Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Default Random Game O' the Day: Earthworm Jim

The DP Guide Generator Of Extreme Randomness (tm) chose "Earthworm Jim 3D" for N64 today, I thought I'd expand to the whole series just because I'm wild crazy mad like that.

So what's your impression of the whole Earthworm Jim saga? How does it rate as a platform series in your eyes? Should the series continue or is it better off where it is right now? Which version did you like the best? Which individual stage did you like the best? Did the bizarre characters "do anything" for you? Write your own mini-review here!

DP Guide sez:

Earthworm Jim (Game Boy, by Playmates) $0/R0

Earthworm Jim Menace 2 the Galaxy (Game Boy Color, by Crave) $0/R0
    Developed by David A Palmer Productions. Game Boy black & white compatible. #DMG-AEBE-USA.

Earthworm Jim (Game Gear, by Playmates) $/R
    Developed by Shiny. Released 1995.

Earthworm Jim (Genesis, by Playmates) $7/R2 +
    Developed by Shiny. Released 1994. #2200.

Earthworm Jim 2 (Genesis, by Playmates) $10/R3
    Developed by Shiny.

Earthworm Jim 3D (N64, by Rockstar) $23/R5
    Released 10/28/99.

Earthworm Jim 2: Special Edition (Saturn, by Playmates) $5/R2
    Developed by Shiny. Released 1996. #T-13203H.

Earthworm Jim Special Edition (Sega CD, by Playmates) $20/R4
    Developed by Shiny.

Earthworm Jim (Sega Master System, by TecToy) $0/R0
    A direct port of the Gamegear game.

Earthworm Jim (SNES, by Playmates) $3/R1 +
    Released 1994. #SNS-AEJE-USA.

Earthworm Jim 2 (SNES, by Playmates) $6/R2
    Released 1995. #SNS-A2EE-USA.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthworm Jim for the SNES.. the first game to include a "rendered" lens flare. I haven't played 1-2 in a while so levels/things about them have all mixed together as they are both pretty close to each other.

As platformers go the first 2 games had a lot going for them. Interesting mini-games like riding a rocket in space or bouncing puppies or even bungie jumping. My favorite was the granny's dropping get up the stairs bit. Get a granny in your lap and she says "Fresh!" and you start over.. to funny. The music was great to, like the hell level where it starts with escape from witch mountain type music but goes into a musac somba.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Sniderman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually the "Heck" level with Evil The Cat switches over to elevator music - pure musical hell/genius.

Loved the game. Lots of stuff to do in a platformer (run, shoot, bungee jump, fly, puzzle solving, etc.) and a bizarre storyline that was funny and fun. Great sound, and COWS!

I have an EWJ and Psy-Crow (one of my favorite videogame villians) action figure on my desk at work.
    Still Around...Still Gamin'...

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

The evil lawyers in Heck were a nice touch too. ^_^

Anyone remember the short-lived EW cartoon?
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Eh, I never really saw what the big deal was about these games. The first one was fun for a while, but I got bored with it fast, and never bothered with the other. The 3-D one looks terrible, but I've never played it.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Earthworm Jim was David Perry's peak as a designer/programmer, not least of which because he was working with the absurdly talented artist Doug TenNapel. Neither man was the same after their post-EWJ split; Perry made a series of increasingly hateful and violent games at Shiny (MDK, Wild 9, Messiah), while TenNapel made a series of aesthetically lovely but painfully quirky games at The Neverhood (Boombots, Skullmonkeys). I'd love to see them work together again, and I heard a rumor to that effect about six months ago, but nothing more since.

Enter the Matrix will be huge for Shiny, but thanks to the license and the considerable involvement of the Wachowski Brothers (writer/directors of the movies), not Perry's game design.

-- Z.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My liking of this game was tempered by my hatred of Dave Perry. It was so enjoyable to see game after game of his BOMB after all his massive work to hype up every game in interview after interview. Is there anyone in the industry with a bigger ego than him? I like how they still say on all their boxes,"from the creators of EW Jim". That was ages ago and they're still trying to ride that games success. Of course it's never, "from the creators of Wild 9".

I can't believe they let Shiny have the rights to make a Matrix game. They must've really bought all of Dave Perry's hype about how great he is. Didn't this game originally have to do with the first movie and now they've had to change it to do with the sequel because it's been delayed so much. At this rate it should be released by 2007.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the first time i played earthworm jim was in a 6 pack of boring and stupid windows 95 games, except earthworm jim caught my eye. It was very fun, and had a good humor to it. I later bought Earthwom Jim for Sega Genesis and SNES. fun game. i like it. i have never played the 64 version tho.
    Somebody once told me to get a life.

I told them I sold it for money to buy video games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the N64 version is no Banjo-Kazooie..
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zaxxon
    My liking of this game was tempered by my hatred of Dave Perry. It was so enjoyable to see game after game of his BOMB after all his massive work to hype up every game in interview after interview. Is there anyone in the industry with a bigger ego than him? I like how they still say on all their boxes,"from the creators of EW Jim". That was ages ago and they're still trying to ride that games success. Of course it's never, "from the creators of Wild 9".

I can't believe they let Shiny have the rights to make a Matrix game. They must've really bought all of Dave Perry's hype about how great he is. Didn't this game originally have to do with the first movie and now they've had to change it to do with the sequel because it's been delayed so much. At this rate it should be released by 2007.
    Yep, it's both amusing and embarrassing that Perry has coasted on the success of EWJ for a decade now, especially as it was only half his; TenNapel created the character and contributed the goofiness that made the game so charming. Perry's games sans TenNapel are filled with sadism and violence, and entirely lacking in humor.

As Perry tells it, he passed on the chance to do a tie-in game of The Matrix, realized his error, and jumped on the opportunity to create a game based on the sequels. Thuis, Enter the Matrix wasn't originally based on the first flick. Shiny says the game is shipping simultaneously with the release of The Matrix Reloaded, and there's no reason to doubt them at this point; they know they're screwed if they don't.

-- Z.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zmeston
    Shiny says the game is shipping simultaneously with the release of The Matrix Reloaded, and there's no reason to doubt them at this point; they know they're screwed if they don't.
    Oh they'll probably ship it on time, bugs and all, just like Messiah.

>Zaxxon has a flashback to Dave Perry's shirtless photo in Next Gen< *shudders*

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Come on yinz guys, the world needs arrogant people too!

Earthworm Jim -- years ago I proclaimed it (Genesis version) the greatest platformer I'd ever played. I appreciated it's challenge, uniqueness, and loads of personality. It was one of the few games where I bothered to beat it on Hard. I also owned EJ CD for Sega CD -- it had interesting remixed levels that would sometimes load at half-way points through the level (not a bad thing, just made the level twice as big). The Sega CD version also had surprisingly brief load times overall, plus the Big Bruty extra level which was cool.

*Cafeman curses the day he sold his Sega CD AGAIN* Oh well I like the Genny version better anyway.

I feel none of the hate towards David Perry. I've corresponded with him a few times via emails, plus read all the various mag reviews and interviews you have. I think he's quite entertaining. Too bad his games haven't been as good as EWJ. In fact, many have said MDK2 is better than Shiny's original MDK. Wild 9's didn't really have much affect on me. I bet a good hungry GBA team could make us a new 2D Jim.

A while ago I was thinking about this same line of thought. Perry's strengths were always in coding. Just check out his Virgin label engines -- check out Cool Spot for example. It was Perry's games that led the way to cartoon-quality animation on the 16-bit Genesis. He knew his 68000 ASM coding.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cafeman
    Come on yinz guys, the world needs arrogant people too!

Earthworm Jim -- years ago I proclaimed it (Genesis version) the greatest platformer I'd ever played. I appreciated it's challenge, uniqueness, and loads of personality. It was one of the few games where I bothered to beat it on Hard. I also owned EJ CD for Sega CD -- it had interesting remixed levels that would sometimes load at half-way points through the level (not a bad thing, just made the level twice as big). The Sega CD version also had surprisingly brief load times overall, plus the Big Bruty extra level which was cool.

*Cafeman curses the day he sold his Sega CD AGAIN* Oh well I like the Genny version better anyway.

I feel none of the hate towards David Perry. I've corresponded with him a few times via emails, plus read all the various mag reviews and interviews you have. I think he's quite entertaining. Too bad his games haven't been as good as EWJ. In fact, many have said MDK2 is better than Shiny's original MDK. Wild 9's didn't really have much affect on me. I bet a good hungry GBA team could make us a new 2D Jim.

A while ago I was thinking about this same line of thought. Perry's strengths were always in coding. Just check out his Virgin label engines -- check out Cool Spot for example. It was Perry's games that led the way to cartoon-quality animation on the 16-bit Genesis. He knew his 68000 ASM coding.
    You're absolutely right about Perry's strengths, and there's no disputing his formidable programming abilities. There was just a certain Beatlesque chemistry between him, TenNapel, and musician Tommy Tallarico that made EWJ wonderfully unique.

Perry's 'tude would be charming if he had the resume to back it up, but he's been getting by on his good looks and great interviews for a decade and counting, and hardcore gamers can see right through that. Tommy T also invokes the ire of many gamers, but his act is an attention-getting put-on; he's really a very nice, very humble fellow who loves games and writes amazing music. Perhaps Perry is also putting up a false front, as you say your email exchanges with him were pleasant, but I sense otherwise.

-- Z.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Note to Joe: Earthworm Jim was also released for the GBA in 2001.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone else have that EWJ or is it EWJ 2 game for Saturn? I tried playing it before and it was all flaky. The foreground wouldn't scroll properly with the backgrounds(parallax) and would just hang there. Is it a buggy game or is it just my copy? I can't believe they would release it like this but maybe they (Playmates) did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Zaxxon, only Earthworm Jim 2 was released for Saturn, and I own it. There are no buggy scrolling issues in my copy. IN stark contrast, the background parallax layers are gorgeous IMHO.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Most people don't feel this way, but I actually preferred Earthworm Jim 2 to the original. It's not only more fun, it's funnier as well. The game show where all of the answers completely defy logic leaves me rolling on the floor.
    It's interesting that Zach would classify Dave Perry's solo work as dark and brooding, because it wasn't anything like that *before* Dave and Doug teamed up. You remember all the other games Dave Perry made before he paired up with Doug TenNapel, right? Cool Spot, Aladdin, and the first McDonald's game on the Genesis were all lighthearted and cartoony. Even MDK2 had a lot of humorous touches, even though it was definitely more violent than Dave's early work.
    My problem with Dave- aside from his self-inflated image- is that much of his work is very predictable. Everything from Global Gladiators to Earthworm Jim all use the same engine, which feel like Sonic the Hedgehog with weapons. What also bothered me was that much more deserving games, particularly Gunstar Heroes, were ignored by the video game press, which instead embraced Dave Perry's latest work (even though it was just like Dave Perry's last game, and the game before that).
    Good topic, Joe. This daily game discussion was a fantastic idea.

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

And don't forget the disaster that was Messiah.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Perry put some humor into MDK and Wild 9, 'Neko, but if was more sadistic in tone than the marvelous nonsense of Earthworm Jim. He also seemed to overestimate the success of his games; Shiny was actually developing a Wild 9 cartoon alongside the game. Suffice to say, the former never showed up.

Question: Did Shiny make MDK 2? I thought it was developed by Bioware.

Oh yeah, Earthworm Jim . . . fun game. The variety of levels isn't quite as impressive now, but it's still amusing. I somehow like the first one better than the sequel, perhaps on account of EWJ 2's stage with the hamburgers and bacon platforms. I never liked that.

And Doug TenNapel's been up to some interesting stuff, if his website is any indication.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ManekiNeko
    It's interesting that Zach would classify Dave Perry's solo work as dark and brooding, because it wasn't anything like that *before* Dave and Doug teamed up. You remember all the other games Dave Perry made before he paired up with Doug TenNapel, right? Cool Spot, Aladdin, and the first McDonald's game on the Genesis were all lighthearted and cartoony. Even MDK2 had a lot of humorous touches, even though it was definitely more violent than Dave's early work.
    My problem with Dave- aside from his self-inflated image- is that much of his work is very predictable. Everything from Global Gladiators to Earthworm Jim all use the same engine, which feel like Sonic the Hedgehog with weapons. What also bothered me was that much more deserving games, particularly Gunstar Heroes, were ignored by the video game press, which instead embraced Dave Perry's latest work (even though it was just like Dave Perry's last game, and the game before that).

JR
    Yep, I remember Perry's Virgin output of happy-joy licensed games, but they were required by the very nature of the licenses to be lighthearted and cartoony. It's when Perry turned to original game designs, post-TenNapel, that he got mean and nasty. Maybe it was a natural inclination for him to do so after the forced cheer of the Virgin era. Hell, even Robin Williams feels the need to explore his dark side (and I admit I'd much rather see him in "Insomnia" than "Patch Adams").

Was Perry involved in any meaningful way with MDK2? I thought his participation was limited to looking at beta versions and saying "that's cool" or "that sucks," as with Earthworm Jim 3D.

-- Z.