Page 128 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2878118124125126127128129130131132138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prinntODe7s

New video the other day about the several God awful TMNT live action productions, beyond the 3 movies. The concert tours were ghastly.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I thought he did that already with The Nostalgia Critic. Or at least, he did all I would ever want to see. Oi, the jibblies.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I thought he did that already with The Nostalgia Critic. Or at least, he did all I would ever want to see. Oi, the jibblies.
    He did the "Making Of" (or so they say) video but not the actual concert video itself.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I guess it's pretty inconceivable that it could be less appealing, but I doubt it could really be more appealing.

He also at one point showed all of the music video (whatever it was called) that I would ever want to see again.

Now, if he found the people responsible for these things and asked what the heck they were smoking, I would watch that.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Publicly, I am going to say that I am glad the fans raised so much money for him, he provided alot of free quality entertainment for many years. I am happy he gets to persue a dream of his in making a film.

However privately, I am burned out on the AVGN character after he started getting a big head and started to act like a total primadona on his blogs. The AVGN quality dipped starting in early 2010(I really say it was more 2009) and hasn't picked up really at all since then. If the show was on TV it would be canceled by now. It had a great run but most of the magic is now gone.

Basically what happened is that there was too much Mike Matei forced on us(I like weird people but he really thinks he is funny when he isn't at all), too many behind the scenes commentaries I didnt care about(Does he think he is a master craftsman like Stephen Spielberg or something?), and finally, too many new videos that alienate his original audience as they are forced and not genuine anger like back in the day.

I am just glad there are some good replacement reviewers that keep me entertained these days such as Linkara,SFDebris,LazyGamer,NecroVMX,Spoony.

James was a pioneer, no one will ever deny him that, but there are people doing it better these days. I kinda wish he would take that 200 grand and take a hiatus for a year or so, I am kinda sick of the AVGN. He is sick of AVGN too but he has nothing else to fall back on so he going to milk it until it dies a slow painful death.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 02-19-2012 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Queen_Zoe

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Basically what happened is that there was too much Mike Matei forced on us(I like weird people but he really thinks he is funny when he isn't at all)
    I'm not a big fan of Matei, but has he even been in any of the episodes since 2009? I'm going off the top of my head, but I don't think he's shown up since Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle. I remember that the Ninja Gaiden and Game Glitches episodes had guest characters, but neither of them were played with Matei. As someone who isn't really a fan of the guy's performances, I think this is a wonderful thing.

Also, I feel I should mention that a very sizable amount of people were asking for information about what is required to make an Angry Video Game Nerd episode. That's why the making of video and the commentaries were created.

That said, I do agree that the AVGN videos have gotten a bit worse on average. I would attribute a lot of that both to burn out and to James simply starting to run out of games which are both really bad and really interesting. Six years of almost continuous episode making is going to kick just about anyone's ass.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe F View Post
    Also, I feel I should mention that a very sizable amount of people were asking for information about what is required to make an Angry Video Game Nerd episode. That's why the making of video and the commentaries were created.
    The problem I had with those 'making of' videos is that exampled just how bad at the editing process he really is.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Publicly, I am going to say that I am glad the fans raised so much money for him, he provided alot of free quality entertainment for many years. I am happy he gets to persue a dream of his in making a film.

However privately, I am burned out on the AVGN character after he started getting a big head and started to act like a total primadona on his blogs. The AVGN quality dipped starting in early 2010(I really say it was more 2009) and hasn't picked up really at all since then. If the show was on TV it would be canceled by now. It had a great run but most of the magic is now gone.

Basically what happened is that there was too much Mike Matei forced on us(I like weird people but he really thinks he is funny when he isn't at all), too many behind the scenes commentaries I didnt care about(Does he think he is a master craftsman like Stephen Spielberg or something?), and finally, too many new videos that alienate his original audience as they are forced and not genuine anger like back in the day.

I am just glad there are some good replacement reviewers that keep me entertained these days such as Linkara,SFDebris,LazyGamer,NecroVMX,Spoony.

James was a pioneer, no one will ever deny him that, but there are people doing it better these days. I kinda wish he would take that 200 grand and take a hiatus for a year or so, I am kinda sick of the AVGN. He is sick of AVGN too but he has nothing else to fall back on so he going to milk it until it dies a slow painful death.
    I actually really liked his BTS stuff, because I thought they showed off his passion for games and stuff like BTTF and Family Matters. He's making videos in his basement, on the cheap. That is his thing, nowhere does he try to pass himself off as Spielberg, who by the way started out the same way. I would agree other people do better "reviews" if you're looking for a serious review. Our own "OldSchoolGamer" is great at it. But take the examples you give, and count up their youtube views, they get a few thousand per video. James gets a few hundred thousands for new AVGN stuff. I can't comment on his blogs because I don't read them, but James likely gets bombarded by 12 year old PITA's, and I'm sure it's frustrating sometimes. I've also yet to find another reviewer who does the comedy and corny SFX quite like him.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

I'm really glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As I've read, the Angry Video Game Nerd show started as a joke. And James was always a person who wanted to do indie-horror comedy type films. I would say his fans are to blame for constantly pressuring him to do more episodes.

I guess he could have just said no, and went on making horror movies in his back yard. But when you have literally hundreds of thousands of people eager for more videos, it's pretty hard to deny a mass audience like that.

Not many people seem to realize that James production company "Cinemassacre" is mainly a movie website. James has done something like three hundred movie reviews. That's more than triple the amount of AVGN episodes. Not to mention, a large majority of the AVGN videos are games based off movies...

As for Mike Matei, I don't see why his handful of character appearances are to blame for any supposed decline in the show. As pointed out, he hasn't even been in an episode since 2009. And even then, it was only one that year. Sure, I didn't care much for it when he did the Lion. But he was actually hilarious in the recent Virtual Reality Stuntmaster video. If you haven't seen that, you should.

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/02/15/v...y-stuntmaster/

I found many of AVGN's more recent videos to be really good. Dark Castle, Kid Kool, the Steven Speilberg compilation and Star Wars were all great. I'm glad to see him pursue his film making ambitions.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

I can understand not liking the AVGN as much anymore as his stuff pretty much peaked years ago, but you still like Spoony? He peaked back when he switched over from Youtube to Blip. I pretty much watch all of them as I'm just killing time while online, but most aren't that good anymore. Lazy Gamer is great though, he doesn't try to force any material like the others do or introduce random characters to try to be funny. The random characters really only worked with AVGN for some reason, most fake characters just don't work(Dr. Insano or others). I never heard of SFDebris or NecroVMX so I can't comment on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe F View Post
    I'm not a big fan of Matei, but has he even been in any of the episodes since 2009? I'm going off the top of my head, but I don't think he's shown up since Bugs Bunny's Crazy Castle. I remember that the Ninja Gaiden and Game Glitches episodes had guest characters, but neither of them were played with Matei. As someone who isn't really a fan of the guy's performances, I think this is a wonderful thing.
    On the Cinemassacre site there's tons of videos with Matei in them now, not really the AVGN ones but glitch videos, movie reviews, and other random videos pretty much focus on Matei or have him significantly involved.

I enjoy James' movie reviews quite a bit, they aren't irritating as there's no fake acting involved. Just commentary on why he likes or hates certain films.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I never heard of SFDebris or NecroVMX so I can't comment on them.
    NecroVMX's production values aren't super high but he entertains me with his insight into alot of things related to retro gaming and movies that most geeks would like. He doesn't try to be anything more than he is and I appreciate that. He lets troll get on his nerves sometime but he doesn't ever really ever put out a super bad video and his tone of voice is just right.

SFDebris has really good production values.Linkara looks up to him alot. He is really more of a SciFi guy(Star Trek,Battlestar Gallatica) than a gamer but still really entertaining and well put together videos that I think most people growing in the 80's and 90's would like.

As for James, I think he just let too many people get involved in the production(Matei and all those other people like some dude and some girl that he showed in one video a while back) and it caused him to take the AVGN character in a different direction I didn't like. Its hard to explain, I just can feel the drop in quality. He hit a home run almost every video in the year 2007. Now its just like I don't even care to click his newest stuff because its like has came to terms with his childhood gaming hate so I know its not going to be as fun anymore reliving it with him.

I'll shut up now as I feel I have hijacked this thread too much but I hope the AVGN movie turns out good for him.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 02-19-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here James (out of character) discusses his thoughts on the Sonic The Hedgehog games.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/an...wattack/728630

Also of interest, his friend who was Bugs Bunny and Jason in the AVGN episodes did a few game reviews. One on Donald Duck related games -
    http://cinemassacre.com/2012/03/22/donald-duck-games/

and another about the Simpsons games for Game Boy
    http://cinemassacre.com/2012/03/30/b...stalk-gameboy/

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Yes, Mike Matei. I think he's a big Disney collector. I liked his Donald Duck review. I realize he wanted to do the urban legend of the heated pen trick, but honestly, he should know you can get all the game bits on the internet really cheap to open carts. Also, how can you show a game, and then fail to play it? Just use a freaking emulator!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Also, how can you show a game, and then fail to play it? Just use a freaking emulator!
    Well, he said in the video he likes it to be authentic or something

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Drumfreak8

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Yes, Mike Matei. I think he's a big Disney collector. I liked his Donald Duck review. I realize he wanted to do the urban legend of the heated pen trick, but honestly, he should know you can get all the game bits on the internet really cheap to open carts. Also, how can you show a game, and then fail to play it? Just use a freaking emulator!
    I used the heated pen trick to fix my N64 in 15 minutes so don't just bash it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    I'm really glad that I'm not the only one that feels this way.
    Doesn't he make a ton of money from youtube and Screw Attack already as well?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Coptur View Post
    and another about the Simpsons games for Game Boy
    http://cinemassacre.com/2012/03/30/b...stalk-gameboy/
    Ah, good ol' Escape from Camp Deadly. Mastered that game pretty well back in the day, and pretty much without help from GameFAQs and the like. The controls are definitely a bit wonky, but it can be tamed.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Nerd just uploaded a new video, "Double Dragon Memories"

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/05/03/d...agon-memories/

Also, I noticed nobody mentioned his "Sonic Memories" video:

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/04/01/sonic-memories/

Anyway, getting back to "Double Dragon" for a bit, I honestly feel this is his best "Memories" video yet. It's a series overview, and actually has an attempt at humor, and also briefly mentions that there was a Double Dragon game on the Neo-Geo CD. He ends up saying they should make a "Double Dragon IV" oddly (Guess he doesn't know about Double Dragon V, the fighting game based on the animated series).

I didn't really like the Sonic one at all, to be honest.

That being said, I almost wish he wasn't making the AVGN movie so he could go back to making real reviews and stop this "memories" crap. I mean Mike Matei's reviews are okay, but to be honest I've tried other game reviewers, and AVGN and HVGN are the only ones worth watching and both seem to have gone on hiatus. It's making me sad. It's almost like there's no reason to get on the internet anymore.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Both were pretty good, although I think he kind of shortened the Double Dragon one too much. What's so good about his videos is the production value. He's very good at editing the game clips and making them match what he's saying.