Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MMOs--am i missing something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation MMOs--am i missing something?

This topic may be discussed about and if so i'd love to read more on it. MMOs just aren't for me. Im sorry, but games like these in the RPG vein need endings. Not only that, but ive tried Everquest 2 and WoW. I just cant get into them, but everyone i know into PC gaming (or gaming in general) adores this and calls me out just because i dont devote my life to it or "dont get it." I dont want this to be senseless bashing without a cause, but i really dont understand the appeal in MMORPGs. I was at my brothers and saw 4 guest computers with 4 people playing the game all day and several all night, sometimes my bro's roomate calls out just to play it more, and ive seen this happen many times.

I mean everyone who plays this acts like its the best most addicting game/hobby/experience ever and always ask me the same question "when you gettin on (mmo of choice) and playin?"

Can someone explain to me what the real deal is here? Are people playing this game for hours and hours true gamers or is this like the new in thing to do like Guitar Hero?(which is actually fun). I would be willing to try an MMO again but i dont have the connection nor the time at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually a lot of MMORPGs have endings just there are a billion side-quests and areas to explore it'll take thousands of hours to cover a sliver of it. Also difficulties on some can be changed and the added bonus of PvP instead of the usual PvM environment.

I personally only log into Guild Wars once every month or so to just wonder around and complete a few side-quests. I've pured just over 200hrs into the adventure but other games tend to take my interest more, Quake, Unreal, SimCity... Yeah it goes on. Understand your point but it's just where a good chuck of the PC gamers are at.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The ending is when you cancel your subscription. That is, unless you get sucked back in and start playing again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Half Japanese
    PSN
    HalfJapanese

I'm with ya. It may sound stereotypical, but I fear the commitment games like that tend to create. I had a few lazy summers in high school, and while it's great fun for two and a half months, I couldn't imagine living that lifestyle without seriously contemplating suicide. That sounds really unfair, as there are those that can balance time spent between the two 'worlds' and still be functional, but it seems like it would at the very least put a drain on your free time. I also have a habitually short attention span, meaning I'll often put a game away unfinished and move on to the next, especially if I feel like I'm wasting time and/or not getting any enjoyment out of it. I do the same thing with books, movies, TV series, etc.

On the other hand, there's the monthly fee. If I paid $50 for a game, I would expect to be able to play it online for free. I realize that this infrastructure is time-tested and not likely to go away any time soon, but to me they're equivalent to commercials: it's amazing they were put up with in the first place.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Quote Originally Posted by rkotm View Post
    I was at my brothers and saw 4 guest computers with 4 people playing the game all day and several all night, sometimes my bro's roomate calls out just to play it more, and ive seen this happen many times.

Can someone explain to me what the real deal is here? Are people playing this game for hours and hours true gamers or is this like the new in thing to do like Guitar Hero?(which is actually fun). I would be willing to try an MMO again but i dont have the connection nor the time at the moment.
    Yeah, my brother does this too...and I don't get it. It will be him and 4 other people woth thier computers. Frigging annoying having to deal with all these people.

I totally agree with you, I think they are the worst type of game. All a player does is just gain experience in most cases. Way too much time and effort in a single game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Well, I got WoW on launch day, got to level 60, got all the high end gear, etc. etc., then quit after 7 months. During that time, I accrued a 30 day /play time (meaning, I logged 30 days' worth into the game), which is, very sadly, nothing compared to what some people in my guild did (one person had 90 days, and had had the game less time than I had).

All that said, I can honestly say I never want to touch another MMORPG again. Looking back, I really don't know what drew me into the game so much. Each individual part, taken on itself, is nothing special. But adding everything together, the experience is (to sound a bit cliched) more than the sum of its parts.

I only stopped playing when I realized that I was logging in, 5 hours a night, to do yet another pointless raid that I had no story background for being in, for the possible chance of maybe getting a new item, only so that I would be infinitesimally more powerful, so I could go a tiny bit further, and maybe get a chance to possibly get the next item that would make me just a teensy bit more powerful.

When you're leveling up in the game, doing side quests, having fun with friends, the game is great. End-game, though, it pretty much sucks. Hopefully, things have changed, with Burning Crusade. I, for one, plan on never finding out first-hand whether this is so.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's the same formula as Diablo... get stronger > kill stronger monsters > get better gear > get stronger > kill stronger monsters. It's an endless loop that can be very very addicting. Also, the potential for addiction is increased ten-fold by the social aspect of the game.

I've sworn off them, though, now that I've got a job, family, house... in short, a life Nothing against those still playing, but playing an MMO is a huge commitment, and these days I'd rather be making progress in a game with a concrete end where I can set it aside and say "Boy, THAT was satisfying"

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

I don't get it either but I've never really cared for pc gaming in general. My brother loves pc gaming though more than console gaming (complete opposite of me) on top of that he primarily plays mmos. I think its kinda unhealthy though I mean I'm into gaming but this shit can seriously be addicting and draining on the wallet. His life would be far better without it imo and I just can't get into them.

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

I don't think your view is a bad one to have. MMOs are a very love-or-hate genre. If you actually *want* to get into the genre, try PSO. I'm not a huge fan of MMOs but PSO tends to bridge the gap between full fledged MMO and console RPG, at least to some degree. PSU however I found damn boring, probably because there was literally nothing to do in the game early on.

PSO tecnically only has like 4 "levels" without the extra episodes, but they randomize a bit and there are quests that change how you play etc. It also greatly is designed for 2-4 player teams, and without friends to team up with no MMO is fun very long. PSO is ok by yourself, and the missions give you NPC teammates, but it is of course best played online.

My personal suggestion is PC version using the unofficial servers and a gamepad (xbox/360 works great). PC is also the only way to play episode 4 content. Full name of the game is Phantasy Star Online.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuyukaze008

Try one of the free MMOs if you can. For the most part I hate them as they tend to suck two very valuable things up. Time and Money. True, the free games arnt as fun as the money games but at the very least you'll get an idea why they are so popular.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you don't get MMOs, BE GLAD. Don't try to get it!

I get it. Oh, I definitely get it. They're evil and addicting games. They will suck away the best years of your life. It will drive a rift between you and your loved ones. It will make you unhealthy. It will keep you from enjoying the outside world. Don't try to understand it. Instead, just continue to enjoy normal video games, that don't require such a huge investment of time. Games that you can put down when you want. Those are good. Oh, and normal video games don't have a monthly fee either. I mean, Guild Wars doesn't charge monthly, but you know what I mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I've never really been a big fan of MMOs, the only one I ever go really into was when Ragnarok was in Beta. Of course my addiction quickly died out when the servers were updated and I lost my character right when it was about to become a Knight, so that was the end of that.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

Banana (Level 7) kaedesdisciple's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JOEY BLACKOUTS
    PSN
    JOEY_BLACKOUTS

Amen. I grew to hate MMO's after star wars galaxies and I loved PSO. Did it the same way you mentioned, too. I still have my PC CD lying around here somewhere. Those unofficial servers were great fun and not TOO addicting.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryomancer View Post
    I don't think your view is a bad one to have. MMOs are a very love-or-hate genre. If you actually *want* to get into the genre, try PSO. I'm not a huge fan of MMOs but PSO tends to bridge the gap between full fledged MMO and console RPG, at least to some degree. PSU however I found damn boring, probably because there was literally nothing to do in the game early on.

PSO tecnically only has like 4 "levels" without the extra episodes, but they randomize a bit and there are quests that change how you play etc. It also greatly is designed for 2-4 player teams, and without friends to team up with no MMO is fun very long. PSO is ok by yourself, and the missions give you NPC teammates, but it is of course best played online.

My personal suggestion is PC version using the unofficial servers and a gamepad (xbox/360 works great). PC is also the only way to play episode 4 content. Full name of the game is Phantasy Star Online.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    geneshifter

You are not alone. I tried to play WOW with friends a few months back and just couldn't stick with it. It's a neat game but not worth paying a monthly fee to play. I doubt any game on any platform will ever be worth that to me.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

yes, youre missing something. and no, no one can explain it to you. there is no need to be sorry, and there is no need to make a useless thread about it. its not for you, great, move on.

-end-

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Steam
    calthaer

You are missing nothing - don't waste your time or life on those games. They suck people in and then keep them hooked with the typical carrot-on-a-stick routines.

Get a game that you can enjoy with a few close real-life friends and play coop instead.
    You are startled by a grim snarl. Before you, you see 1 Red dragon. Will your stalwart band choose to (F)ight or (R)un?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I sort of see the point in them, but they're realy not my type of game. I don't have that much time to devote in such large chunks to playing a single game.

One of my mates is well into WoW; one of his characters is level 64. He'll come in from work, place his ass in the 'Throne of Warcraft' in his front room and that's it for the night. He's got a fridge next to the ToW full of beers. While the PC is booting he'll crack open a beer, skin up a joint and then go of running round Warcraft land for the rest of the night. I'm still amazed his missus hasn't left him. It's been very, very close at times. And for what? A magic sword or suit of armour that doesn't even exist... Hmmm....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I spent probably close to two years playing WOW to the exclusion of every other game. I would spend all day at work planning what I wanted to do in-game when I got home. Most of my free time outside of work and family activities that I "had" to do was spent either playing or researching for the next time I could get on. I haven't played since October but I haven't cancelled my account either.

I've played RPG's and consoles since the early 90's and never thought I would enjoy playing online with any game. There was no need to. But with WOW there was such a rush when a group of us would down a monster or complete a really hard dungeon. My guild really had some great people in it that I actually enjoyed talking to. I came to enjoy the social aspect so much that now I seek out online play with other games.

Getting a 360 for the holidays helped pull me away from WOW. Also, as stated earlier, once I maxed out one toon at 70 I ran out of quests and didn't really have the time to invest in dungeon crawling for the really good items. Then I started a different toon and got to maybe 40 and wondered why I was really doing this again and did I really want to spend another 50+ DAYS of playing time to eventually run out of things to do.

I think if I was a single guy with no social life I would probably still be playing.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default The math of MMO's

I just wanted to add a mathematical point to all those opposed to the idea of a monthly fee.

For example World of Warcraft...I pay by credit card in 3 month segments for $41.36. That boils down to about $0.46 a day. Technically, you could spend up to 24 hours of the day (not recommended!) and still experience new entertainment content.

A console game, for example, Half Life 2...great game, yes. About 10-12 hours to completion (on average) for a launch price of $69.99 CAD. Therefore, your entertainment is valued at $5.83-$6.99 per hour. And I know all the naysayers will be touting "But I play it again!" Ok. sure! You would need to beat Half Life 2 approximately 35 times to equivalate the value of said MMO's one month fee.

Ok, well what then of Guild Wars..the supposed 'free' MMO? Since it's launch, there has been the original game, as well as 3 paid expansion packs spanning a time frame between the end of April 2005, and end of August 2007. As well as a bonus mission pack. A total of 27 months. These all launched at Canadian retail at $59.99. ($9.99 for the mission pack). You are still paying approximately $0.31 per day to play this 'free' title.

So in my conclusion, you could pay $50 or whatever for a new release that you beat in ten hours, or you could continually pay a small fee for a game that you can continue to play. The latter is my choice, and the reason that I purchase very few new console games anymore. They just don't seem to be worth it for me anymore.

/end rant

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now don't get me wrong, these types of games *can be* and *are* very addictive to some people. I'm not saying that everyone should give up console gaming for good and plunk down in front of Everquest day in and day out. The problem is, is that they supply a false sense of acheivement and accomplishment for people who have no real progression in their lives. And for some, that can be a very alluring thing.