Page 132 of 165 FirstFirst ... 3282122128129130131132133134135136142 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Having never played G&G, I can confidently say I never saw that coming.
    Never? You really must give it a whirl sometime.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiz95K1ngiI

Official AVGN Movie Trailer is out! I gotta say, it looks pretty funny. Hopefully comes out this century.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Looks funny, though maybe a bit predictable. Enjoyed the (very) brief Pat the NES Punk cameo (look for the guy in the green shirt around 40 second in). I would gladly pay full price to see this in the theater, if only just to thank the Nerd for years of internet funnies.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Insert Coin (Level 0) InsertCleverName's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    Yes, "surprise." I am fairly confident none of us saw that joke coming. All cynicism aside, the way AVGN reacted had a nice twist to it.
    When I said "surprise", I was referring to him being surprised, or shocked. I knew about the twist end the whole way through, I was just anticipating his reaction to having to do the game all over again. lol

As for the film, I hope this plays in theater close to SW Connecticut! If I can't watch it in theaters, then I will buy the DVD regardless.
    Last edited by InsertCleverName; 11-10-2012 at 07:24 PM.
    The Dragon Ball guy.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I'm actually kinda looking forward to this, now that I've seen the trailer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the plot of the movie will have nothing to do with the trailer, but.... nah, that's a stupid suspicion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsertCleverName View Post
    When I said "surprise", I was referring to him being surprised, or shocked. I knew about the twist end the whole way through, I was just anticipating his reaction to having to do the game all over again. lol
    I know. I was just having a bit o' fun with the whole thing.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_xIc7iGPyc

AVGN Movie Trailer Premiere Event Video. Surprise revealed at about the 8:00 mark.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2) AdamAnt316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

I was at the trailer premiere, and it was great. Got to shake James's hand, and he signed my copy of Bible Adventures. All it all, lots of fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it still blows my mind at how large a following this guy has. I just don't get it.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Flam View Post
    it still blows my mind at how large a following this guy has. I just don't get it.
    The cussing can be a turn off, but to me his videos really show how great online videos can be for expression. With any type of tv channel you have censors and big money involved, whereas James can make a video and do what ever or say whatever he wants in it, and he keeps on doing that. Id say his videos really opened up my eyes to things that totally passed me by when Iwas a kid. I didnt have many friends, and almost none played video games, and I never got to experience the 16 bit era like I would have looking back. His videos are full of great information on systems; I didnt know there was a Sega CD, I was 3 when it came out and none of the 2 friends I had that had Geneseye didnt have those or the 32X. I didnt even know about the Zelda Timeline Debates until I saw his video on the confusion, which was actually my first video of his I saw, when I was looking that up. And damned if I knew what a 3DO or NEO GEO were back then, I totally got into NEO GEO not long after looking it up after him mentioning it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I've said before that AVGN sometimes gets on my nerves, when he says something that's blatantly wrong, acts like a Nintendo fanboy (his Sega CD video is one I rarely re-watch), or just makes nitpicky complaints that I doubt most players had problems with (the map in Friday the 13th).

That being said, he's one of the few Angry Reviewers who I felt has a larger ratio of Hits than Misses. The guy is a good actor and filmmaker and it shows, and most of his complaints are legit (unlike most of the idiots at TGWTG) and he usually sticks to games that actually ARE bad. Most of all, he's actually entertaining. Most reviewers wouldn't have been able to review Ghosts n' Goblins and actually make it entertaining (Irate Gamer tried and failed), but Rolfe did.

Admittedly my favorite videos are the ones that tend more towards informative than "angry reviewing" (Doublevision, Swordquest) which is prolly why I segued into being more of a Happy Nerd fan since his videos are dominated by that style, but Rolfe actually makes me laugh, and that's something I haven't been able to say about Nostalgia Critic for the last year or so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I guess I tend to over look the informative side of his reviews and only focus on how terribly un-funny the guy is.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I guess I tend to over look the informative side of his reviews and only focus on how terribly un-funny the guy is.
    He's much funnier than he is good at reviewing, which is the point, he's not trying to accurately review the games. He's lampooning them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I completely agree. It might be slightly funny if you're an adolescent or just have no taste. I could only stand 2 minutes of one of these garbage videos. If you're getting informed from this guy, then there is something wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm just not a "dick and fart" joke kind of guy, although I do think Beavis & Butthead is hilarious. AVGN talking about how he wants "to take a fucking shit on this piece of shit fucking video game that fucking sucks balls" does nothing for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well, that's kind of the point. James Rolfe isn't really like that, the AVGN is just a parody of those kinds of people. That's why I think he's funny.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

As another here said, AVGN is basically the spirit of our childhood frustrations at all those games we couldn't beat, being put into video form.

There's a sort of nostalgic quality to it. I remember when TV was plastered with ads for Bart vs the Space Mutants and Bart vs the World, and now here's his review.

Also there's videos like the afformentioned Zelda Timeline and Swordquest, which are different and less of the diarrhea comparisons.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Final Boss's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Assumably he did the angry video game review gimmick first (and milked it dry). Fans think he's "one of them". Their ambassador for whatever.

I found him funny years ago. And even then, the reviews were the funny parts. When he started adding stuff in, palm started meeting face (Shitpickle, anyone?).

I applaud the man for achieving what most of us want; not having to do actual work for a living. I bet he could get his fans to pay for his kid to go through college as soon as he/she is born.

The last funny thing I remember from this vampirized fad was IGSRJ.
    Last edited by Final Boss; 11-25-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I liked shitpickle. And I dont know why so many people dont like reviewers having a kind of story in their videos. I think it can be a good way to drive their points home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by IHatedSega View Post
    I liked shitpickle. And I dont know why so many people dont like reviewers having a kind of story in their videos. I think it can be a good way to drive their points home.
    The problem with reviewers having storylines is that the story is often not really to do with the game/movie/anime/whatever and is just the reviewer... indulging themselves. It's rarely interesting and oftentimes is annoying. Like Nostalgia Chick's Bratz review where she leaves the movie halfway through and it goes into a mini-story about how she's trapped. It wasn't funny, and it broke the flow of the review (TGWTG is really bad about this kind of thing). I'm here to hear them comment on the movie, not tell their own story.

That being said, Nintendo World Championship worked because the story was themed on how rare the cartridge was, which is a part of that game's mystique. As I said, AVGN usually does this stuff well.