Page 152 of 165 FirstFirst ... 52102142148149150151152153154155156162 ... LastLast
Results 3,021 to 3,040 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I watch their podcast from time to time, but I don't like that guy Ian. Everytime Pat actually gets to talk he seems bored and has that "Oh, when I'm I going to start talking again." look. He looks like he thinks he knows everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I'm glad they did Bayou Billy, I thought I was the only person who thought this game was horribly impossible. It's good to know it wasn't just me sucking ass.
    The Japanese release of Bayou Billy on the Famicom, Mad City, is worlds easier and thus more playable. Why some games were made easier and others harder as they traveled across the Pacific will always baffle me.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by treismac View Post
    The Japanese release of Bayou Billy on the Famicom, Mad City, is worlds easier and thus more playable. Why some games were made easier and others harder as they traveled across the Pacific will always baffle me.
    Konami must have mixed up the production order! Japanese prefer much harder games.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arkanoid_Katamari View Post
    I'm glad they did Bayou Billy, I thought I was the only person who thought this game was horribly impossible. It's good to know it wasn't just me sucking ass.
    I don't know of anyone who likes that game. Spoony reviewed that game years ago back when he was still funny, it was actually his first video review of a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlH1GGuLlw

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I don't know of anyone who likes that game. Spoony reviewed that game years ago back when he was still funny, it was actually his first video review of a video game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPlH1GGuLlw
    I happen to think Spoony is still funny, at least when it comes to game reviews. His Ultima Retrospective is great. I don't watch all his other videos except for game reviews, though.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    I happen to think Spoony is still funny, at least when it comes to game reviews. His Ultima Retrospective is great. I don't watch all his other videos except for game reviews, though.
    I still watch his game and movie reviews, more out of habit now. He may still be funny but not as funny as he used to be, when he started dressing up as other characters he went downhill.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Konami must have mixed up the production order! Japanese prefer much harder games.
    It might be a Konami thing, they did the same thing with Contra Hard Corps (US version is much harder) and I'm sure there are others.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Since renting is illegal in Japan, often the US localization would greatly increase the difficulty to combat renting here, making the game unbeatable in a short time without lots of practice.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

So last night, I went to order a ticket for the Aug 14th screening in the Boston area. The website said the show was sold out, but I tried ordering an extra ticket anyways and the order went through. I called the theater just to make sure it wasn't a mistake on the website, and he told me that the order did go through. Said that the ticket I ordered was one that somebody had canceled their order on.

If a showing in your area says sold out, I'd say try it out anyway, you may get lucky.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    So last night, I went to order a ticket for the Aug 14th screening in the Boston area. The website said the show was sold out, but I tried ordering an extra ticket anyways and the order went through. I called the theater just to make sure it wasn't a mistake on the website, and he told me that the order did go through. Said that the ticket I ordered was one that somebody had canceled their order on.

If a showing in your area says sold out, I'd say try it out anyway, you may get lucky.
    That certainly is lucky. Honestly I'm only going to the NYC screening because he'll be there. If not, I can wait for the blu-ray.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    Since renting is illegal in Japan, often the US localization would greatly increase the difficulty to combat renting here, making the game unbeatable in a short time without lots of practice.
    That makes a lot of sense. Did someone ever state that officially?
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Angry

A good example for a Western game where difficulty was ramped up to combat renting is Chakan. Ed Annunziata has stated explicitly so in the past.

I recall hearing such things about Working Designs games in the past as well.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sfchakan View Post
    A good example for a Western game where difficulty was ramped up to combat renting is Chakan. Ed Annunziata has stated explicitly so in the past.

I recall hearing such things about Working Designs games in the past as well.
    I remember hearing it about Ninja Gaiden III for the NES (the Famicom version has unlimited continues where the US version only has 5).

And yeah, WD ruined Exile II for the TG16 but I don't think it was to combat renting.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

According to Hardcore Gaming 101, Exile: Wicked Phenomenon became harder by accident--WD changed something without realizing how it worked and it made the game harder.

Though there are cases of them doing that on purpose (the limited save system in Lunar: Eternal Blue for the Sega CD for example).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Well, I have now seen the movie. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't call it a particularly great movie either. I definitely get the sense that the ambitions of the creators outstripped their energies; the flow of the second half of the movie would have been greatly aided by a little more deep thought. Of course, good movies don't always have to make sense, but things flip by a little too quickly to maintain even internal self-consistency.

If you're a fan of Mr. Rolfe's work, you'll probably go see it anyway, and there's no good reason why you shouldn't if that's the case. I'd still rank it above Starpocalypse, the only other crowd-funded spinoff of a web series I've seen in recent memory.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    Well, I have now seen the movie. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't call it a particularly great movie either. I definitely get the sense that the ambitions of the creators outstripped their energies; the flow of the second half of the movie would have been greatly aided by a little more deep thought. Of course, good movies don't always have to make sense, but things flip by a little too quickly to maintain even internal self-consistency.
    That doesn't surprise me. I wasn't expecting anything Oscar-worthy. I'll still make an effort to see it if I can get the chance, though.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    That makes a lot of sense. Did someone ever state that officially?
    Aha, that must be the real reason behind Mr. Nutz for Super Famicom giving you more possible max health in the options. The US and PAL versions give you less.
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Saw the AVGN movie today in NYC. It was surprising well done and entertaining. A few too many f-words, and got a little over the top with cheesy miniature-effects, but otherwise good. I think the pacing got a little messy towards the end, and frankly he should have cut like 20 minutes out of it. The opening say 30 minutes were really entertaining, I'd say big studio comedy-worthy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

By the way, did the AVGN ever cover Xenophobe? There was a brief blurb about it in the movie, but I guess it might have been original content?

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Unless its a DVD bonus or some other "not an official AVGN episode" kinda thing, I've never seen a Xenophobe episode of AVGN.