Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Does AVGN ever review any games he likes or does he just shit all over every single game he makes a video about
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by gbpxl View Post
    Does AVGN ever review any games he likes or does he just shit all over every single game he makes a video about

James Rolfe actually likes many of the games on AVGN.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I'm surprised nobody posted this here.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

He hasn't done much AVGN lately, just C64 and LJN games. Not a bad one to return with.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

These days I'm mixed on the Nerd.

I don't completely hate his new vids like most do (in fact I like that the gross-out humor has been toned down--that was always my least favorite aspect of the character) but it feels like a lot of the games he picks on have either already been ripped apart (Town With No Name was already covered by Retsupurae) or aren't bad enough to deserve a ripping (Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures is genuinely good, I don't care what anyone says).

There's also the problem that more information exists now. It was one thing back in the day for him to not know about the glitch that lets you completely skip the ring segments in Superman 64 or not know some game was actually a C64 port (and better on the C64 usually), but then his revisit to Superman 64 happened literally a year after the Games Done Quick run which exposed a lot of the glitches, including the one that lets you skip the rings... but he continues acting as if he lives in a bubble.

Cherry (Level 1) leatherrebel5150's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Theres glitches to get around the rings? I didn’t know that

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    These days I'm mixed on the Nerd.

I don't completely hate his new vids like most do (in fact I like that the gross-out humor has been toned down--that was always my least favorite aspect of the character) but it feels like a lot of the games he picks on have either already been ripped apart (Town With No Name was already covered by Retsupurae) or aren't bad enough to deserve a ripping (Pac-Man 2 The New Adventures is genuinely good, I don't care what anyone says).

There's also the problem that more information exists now. It was one thing back in the day for him to not know about the glitch that lets you completely skip the ring segments in Superman 64 or not know some game was actually a C64 port (and better on the C64 usually), but then his revisit to Superman 64 happened literally a year after the Games Done Quick run which exposed a lot of the glitches, including the one that lets you skip the rings... but he continues acting as if he lives in a bubble.
    Watch any of his most recent video's and you can tell he doesn't have that enthusiasm anymore.Current avgn is pretty much on autopilot now,given his channel network does most of the heavy lifting.James should really retire the avgn character but the problem is he's lock into it with a family to take care of now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I was mostly surprised that it had a title card by Mike Matei, I thought he was done with this stuff and moved on.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I was mostly surprised that it had a title card by Mike Matei, I thought he was done with this stuff and moved on.
    Well he reviewed the game years ago, when Mike did that art, so he reused it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Well he reviewed the game years ago, when Mike did that art, so he reused it.
    He said that but I thought that was staged, like he recorded that recently and tried to make it look old.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    He said that but I thought that was staged, like he recorded that recently and tried to make it look old.
    , yes, there was a transition segment that was obviously new footage but the beginning was old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tron 2.0 View Post
    Watch any of his most recent video's and you can tell he doesn't have that enthusiasm anymore.Current avgn is pretty much on autopilot now,given his channel network does most of the heavy lifting.James should really retire the avgn character but the problem is he's lock into it with a family to take care of now.
    I think he's just really depressed about his hair. If you pay close attention (not saying you haven't) to his videos in the last 5 years he has gone through dramatic efforts to cover it up. I can tell that hair loss is seriously bothering him.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Zap! View Post
    I think he's just really depressed about his hair. If you pay close attention (not saying you haven't) to his videos in the last 5 years he has gone through dramatic efforts to cover it up. I can tell that hair loss is seriously bothering him.
    Ha ha ha! I'm not sure about that, but when he has to do these "flashbacks" obviously he has to make it "appear" like himself from a decade ago when he had more.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Greg2600 For This Useful Post:

Tron 2.0 (04-19-2022)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leatherrebel5150 View Post
    Theres glitches to get around the rings? I didn’t know that
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiAYP6P_lJo&t=1855s

Should be timecoded to skip straight to the game (GDQ videos usually have lots of fluff before the actual run starts), but if that doesn't work, skip to 30:55.

Although the actual glitch they use happens near the end of the game.

Basically its supposed to be one of those games where you have to play it on harder difficulties to get the true ending and it cuts you off early on easier difficulties (And the easiest one has no rings, you just fly to the endpoint).... but this speedrunner found a way to beat it on easy, then turn it up to normal, and then hard, and each time just pick up where they left off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ncman071

avgn is def toned down these days

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Gotta be honest, first the LJN marathon actually kind of felt profound. Like I felt like an era was ending or something.

Made better, the Last Ninja video almost kinda follows it up, with AVGN trying to be more forgiving of the game's flaws (although really, Last Ninja does look like sh--).

Why is it called "Last Ninja" anyway? It makes me wonder if its related to the Amiga "First Samurai" games.

And then the Contra video kinda brought a tear to my eye.

Having binged some recent seasons, I can certainly see why people thought he went downhill, but hopefully he's rising back up.

Here's a flaw I don't think many people have brought up.... as Rolfe himself said in that VHS memories video, the theme of his channel is nostalgia. But then for awhile he was reviewing recent crap nobody cares about, and I think there was also an emphasis on celebrity guest stars and such. I don't watch AVGN to hear about Life of Black Tiger, and to be honest... when an old game is bad, its sometimes bad in an interesting way (Last Ninja is a good example here). When a modern game is bad, it tends to be all the same sh--..... asset flips or incomplete games flooded onto app stores.

There's a reason there's a fan project to remake Action 52. It was bad but it could've been interesting. Life of Black Tiger is just some poor man's attempt at a Lion King/Kimba the White Lion game but with a tiger instead.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

It's been ages (if ever) since I replied here. I saw the C64 video, I thought that one was good.

And here's one I liked a bit more than others, and I never had a cat, and I can't really have a cat. If nothing else, it seems like James might have enjoyed the making of this episode more than others lately.

- Austin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

I hate mondays ~_^

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Garfield one was pretty good. He begins with a nice recap of Garfield history, followed by being incredibly annoyed with the lousy FamiCom game. Having him try the end boss over and over was funny. Then goes off the rails with Bugs Bunny. How does he completely forget that Lorenzo Music voiced both Garfield AND Peter Venkman in the 1980s cartoons?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

This thread hasn't been updated in awhile, I'll post the most recent videos below.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Gameguy For This Useful Post:

WelcomeToTheNextLevel (05-05-2023)