Page 129 of 165 FirstFirst ... 2979119125126127128129130131132133139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

He lost all the weight he put on after getting married, and then some. Lightened his hair, too.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Yeah, that's the thing. AVGN and HVGN are both very good at getting you interested in what they're talking about, they have charisma, and they're good at highlighting what they like or hate about any individual game.

I've tried other reviewers--Classic Game Room, Video Game Take-Out and (god help me) even the Irate Gamer--and none of them are as good. They're just boring, they talk and talk and drone on and the things they say and the points they make are unconnected to what's being shown on-screen, which seems to be just whatever clip they wanted to use. And certainly nobody is as hilarious as James Rolfe is. That's always been his charm--he informs and entertains at the same time. No other reviewer does it, or at least does it near as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I didn't notice this before, but Mike Matei posted a new review: Tasmanian Devil games.

To be honest, I don't recall Taz-Mania on the SNES being that bad, and his problems with the first two Gameboy games look to me like he's either just doing something wrong or he doesn't know the trick, but I do agree they could've been a little bit more self-explanatory (just judging by the video, mind). The Genesis Taz games are ones I wanted to play back in the day, but after seeing this video they really don't look like they'd be up my alley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Bumping once more because another new vid: Top 10 Obscure NES Games

The thing that surprised me is that he actually included an Unlicensed game on that list. Other than that... well, its gonna be responsible for a few purchases, but some of these were games I had heard of elsewhere. I had always wondered what Xexyz was and I'm glad I finally know.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post

The thing that surprised me is that he actually included an Unlicensed game on that list. Other than that... well, its gonna be responsible for a few purchases, but some of these were games I had heard of elsewhere. I had always wondered what Xexyz was and I'm glad I finally know.
    It's cool to see some underrated games get some more love especially from a channel well known for ripping apart classics. Also I marked out huge when he mentioned Guardian Legend: my favourite NES game ever!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There's also an update video from James. He's back from L.A. and is finishing up the movie. He said he's also going to start on another AVGN episode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

He's saying "N-E-S" at a record rate.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

His movie update was very informative, had a lot of set pictures. I'm pretty surprised at the number of different scenes the movie will have. Looks very cool.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I wish they didn't use that shitty "springboard" flash video wrapper to display their youtube videos. I guess I should just check the youtube channel directly from now on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been watching alot of his movie reviews, I am beginning to like him more when he isnt the AVGN character. His insights are pretty good on alot of things
    just by themselves as plain ole James.

Also for Matei, his NES video wasn't bad(can't believe
    he left out Dragon Fighter but I can let that go). He is semi decent as a reviewer
    but I loath him doing comedy skits in AVGN and I hope his role in the AVGN
    movie is cleverly written and not just cheap schitck.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Wow, that was really very good! I kept waiting for him to drag out Little Nemo yet again, but no – I was indeed quite unfamiliar with most of those.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    Also for Matei, his NES video wasn't bad

Yeah, I really liked that obscure NES video he did. They just came out with this video, which is sort of like a Let's Play. Never seen them do anything like that before, its kinda cool because the game he chose is a hack I've heard of. Hope to see more stuff like this.

http://cinemassacre.com/2012/06/02/c...ia-blood-moon/

Insert Coin (Level 0) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    JACKxSWAGGER

i like Motherfucker Mike. he's not AVGN, but i like that. he gives Cinemassacre depth and another reason to hang out there rather than another iteration of James'.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RetroRage View Post
    i like Motherfucker Mike. he's not AVGN, but i like that. he gives Cinemassacre depth and another reason to hang out there rather than another iteration of James'.

He's growing on me. This Game Gear video he did is sweet
    http://youtu.be/CRlyL8XMJAQ

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I can't get around the fact that he has the most annoying voice on the planet and is getting paid to turn GameFAQs style Codes & Secrets pages into videos.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think the AVGN character is a douche (I do like James' horror film reviews) who has made it so absolutely no other person on Earth can make a funny video game review....and GOD FORBID you say a swear in it unless youre prepared for an onslaught of AVGN wannabe comments. I mean dont get me wrong, theres BLATANT ripoffs, like Irate Gamer......but theres also just regular dudes out there who want to make a fun review and just get flack for it.

Yeah, fuck the AVGN, hope James kills this shitbag character off sooner than later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    who has made it so absolutely no other person on Earth can make a funny video game review....and GOD FORBID you say a swear in it unless youre prepared for an onslaught of AVGN wannabe comments.
    If it wasn't him, it would be somebody else.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, that's the thing. AVGN and HVGN are both very good at getting you interested in what they're talking about, they have charisma, and they're good at highlighting what they like or hate about any individual game.

I've tried other reviewers--Classic Game Room, Video Game Take-Out and (god help me) even the Irate Gamer--and none of them are as good. They're just boring, they talk and talk and drone on and the things they say and the points they make are unconnected to what's being shown on-screen, which seems to be just whatever clip they wanted to use. And certainly nobody is as hilarious as James Rolfe is. That's always been his charm--he informs and entertains at the same time. No other reviewer does it, or at least does it near as well.
    I couldn't stand Classic Game Room because of the humor (It gets a tad overboard at times) and the sheer amount of episodes they've made. You see how many videos they have (and how many they make a week)? YEESH! i'll never be able to catch up!

Pretzel (Level 4) substantial_snake's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Insanity2546

Quote Originally Posted by Gameboy Color View Post
    I can't get around the fact that he has the most annoying voice on the planet and is getting paid to turn GameFAQs style Codes & Secrets pages into videos.
    I too find "motherfucker" mike's voice grating for some reason. Kinda reminds me of that kid who would always swear to seem cool but always had to force himself to do it, so it would never seem genuine. The videos where he doesn't emphasis it as much are definitely overall better.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You guys do realize part of Mike's schtick is that he's a big time dweeb? His videos get 150K+ views, and overwhelming Likes to Dislikes. Simply the number of watchers for Cinemassacre videos helps to prolong and grow the love of classic video games, good and bad.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK