Page 153 of 165 FirstFirst ... 53103143149150151152153154155156157163 ... LastLast
Results 3,041 to 3,060 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Perhaps it's an upcoming episode or one that will be included with the movie DVD.

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I saw the movie last night, and I enjoyed it. It was actually funnier than I expected, and will most likely buy it when it comes out on DVD. I also brought my girlfriend, who only vaguely knows AVGN, and she still had a lot of laughs and enjoyed it. Goes to show that it may have some appeal to some people that don't know the nerd very well.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    By the way, did the AVGN ever cover Xenophobe? There was a brief blurb about it in the movie, but I guess it might have been original content?
    I do not think so, but I'm sure they'll explain it in depth on DVD commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I saw the movie last night, and I enjoyed it. It was actually funnier than I expected, and will most likely buy it when it comes out on DVD. I also brought my girlfriend, who only vaguely knows AVGN, and she still had a lot of laughs and enjoyed it. Goes to show that it may have some appeal to some people that don't know the nerd very well.
    You kind of have to "get" his form of humor. Some people just don't get it. James does it very well, but it's not for everyone. As I said, I found the humor, story and acting to be quite good, and surprising.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I'm pretty sure the Xenophobe thing was just part of the movie, as if it were him in the middle of making an episode, as part of the movie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    I'm pretty sure the Xenophobe thing was just part of the movie, as if it were him in the middle of making an episode, as part of the movie.
    It's just that most of the other episode blurbs looked recognizable. Perhaps I was mistaken.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I still watch his game and movie reviews, more out of habit now. He may still be funny but not as funny as he used to be, when he started dressing up as other characters he went downhill.
    Personally I feel the exact opposite. when it comes to storylines and skits, Spoony is one of the few who can pull them off reasonably well and make them compelling in their own right.

I'm actually kinda late to the Spoony party, in that I started with his more recent stuff then went back to "when he was still funny" and honestly, I don't see much of a difference... except that he's gotten better recording hardware (and software?) since his early days. You can almost see this transition taking place in the Final Fantasy 8 review.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I'm actually kinda late to the Spoony party, in that I started with his more recent stuff then went back to "when he was still funny" and honestly, I don't see much of a difference... except that he's gotten better recording hardware (and software?) since his early days. You can almost see this transition taking place in the Final Fantasy 8 review.
    Part of the reason you can see that transition is because he took a 16-month break before finishing that FF8 review. And that's no exaggeration; Part 7 was released Oct. 3, 2007 and Part 8 was released Feb. 4, 2009.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Personally I feel the exact opposite. when it comes to storylines and skits, Spoony is one of the few who can pull them off reasonably well and make them compelling in their own right.

For me the last of the "good" reviews/playthroughs was with his Phantasmagoria 2 one which was broken up into numerous parts when originally made, this was when he first switched over from Youtube to Blip. The tone of his content changed around this time. Originally he didn't bother with sketches involving original characters, he just focused on reviewing the games or movies with his thoughts on them. His review of The Thing was particularly good.

As I've said I still watch his videos, I can't say the same for Linkara or various others who post reviews with unrelated storylines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I would watch Linkara more if he had more consistent quality.

The dude has a sense of humor and good delivery sometimes ("when we return to the Tommy Oliver show, featuring the Power Rangers..." spoken casually) but its not consistent. A lot of times he has no indoor voice, or can't seem to emote properly/has a stiff delivery. I often find the humor comes from the subject matter rather than the reviewer.

But at least he's better than Phelous, who is like a robot trying to do a Pee-Wee Herman impression.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

But at least he's better than Phelous, who is like a robot trying to do a Pee-Wee Herman impression.
    I have no idea who that person is, but that description made me literally laugh out loud.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I prefer the AVGN that was a labor of love in some rented Philly apartment back in 2006 barely paying the bills. It just felt more organic and genuine to me and had a magical quality that tapped into my childhood anger over the games that wasted my time and allowance.

The real problem with 2014 AVGN is that he has pretty much covered all that needed to be covered in terms of bad games we knew about growing up. In terms of his movie, I don't even think that the ET legend was that interesting to his core audience who are around the 30 age mark and grew up on the NES and NOT the 2600. I just wish there would have been a more Nintendo/early 90's theme to his movie instead of a subject that quite frankly was pretty straight forward all along... A landfill full of archaic overproduced games.

Also I think James needs to realize on his Cinemassacre Channel that no one cares that its the 20th anniversary of some crappy home movie you made in your back yard on a camcorder. That just screams you are digging the bottom of the barrel for content on your channel instead of making new stuff. Also I don't really hate Mike Matei but he seems like does all the work AVGN should be doing himself. Its like he has turned into a professional ball cupper/fanboy for James and its just borderline creepy at this point.

I tuned out to guys like AVGN and Doug Walker years ago but I still find new stuff going on with them somewhat interesting. The funny thing in all this is that Spoony has remained the most consistent reviewer out of them all. His recent Commodore 64 review has the same fun/freshness that AVGN use to have in 2006/2007. Even PattheNESPunk has more interesting content than AVGN these days. I just think that James needs to take a break from all this AVGN stuff and come back with "REAL" enthusiasm as its not there in his videos anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ive read a lot of comments on Youtube that the movie was bad. I`m not sure if they are just haters or if they are legit. From what I see the movie does look pretty crappy, but the positive comments can be just fanboys liking anything this guy would do.

Im getting kind of bored with these Monday playthroughs, I hope he comes up with something new. It doesn`t even have to bean AVGN video. I don`t mind Mike`s reviews. Just something new and maybe different. Please no more hidden gems videos, MetalJesusRocks has got the market on that...ugh....

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

It's nothing amazing, that's for sure. If you're an AVGN fan, you'll like it, if you're not, it's a decently made novelty at best.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    I'm getting kind of bored with these Monday playthroughs; I hope he comes up with something new.
    I actually really enjoy the Monday playthroughs, especially if it's a game I've played myself. But then, I'm the kind of person who can get as much entertainment from watching someone else play a video game as well as playing it myself.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    I actually really enjoy the Monday playthroughs, especially if it's a game I've played myself. But then, I'm the kind of person who can get as much entertainment from watching someone else play a video game as well as playing it myself.
    I like em too, but I think people r more creative with reviews then lets play's, like all the skit material with the AVGN episodes. I'd also rather watch Pat the NES punk's episodes then the James & Mike play stuff. Pat just has a bizarre sense of humor I can relate to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroCool View Post
    Ive read a lot of comments on Youtube that the movie was bad. I`m not sure if they are just haters or if they are legit. From what I see the movie does look pretty crappy, but the positive comments can be just fanboys liking anything this guy would do.

Im getting kind of bored with these Monday playthroughs, I hope he comes up with something new. It doesn`t even have to bean AVGN video. I don`t mind Mike`s reviews. Just something new and maybe different. Please no more hidden gems videos, MetalJesusRocks has got the market on that...ugh....
    I have been wondering why this forum has remained pretty silent on the AVGN movie critisism....

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I have been wondering why this forum has remained pretty silent on the AVGN movie critisism....
    It's possible that many of our active members haven't seen it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

I know I haven't.

I share the earlier commenter's sentiments that AVGN seems to have lost his edge. When his Beetlejuice review wound up being a retread of his Kid Kool review, I was like "this is probably the last AVGN I'll ever watch." Worse was Beetlejuice was a game I had been wanting him to cover.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It seems to me people have been saying much the same thing for many years now.

I already said my piece on the movie, and my views have not changed. It's hard to slam someone's passion project. I'd like to say that it's a good first start and that I look forward to seeing greater things from him in the future, but I get the feeling like this was a one-shot deal that expended whatever creative resources he had.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like he's run out of material. That Beetljuice episode was meh and when he started talking about stars and all that I'm like wtf who cares? Not as lame as the Ikari Warriors and Toxic Crusaders. Those were just awful. His Lets Plays are also boring.