Page 77 of 165 FirstFirst ... 276773747576777879808187127 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,540 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great vid, as always. I wonder if he really will re-review Simon's Quest or go straight to III.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Awesome new review. I love when he's not playing the angry part and just enjoying a game. Liked this ep a lot and can't wait for the next parts!
    Check out my oldschool game reviews!
    Click Me!

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I smell a lot of communism in here and see some lovely jealousy infused clarified butter... *ties on a lobster bib* Let's EAT!

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    Great vid, as always. I wonder if he really will re-review Simon's Quest or go straight to III.
    AVGN frist review was simon's quest for when he frist started out.I don't see why he would look at CV2 again,unless for a more deep review of the game.I bet he will probably jump to CVIII next afther part 1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Damn...my guess of Zombies Ate My Neighbors for this Halloween was wrong. Unfortunate. Great video as always, though.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    I hope he does a quick summary of II, then jumps to III.

What I really want him to do is review Kid Dracula.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania: The game that made us all hate bats.

Bats are pretty much the most annoying enemies in the history of video games, right?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funny he should review Castlevania just as the Let's all play Castlevania challenge is winding down. And I learned a new word, "fuckness."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post

Bats are pretty much the most annoying enemies in the history of video games, right?
    The birds from Ninja Gaiden have them beat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Snapple View Post

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph.../GoddamnedBats
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

This review was pretty good. Not because it was Castlevania, but because he gave himself a good amount of time to actually review it and went through detailing everything in the game.

One thing that did suck about his review is it showed like alot of them that he does, that he just isn't good at video games. Sure alot of people think of Castlevania as hard, but I dunno. XYXZYZ got good at the game and finished it in one life in a week. Did James just throw this review together in a day because the video sure as hell shows he had absolutely no skill in the game.

Whatever though. I'm glad he's reviewing the series though. I actually want him to do a Castlevania 2 review instead of jumping right to Castlevania 3 as well, this way we'll be able to see how he's changed. Will his review be as good and as detailed as his original CV2 review, possibly showing a bit more? He also stated hearts are only for currency in this last review, even though he used the flames to kill Dracula in his original review which use hearts, though perhaps he didn't know so maybe replaying through the game he might find out(and maybe he might also realize how terrible the flames are compared to the Golden Knife.)

It'd also be nice if James does the entire series instead of just the earliest games in the series. Meaning Castlevania, 2, 3, 4, Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle, Chronicles, Bloodlines, Adventure, Belmont's Revenge, Rondo, Dracula X, DXC, SotN, Legends, 64, LoD, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, OoE, OoS, LoI, CoD, and Judgment. Or atleast those released in the US. I doubt it's going to happen, but if it does, it'll be a long list of videos for his fans of one of the best series ever released.

*edit*

Quote Originally Posted by XYXZYZ View Post
    Funny he should review Castlevania just as the Let's all play Castlevania challenge is winding down. And I learned a new word, "fuckness."
    I was also thinking this.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 10-08-2009 at 01:59 PM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    One thing that did suck about his review is it showed like alot of them that he does, that he just isn't good at video games. Sure alot of people think of Castlevania as hard, but I dunno. XYXZYZ got good at the game and finished it in one life in a week. Did James just throw this review together in a day because the video sure as hell shows he had absolutely no skill in the game.
    James explicitly stated that he was giving his impression from when he was a kid. From that perspective, his review rings true.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Another great review. Can't wait for CV 3!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dug the review but I was hoping AVGN would notice how your character just disappears on the screen occasionally.

I doubt he'll get to Castlevania Chi no Rondo or any of the GBA/DS Castlevanias or PS2/Xbox/N64 3D Castlevanias, but who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I wonder how long it took him to find all his past references to Castlevania at the start?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    This review was pretty good. Not because it was Castlevania, but because he gave himself a good amount of time to actually review it and went through detailing everything in the game.

Whatever though. I'm glad he's reviewing the series though. I actually want him to do a Castlevania 2 review instead of jumping right to Castlevania 3 as well, this way we'll be able to see how he's changed. Will his review be as good and as detailed as his original CV2 review, possibly showing a bit more? He also stated hearts are only for currency in this last review, even though he used the flames to kill Dracula in his original review which use hearts, though perhaps he didn't know so maybe replaying through the game he might find out(and maybe he might also realize how terrible the flames are compared to the Golden Knife.)

It'd also be nice if James does the entire series instead of just the earliest games in the series. Meaning Castlevania, 2, 3, 4, Vampire Killer, Haunted Castle, Chronicles, Bloodlines, Adventure, Belmont's Revenge, Rondo, Dracula X, DXC, SotN, Legends, 64, LoD, CotM, HoD, AoS, DoS, PoR, OoE, OoS, LoI, CoD, and Judgment. Or atleast those released in the US. I doubt it's going to happen, but if it does, it'll be a long list of videos for his fans of one of the best series ever released.

*edit*

I was also thinking this.
    While watching the video, I also got the impression that the AVGN isn't good at games, but I honestly feel that the "character" of the nerd plays like a normal gamer would, despite being a "game nerd."

But yeah, whether or not he was good at Castlevania really doesn't matter, since it was from his perspective as a youngster.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally think that, character or not, it doesn't matter how well he plays the games. Average is the majority, and so frustrations for a normal gamer are what should be addressed.

For example, when he mentioned the hallway with the two axe knights and medusa heads, I knew what he meant, and also thought "oh right, i remember getting over that after doing x, y, and z" - but I don't know if that makes me a good gamer; should a good gamer be able to pick up any game and know the tropes and adapt instantaneously, or should he learn quickly from his mistakes? If it's the latter, that doesn't really make for a good video review, especially if it's from the perspective of a kid - we were all pretty stubborn at that age (well, I was...).

If he showed a problem area then said, "Well really, all you have to do is time your jumps, as the enemies have a consistent pattern," it would feel more like a strategy guide, and these videos are big nostalgia trips for a lot of viewers, so marinating in the frustration is a lot more like being a kid again. That's just how I see it.

As far as this video goes, I'm glad he's not digging for increasingly obscure games just to very obviously force out a few poo jokes anymore. It was something I was able to initially overlook, then grew to despise, but he's a solid game reviewer and I hope he continues along that route with this series.
    NES, SFC, SNES, NDS, PS2, GCN, PC, PS2
    and hopefully more acronyms to come

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I wonder how long it took him to find all his past references to Castlevania at the start?
    Probably not that terribly long, since he showed in this video that some of what he says is scripted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think onReload is on point. James is more representative of what most people feel while playing Castlevania and other games. If you can beat Castlevania with one life, then great. Most people don't practice the same game for a week straight until their thumbs fall off. This is a comedy video, not a guide on how to perfect the game.