Page 144 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4494134140141142143144145146147148154 ... LastLast
Results 2,861 to 2,880 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    any time he touches an eighties cartoon, for example, he sounds like a typical internet guy who thinks the eighties was a trash decade and the nineties was when cartoons got good.
    You have to remember that while his joke is to tell jokes (self admitted), he still needs present an opinion that generally correct or otherwise hard to argue against.

To put it another way, u c wut i ded thar?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    You have to remember that while his joke is to tell jokes (self admitted), he still needs present an opinion that generally correct or otherwise hard to argue against.

To put it another way, u c wut i ded thar?
    Yeah I think i c wut u ded, but I find that particular concept of US animation "advancing" from the eighties to the nineties to be... basically an internet myth, much like "everyone hated Scrappy Doo," that seems to have more backing than it really does because we're constantly exposed to the vocal minority that says it (because we're using the same tools of communication).

Anyway, anytime the argument stops being subjective and tries to introduce real facts to the table, it turns out it has no real backing... and usually it tends to come down to some lame idea that being based on toys is somehow inherently bad (unless its MLP obviously) but being based on a comic book, video game, movie or more recent toy is okay. In other words, another case of nerds being hypocritical, ill-researched, and not knowing what they're talking about.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    There isn't much to say about his new stuff. For one thing, since he has to devote most of his time to the movie, the video releases are sporadic which means they get forgotten about pretty quickly. I'm still digging his videos, which is a lot more than I can say for his counterpart, the Nostalgia Critic (whose videos I quit watching about 3-4 years ago). Yeah, overall they may not be as good as his earlier works, but they're still good in their own right. It's like watching the whole series of Star Trek TNG. Seasons 6 and 7 were good, but maybe not as good as Seasons 3 and 4.

I've been hanging back a lot on this thread because I didn't really know what to say, but it's finally gotten tiresome reading all the comments saying he's stale and the videos aren't that good and blah blah blah.
    Well it is their opinion. His videos aren't as entertaining as before. Of course thats just me. Its good that your still getting a kick out of his new vids.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Yeah I think i c wut u ded, but I find that particular concept of US animation "advancing" from the eighties to the nineties to be... basically an internet myth, much like "everyone hated Scrappy Doo," that seems to have more backing than it really does because we're constantly exposed to the vocal minority that says it (because we're using the same tools of communication).

Anyway, anytime the argument stops being subjective and tries to introduce real facts to the table, it turns out it has no real backing... and usually it tends to come down to some lame idea that being based on toys is somehow inherently bad (unless its MLP obviously) but being based on a comic book, video game, movie or more recent toy is okay. In other words, another case of nerds being hypocritical, ill-researched, and not knowing what they're talking about.
    The only thing I really see changing from one generation of cartoons to the next is the way the story is being told and the way the viewer is being addressed. I can only speak from my perspective here, but what I really hated about cartoons growing up is the way many of them treated me like I was too stupid to understand the greater story concept of continuity or basic things like cause and effect. Sure, I was between 3 and 6, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to notice when the hero gets some power or learns some lesson, only for it to never come up again or otherwise be significant to his/her story beyond the 22 minutes it was shown in. I also noticed that many of the 80s and older cartoons did this a lot. A number of 90s cartoons had a much stronger sense of continuity and treated me like I was smart enough to understand basic story flow, right up to Batman: The Animated Series, which was the big game changer in my mind. I'm not claiming that all 90s cartoons did this, the majority didn't and were just as toy driven as the previous decade, I just recall the beginning of change (I haven't watched many modern 2000s cartoons, so I'm not sure that this change was followed up on, but, as my grandfather once said, I'm not going to hold my hand on my butt waiting, it might grow there).

At some point within the 90s, I discovered Robotek and hardly ever looked back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's always been my opinion that Duck Tales jump started a renaissance of slightly higher quality Western cartoons, leading into the 90s. There was a few really nice mid to late 80s cartoons as well, but following Duck Tales, things just seemed to blow up for a while.

Batman: TAS was definitely among the best.

To provide something on topic: Man, them nerd videos are getting spaced out. We get a Ton of Mike solo or James and Mike play videos in between. I know right now, he's probably ramping up for Monster Madness, which I've always enjoyed.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

For whatever reason, I recall not being that interested in Duck Tales when it was new or most of the Disney cartoons at the time. I think it might have been me making a blanket assumption that they were all like everything before them and never bothered to confirm if that was true or not. I did start watching Duck Tales (and other, similar cartoons) at some point, though.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm guessing after he played a game of King of the Monsters 2 people might be spamming James with their picks for crappy NeoGeo games to play?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    I'm guessing after he played a game of King of the Monsters 2 people might be spamming James with their picks for crappy NeoGeo games to play?
    The thing is that, and he said this, theres no really bad games on the system. I mean, hed have to get EXTREMELY technical on what fighting games arent as good as others, but hes a nerd, he doesnt play fighting games. Only stuff I think he can do is make fun of the horrible engrish of the Magician Lord villain, NEO GEO CD horrible load times, and just The Nerd losing horribly to every single end boss in a fighting game on the system. Holy crap, that last one may be a fun episode to do
    Last edited by JakeM; 08-23-2013 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As far as bad Neo Geo games, I personally wasn't a fan of Burning Fight. I don't think that would sustain a whole episode, at best it has a chance of getting a brief mention in a possible Neo Geo episode.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Nerd would physically need the game he's reviewing, he doesn't emulate. Neo Geo/AES not cheap.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Now I see the actual video wasnt posted here. He shows he at least has KOF 94, so he could do a small video of him running into Chizuru, thatd be some funny shit. Plus he has enough money to get more NEO GEO games, hell he could even do like CGR does and accept someone elses copies to use for the episode.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    Now I see the actual video wasnt posted here. He shows he at least has KOF 94, so he could do a small video of him running into Chizuru, thatd be some funny shit. Plus he has enough money to get more NEO GEO games, hell he could even do like CGR does and accept someone elses copies to use for the episode
    He was likely getting game donations long before Mark ever did. I know he's mentioned getting NES game donations at least in the past, but I'd imagine he's received more.

...but, yeah, he should have more than enough cash flow from the movie fundraiser and various ad revenue to drop $250, or whatever Neo Geo games average out to be, on a video easily.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by JakeM View Post
    The thing is that, and he said this, theres no really bad games on the system.
    No really bad games on the system?

Really?

REALLY?!

Disclaimer: I love Legend of Success Joe, but that's the king of shit games. Poor design and poor control can't save a game based on such an awesome manga / anime.
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    No really bad games on the system?

Really?

REALLY?!

Disclaimer: I love Legend of Success Joe, but that's the king of shit games. Poor design and poor control can't save a game based on such an awesome manga / anime.
    Havent played it. :s

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

You're telling a guy who barely has enough money to complete his movie, and a little baby, to go out and spend $250 on an obscure Neo Geo game?
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

If we could shift gears briefly...has anyone pre-ordered the AVGN game coming out on Steam in September? I saw the trailer and jumped on it right away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    You're telling a guy who barely has enough money to complete his movie, and a little baby, to go out and spend $250 on an obscure Neo Geo game?
    It's not really his audience's fault he miss-spent their donation monies and all of his ad revenue and merchandise sales. I'm 100% certain everyone who donated to the movie would have been alright with him using the surplus to fund more AVGN videos.

The most amusing part is that I think most would agree that some of his best work was likely made with practically no budget or special effects. Videos like the first Crazy Castle video just took effort and time, something he doesn't seem to invest as much of in most Nerd movies any more.
    Last edited by sfchakan; 08-24-2013 at 01:43 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

If the guy can afford to have a video rental store in his basement, a massive collection of video games spanning across dozens of systems, a collection of various video formats including actual film reels, and a large collection of board games, he could probably afford a Neo Geo system if he really wanted to.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Honestly, he should have just done a Nerd episode on the Neo Geo series of products, like he did the 5200 and Colecovision. Sure he was somewhat inaccurate and wildly satirical, but it was funny. The size, weight, and the cost of the Neo Geo warrants satire. Could even get into the lackluster Pocket hand helds.

Alpha2099, I may order his game, although I don't use Steam.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I'm under the impression (IE: He's stated as much on the GameTrailers forums a few years ago) that a large portion of his collection was donated to him by other collectors, on the promise that everything will get a video someday.

And what's this about misusing funds? Last I saw of the movie was when the trailer was new.