Sadly, Super Mario Galaxy fits that description. An awesome game, certainly, but I think it would even be better without the Wiimote.

So, if a game's use of the Wiimote is absolutely necessary for the game to be a good play then its use is innovative: Wii Sports is the obvious example. On the other hand, for something that just uses the feature because it's there, like Super Mario Galaxy, it's a gimmick. For an application that would really benifit from the type of control offered but fails because the control is not precise enough, like Under the knife, I presume, then it could be considered a liability. (I am Presuming here and admitting it! Someone let me know how this game handles on the Wii, please. Kay? Thx.)

So, judging by this thread, it sounds like very few games on the Wii, (other than Sports and Play) are using the Wiimote to its full potential by neither tacking it on nor trying to force it to do more than it can. However, it seems that even using it to its full potential will fall short of what'd we'd like to see it do, given it's imprecision.

What we're looking at here, is similar to the Eye-Toy if the Eye-Toy had come built in with every Playstation2 sold and every game was forced to use it to some extent.

The Eye-Toy was also fun at parties and my family also enjoyed it, but my problems with it (mostly having to do with the levels of light it needed to work properly) caused me to disconnect it and put it away. Innovative and fun, but ultimately a dissappointment.

So, that's my point: Wiimote ~ Eye-Toy. It's a gimmick that has done well only because it was included with the system and every game has to use it. If it was sold separately we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'd still think it might be fun to play Kaboom with the Wiimote. I hope that happens.
    Chronogamer. Every game. Chronologically.
    Latest entry 31 March 2010
    I have forgotten to feed my fish...

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hey, we're all inflexible old (for the most part) nerds. We're still playing games that everybody else moved on from 20 years ago, after all.
    Actually I see that attitude as the opposite of inflexible...we're still giving old games a chance AND playing new games.

Strawberry (Level 2) CartCollector's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The kinds of titles that should really take full advantage of the motion sensing seem not to exist yet. I'm waiting for interactive building games where you can move things around in 3 dimensions with the wiimote, like interactive legos, which will really create the sensation of "reaching inside the TV", like Nintendo originally claimed.
    Actually, there is someone working on a LEGO builder who wants to use Wii-like controls. It's for PC, though.
    The name's Link
    And I'm braver than brave
    I got a wooden sword from and old man in a cave

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You know... I've enjoyed this thread, especially reading the back and forth between Rob2600 and Frankie_says_relax, and I'd like to think I'm above name calling (like, say, "ignorant fanboy"), but I've never met anyone on these boards as thoroughly intolerant and dismissive of opposing viewpoints as you are.

I don't think you'll ever be satisfied until everybody "corrects" their viewpoint to match yours. That'd require a detachment from reality that I'm not capable of without the aid of controlled substances and I have a feeling if this thread gets derailed any further than it already is it'll get locked, so I'll just leave it at that.
    blueLander, when I said that you hit the fanboy and ignorant level, that was way too harsh and therfore not called for, and for that I apologize.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BurgerTrench

First off, I just got back from a weekend of snowboarding.

Related story: my ass really hurts.

I brought my Reggie as Bruce Lee Wii shirt and it made me think of this thread. I love that shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Ice View Post
    Actually I see that attitude as the opposite of inflexible...we're still giving old games a chance AND playing new games.
    God bless this site.

We've disagreed on some things in the past Kid Ice, but man if I don't think we're cut from the same cloth.

Sometimes I get a little discouraged around here with random posts harping on the "good 'ol days" of gaming and how modern gaming does nothing to improve the hobby. Despite how both of our sides disagree, good to know we can debate the merits of modern gaming without drawing empty comparisons to "classic" gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad
    I'd still think it might be fun to play Kaboom with the Wiimote. I hope that happens.
    WarioWare has several mini-games (and one of the "mega" games) that is essentially the same thing. I use it as an example of how the Wiimote can perform poorly.

To play, you lay the Wiimote perpendicular in your open palm and slide to the left and right to catch falling blocks. If (When) the sensor fails to recognize your spatial position, the platform you're controlling will immediately slide hard to the left or the right causing you to miss the falling objects. But I'd encourage you to pick up a copy to see how it works for yourself.

As far as forced "waggle" in Wii gaming goes, I see it fading very soon much like forced "scratching" on the DS. I've been playing Days of Ruin and, though it does offer some touch control, you can play (more successfully I might add) without using it at all. Smash Brothers Brawl is going to lead the way of getting the waggle out of the Wii. It's novel and it's gimmicky and it will certainly have its place in a few (some excellent) games; but we've seen that it doesn't belong in the entire library. Nintendo will see that soon too.
    "Be proud of what we make you do." - Master Shake, SGC2C - Baffler Meal
    Blog time!
    On Facebook

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

I'm tired of seeing this thread near the top of the modern gaming forum so I going to post this. If you don't like the Wii, fine, don't play it. If you like it, play it like its the last system you'll ever own.

This thread sucks.
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by djbeatmongrel View Post
    I'm tired of seeing this thread near the top of the modern gaming forum
    Then you shouldn't have posted in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I hope you're right. I haven't been burned by many Wii games, but Need For Speed Carbon is pretty much unplayable once you progress a little in the game because of the bad Wii controls. If they'd allowed for the use of the classic controller, it'd be a perfectly fine street racing game.

Quote Originally Posted by mezrabad View Post
    For an application that would really benifit from the type of control offered but fails because the control is not precise enough, like Under the knife, I presume, then it could be considered a liability. (I am Presuming here and admitting it! Someone let me know how this game handles on the Wii, please. Kay? Thx.)
    I don't have Under the Knife, but the control on Second Opinion is solid. I just didn't get into the game because of the dumb story and the anime-style graphics and got bored pretty quickly with it.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't like the Wii, fine, don't play it. If you like it, play it like its the last system you'll ever own.
    This is childish nonsense. That means everything we play we have to like and produce positive reviews. Just read the excellent review section of this site, and if a game gets a bad review feel free to post the comment: if you don't like the game, fine, don't play it.

This is a site where gamers talk about various aspects of games and consoles, past and present. Among them the quality of games and consoles, and aspects of the industry.

The Wii is THE surprise of 2007, Nintendo is certainly the comeback kid of 2007, the Wii controller is a unique controller going mainstream, and the Wii broadened the demographics of gamers like no game system before. Do you think this is unimportant?

This thread sucks.
    This is as enlightening as your estimation of the Wii. I go down to your level of your first sentence: if you don't like the thread, fine, don't read it. If you like it, read it like it's the last thread you'll ever read.

I'm afraid the last two sentences make sense to you.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-18-2008 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

I'm not going to bother quoting you but my only reason in my post was to point out that this thread is at the point where everyone is rehashing the same things over and over and again. Its past the point of an enlightened conversation and is now at thepoint where everyone should agree to disagree on tha mtter because its not like anyones opinions going to budge until some major shift in the market comes about.

I'm out.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not going to bother quoting you but my only reason in my post was to point out that this thread is at the point where everyone is rehashing the same things over and over and again. Its past the point of an enlightened conversation and is now at thepoint where everyone should agree to disagree on tha mtter because its not like anyones opinions going to budge until some major shift in the market comes about.

I'm out.
    In this case...it would have made more sense to let the thread die a natural death and give it a respectful funeral instead of posting nonsense.

The sentence "This thread sucks" isn't only w/o substance, it is counterproductive. It bumps the thread, and the provoked responses bump it again.
    Last edited by lendelin; 02-18-2008 at 07:53 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) John_Madden's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In order to play games you have to have the controller in your hand.

Insert Coin (Level 0) MR.TI994A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm tired of seeing this thread near the top of the modern gaming forum so I going to post this. If you don't like the Wii, fine, don't play it. If you like it, play it like its the last system you'll ever own.

This thread sucks.
    Your statement ("I'm tired of seeing this thread near the top of the modern gaming forum") in relationship to your action (of bumping the thread to the top by responding) reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes...

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    Oh the irony.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The only thing Nintendo hasnt done well is gotten the next Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy or Super Robot Wars on the Wii.

Remember, the best system is not always what wins.

VHS beat Beta
    NES beat Master system
    Genesis in some places beat SNES
    PSX beat everything
    and so on.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Volcanon View Post
    The only thing Nintendo hasnt done well is gotten the next Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy or Super Robot Wars on the Wii.

Remember, the best system is not always what wins.

VHS beat Beta
    NES beat Master system
    Genesis in some places beat SNES
    PSX beat everything
    and so on.
    First, this isn't the main focus of the thread. The central question was the gamequality of the Wii independently of the state of its competitors.

Second, this is an old argument. While there is no doubt at all that technoligical power is only one factor among others for the economic success of a console, it doesn't apply to the Wii and the PS3 and the 360.

The Master System wasn't 5 years behind the NES
    The SNES wasn't 5years behind the Genesis
    The PSX wasn't 5 years behind the N64 and Saturn
    and so on.

...they were roughly in the same ballpark. The Wii is the first mainstream console which is technologically clearly inferior and was even marketed as such, a novelty in game history.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Default Sage

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    The sentence "This thread sucks" isn't only w/o substance, it is counterproductive. It bumps the thread, and the provoked responses bump it again.
    Next time I'll PM you abuout your thread perpetually sucking ok? Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MR.TI994A View Post
    Your statement ("I'm tired of seeing this thread near the top of the modern gaming forum") in relationship to your action (of bumping the thread to the top by responding) reminded me of one of my favorite movie quotes...

Oh the irony.
    And to rectify the problem of bumping this thread i'll do a little somethintg I learned recently to fix that problem:

SAGE goes in every field

Insert Coin (Level 0) MR.TI994A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Next time I'll PM you abuout your thread perpetually sucking ok? Get over it.
    How about getting over yourself and let it be?

If you don't like a thread, move along and be on your way. It's not like we need to know whether or not this thread is "djbeatmongrel approved". This thread was moving along quite finely until you dropped in and contributed absolutely nothing other than reveal to us your lack of intelligence and tolerance.