Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Avgn update,mike will be leaving and now nobody is left from the old crew.Fine that rental reviews are ending i never cared for it anyways id rather watch red letter media over it.
    Out of the old crew, being James and Mike, Mike just left so there's just James left. I guess that's the whole crew gone, all one of them. Seriously, who else was there in any regular capacity?

I forgot that the series was called Rental Reviews but that's what I was referring to.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Also, the penis thing was a brief one-time likely drunk moment 3 years ago which he basically erased as well he could.
    "I'm Gonna Do What's Called a ProJared Move."

For anyone unfamiliar with ProJared feel free to look him up, I'm pretty sure most people are well aware of what this youtube reviewer did a few years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    James is the only stand-up person among the people he associates with in his videos.
    James comes across that way, but he's pretty close in mindset to the people he associates with. Just look at any of his early videos, basically full of swearing, fake diarrhea repeatedly on various games and guest characters, Shit Pickle, Wizard of Oz 3: Dorothy Goes to Hell, Mecha Christ, Munky Cheez, etc. It's really the same style of humour. And I still remember him shilling the new Action 52 game from a few years ago which was another controversy.

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    ok I just read an apology which appears to be written by him... and honestly it just really tells you where his head is at. he basically said "if anyone is offended by this, I apologize." that's like pooping in the middle of the street, getting up, then afterwards saying, "if anyone was grossed out by that, I'm sorry."

Well what's really telling is that HE isn't disturbed by what he drew/wrote.
    What should he say? That he really was offensive to others and definitely took things too far, and is open to litigation if anyone really feels like they suffered over it? Nobody would say anything different as they would be opening themselves up to possible legal issues.

Really most teenagers and young adults say and do offensive things, usually trying to be funny or edgy. I don't exactly love Mike or James like serious fanboys but I don't hate them either, I'm more neutral to them as people. I don't personally find that old content of his funny, it's mostly offensive and not well made, but not all humour is found to be funny by everyone. I'm more bothered by the constant need for everything to be overly politically correct, which wouldn't allow George Carlin's comedy to be performed today. If anything I would say he wasn't afraid to be creative, though the end result was mostly mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    I never saw the point of rental reviews when most of the time james was being talked over,by his cronies That being screenwave media.Ditto twitch before mike left he was all ready doing live streams full time there.
    I really don't know who those other people are on that show, they seem to have other separate content unrelated to James but I've never really looked into it. I do recognize one of them being from the Game Chasers show which I also didn't like much.

With Rental Reviews it's like they tried to combine Best of the Worst with the re:View show into one thing, but those are two differently structured shows that don't mesh well together. One just watches and makes fun of movies, the other covers a movie in depth describing why it's worth watching and how it was made behind the scenes. Rental Reviews tried to do both things at once but wasn't well structured or edited down so they mostly try to talk more about a film but don't actually talk enough in depth about it fact wise and just talk about when they first saw it and then mention weird or memorable scenes they remember in a rambling sort of way without further explanation about why those scenes matter or why they're important to the film. At least that's how the few videos I've watched came across, I think I did watch one or two of them all the way through to see what they were like, and tried to watch a few others part way before giving up.

I also find it funny how James is saying Rental Reviews is being discontinued because of Covid in that it's difficult for everyone to get together for filming. It's not being postponed or put on hiatus until Covid is solved and things are resumed back to normal, it's just outright discontinued. I'm sure there's more to it than just Covid, I mostly doubt it became popular enough to continue unlike how the AVGN character did. Just looking at Red Letter Media, their most recent Best of the Worst was posted 3 days ago and has 634K views; and Rental Reviews oldest video on Commando from 2 years ago has 627K views with their newer videos usually having far fewer views. On average the Rental Reviews videos mostly seem to just get about 1/4 the views as Red Letter Media for the same time period.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    My point was simply that Mike did not "leave" AVGN over any of those circumstances.
    We really don't know what happened behind the scenes, there's still a good chance he could have been asked to leave and publicly it was decided to keep everything on good terms.
    Last edited by Gameguy; 12-24-2020 at 04:48 AM.