Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can we please remove bingo from the "offical release" RCA Studio II library

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I'm inclined to believe that's the proper explanation. End of life cycle, limited production run for an already unpopular and low-production system.

Really, how much Studio II stuff is still floating around? Odds are a good chunk was tossed out by people who didn't care, or liquidated. Add that to a small production run, and it's a wonder any copy of complete Bingo exists.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

just reading this interesting thread and thought i should note a little about the space hulk.

I found at a flea market in Eugene OR sometime in the Winter of 2003 or 2004 (can't recall). kevincure thought it was "just a little harder to find" than the jewel case space hulk, so I tossed it up on ebay.

Brinn1 won it for like 23 bucks or something.
    and....
    he just recently sold it on ebay.

THAT is the only Space Hulk long box out there, and as far as i'm concerned, it most likely is the only one.

Springfield, Oregon at the time of the Playstation one, was home to one of the Sony Disc Manufacturing plants. Springfield is right next to Eugene (where said game was found). What i 'm thinking is possibly an employee or someone made up an extra disc and took a mock up box along with them to house the game and it some how ended up at the local flea market. Not sure though... it's just my theory on it now.

I talked with a guy who used to work there and he told me employees had no special privileges for getting free games or anything like that, thus why i am speculating that there was an extra disc sitting around and someone just grabbed it and found one of those boxes at Sony and kept it. But as it is, being that they couldn't get free games, Eugene/Springfield really is a mecca for PS1 goodness.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bit of a bump from the dead, but this thread was among those that inspired the ongoing Studio II thread over at AtariAge:

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209...ction-manager/

...and I wanted to post a few updates on what is currently known and/or reasoned about the US Bingo:

1) It was programmed here in the US, by Andy Modla. He confirmed this, but did not know if it received a US release.

2) The overseas version, as with most all of the other overseas versions of US games, is certainly identical to it's American counterpart as a ROM, yet not in terms of packaging. Foreign copies do not include the extra tokens and cards seen in the US copy at PC2K1, and the manual for at least one of the overseas Bingo releases makes no mention of any such extra materials.

3) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZEsXrE3Z4 It was intended to be among the games for the unreleased Studio III tech that seems to have become the basis of the various overseas clones. Notice the color in the video.

4) Gameplay of the US version was recallled by a previous poster as being little more than displaying Bingo numbers, which matches the gameplay footage of the foreign version above. Also, the US version likely had the same ability to play the Bingo tune in an example of some very early sound effects.

5) IT WAS LIKELY NOT A RETAIL RELEASE, AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS SUCH. I feel that swvolinist is correct in his assertion that it should be removed from the lists of official US releases. Having been looking into this for some time now and having talked to several folks from back in the day, it seems that any US versions, or simply just a single US version, were part of a very small test-run that RCA would have produced at their Deptford, NJ locations but which never saw a full production run along with all of the other, confirmed US releases down at the plant in Swannanoa, NC where all of the systems and games were made. It was programmed, it was certainly intended for US release, a pre-production test run of very very few copies was almost certainly produced, but Bingo itself was never made in anything close to large numbers and never actually saw a US retail release for whatever reasons. As such, it should not be considered part of a full US set as nobody would have had a chance to actually purchase it during the retail lifespan of the Studio II.