Thread: Not my collection, but a question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Not my collection, but a question

This dude on ebay from the UK is begging me to ship to him. I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to international shipping and wondering if I should be cautious with him. He's really eager and I've already told him no once. Though, if it gets more bids, I would consider it.

Does anyone know if this sounds like a potential scam or something. I've never had this happen and relatively new to ebay. Your input is appreciated, Thanks!!!
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Chaos Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mayhem64

Well like any potential bidder, consult his feedback. See what else he has been bidding on. If he seems on the straight and level, then he probably will be.

One other consideration, ask him if he has a confirmed address in Paypal. Now the UK happens to be one of the few non-US countries where this is possible, so that would also give you peace of mind. If anything what are you selling? How much extra will it cost to ship and is it worth risking going AWOL in the mail (not that anything usually does between the US and UK). That sort of thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    If anything what are you selling? How much extra will it cost to ship and is it worth risking going AWOL in the mail (not that anything usually does between the US and UK). That sort of thing.
    It's a game.com. And he's bought A LOT of mega drive stuff and girls' jeans..

Since he's bought a lot of game stuff before I should be able to trust him. And he only has one negative and it was over a year ago.
    Last edited by Atari 5200; 02-14-2008 at 09:43 AM.
    Tea is for terrorists-Leo Laporte

Klingons Invented Saran Wrap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

I'd ship it , he has the feeback, the game buying history, and hey if its going to up the bid then why not? I been shipping oversea's for years now, your just as likely to get scammed by someone in the same state, as you are to when they are in other parts of the world
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ship it, but make sure you can send via some sort of registered mail or through someone in which tracking is available (UPS Global) and just inform him that the shipping for international will most likely be more expensive. As long as he is willing to pay it, and you ship it the correct way, I see no problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

How do people shipping overseas deal with this...

"UK Customs-
    UK duties, taxes and brokerage fees on items shipped to the UK are established by UK Customs. Customs Duty is charged on the purchase price of the goods and can be as high as 30% of the total purchase price. Most goods arriving in the UK from outside the EU are liable to any or all of these charges: Customs Duty; Excise Duty, Import V.A.T charges, Brokerage Surcharges."

I know you can check "gift" or "sample" on the customs papers to get around it but is that legal for something you sold to someone?

Just thought the OP'er would like to know about this.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The problem with downgrading the value of an item on a customs form, as that if it *does* get lost, your postal service will only reimburse you for what you claimed it was worth. Just something to keep in mind

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSmurfette View Post
    The problem with downgrading the value of an item on a customs form, as that if it *does* get lost, your postal service will only reimburse you for what you claimed it was worth. Just something to keep in mind
    Yes that sucks but if apackage is insured even for low value chances of getting rid are quite small. I always try to find sellers which send as gift and state clearly i take the risk for lost in mail accidents.

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I agree... ship it. Click and Ship makes it easy for USPS and he will get a great deal since the British Pound is valued at $2.00 right now. So its really only half the price for him.

Thats the thing to consider really, if they want it and are willing to pay shipping go for it. cover yourself with insurance and delivery confirmation and you are good to go. The only think I would recommend, is pack it well. Secure it the best you can and have at a minimum 2" of packing material around all sides. US - UK is a long journey!
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior Jasen View Post
    UK is a long journey!
    This is true. I shipped overseas once and the person moved before it got there(about a month later) so eventually it was sent it back to me. But in that time I had moved. The round trip in the gentle care of the post office was probally about 6 months. At that time I'm guessing we had both forgot about it. When I saw the beat up package on my porch my first thought was "Oooh...someone sent me something!" Then I saw what it was and had one of those "Heeey...waaait a minute" moments.

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just a follow up too. I live in Italy, stationed here via the US Navy. I am afforded the luxury, yes luxury, to use the USPS here with no extra fees or charges. Just standard shipping costs like it was coming from New York to its final desitnation. I sent something to France from here, using Express Mail Service (EMS), and it took only a week and a half. That means it went from Naples Italy to New York to Paris. It arrived perfectly. Granted I over packed (bc i save ALL my old packing materials that are sent to me), but it was perfect none the less.
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.