Page 154 of 165 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154155156157158164 ... LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,080 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

You know there's something wrong when he passed up the perfect opportunity to have a Beetlejuice live action segment.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by PizzaKat View Post
    Not as lame as the Ikari Warriors and Toxic Crusaders. Those were just awful. His Lets Plays are also boring.
    I must be the only person who liked his Ikari Warriors video as well as his LPs. I agree that Toxic Crusaders wasn't very good though.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Toxic Crusaders was enjoyable just because Lloyd Kaufman was in it. Guy isn't perfect, but he's generally interesting to watch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    Toxic Crusaders was enjoyable just because Lloyd Kaufman was in it. Guy isn't perfect, but he's generally interesting to watch.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    I used the qualifier "generally".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JSoup View Post
    He was the main reason I hated that one. That was the only episode I couldn't finish. His attempts at trying to be funny were just cringeworthy.

ConsoleGeek
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ChadChops

I guess I never understood his appeal, I think the very first video was good but he never changed and it became annoying really fast. Yes you hate all games while using profanity, we get it.

Plus I'm tired of all these people who are film buffs and want to get famous. I'd MUCH rather have someone who cares more about the games and doesn't have all the fancy editing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    I'd MUCH rather have someone who cares more about the games and doesn't have all the fancy editing.
    The problem with that is those people tend to be incredibly boring. They lack any sort of charisma in front of the camera. For instance, I recently watched JonTron's very first video -- a review of Daikatana on N64 -- and he played it straight, with hardly any gimmicks or "fancy editing" as compared to his current material. I found it incredibly tedious and slow-paced, whereas the fast-paced, stream of consciousness nature of his new videos are more enjoyable.

ServBot (Level 11) Edmond Dantes's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    The problem with that is those people tend to be incredibly boring.
    Then again, so do a majority of "angry reviewers."

At least the real reviewers have merit in that they're actually informing you of the game in question. I've lately started to hate reviewers like AVGN, Nostalgia Critic and the entire TGWTG cavalcade because they're all "characters," who bash games or movies more for humor than because the work in question really deserves it (Chick in particular gets my gall for bashing several animated movies and tv shows that are actually quite good, and usually by completely misunderstanding them).

Happy Video Game Nerd started out as an AVGN clone but is now more of a straight reviewer, and that was for the better. His Clock Tower PS1 review was awesome. Lately I've also been watching Lazy Game Reviews and Ancient DOS Games, both of which keep the "character" aspect down to a minimum and the latter is actually quite analytical, since he'll actually dig into game code to see how things work. Both are very entertaining without needing "fancy editing" or humorous skits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectCamaro View Post
    Plus I'm tired of all these people who are film buffs and want to get famous. I'd MUCH rather have someone who cares more about the games and doesn't have all the fancy editing.
    I stumbled upon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS_XvcGc2ZU recently. I couldn't make it through to the end; it was just so excruciatingly annoying. Some things are best delivered by text annotations.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    I prefer the AVGN that was a labor of love in some rented Philly apartment back in 2006 barely paying the bills. It just felt more organic and genuine to me and had a magical quality that tapped into my childhood anger over the games that wasted my time and allowance.

The real problem with 2014 AVGN is that he has pretty much covered all that needed to be covered in terms of bad games we knew about growing up. In terms of his movie, I don't even think that the ET legend was that interesting to his core audience who are around the 30 age mark and grew up on the NES and NOT the 2600. I just wish there would have been a more Nintendo/early 90's theme to his movie instead of a subject that quite frankly was pretty straight forward all along... A landfill full of archaic overproduced games.

Also I think James needs to realize on his Cinemassacre Channel that no one cares that its the 20th anniversary of some crappy home movie you made in your back yard on a camcorder. That just screams you are digging the bottom of the barrel for content on your channel instead of making new stuff. Also I don't really hate Mike Matei but he seems like does all the work AVGN should be doing himself. Its like he has turned into a professional ball cupper/fanboy for James and its just borderline creepy at this point.

I tuned out to guys like AVGN and Doug Walker years ago but I still find new stuff going on with them somewhat interesting. The funny thing in all this is that Spoony has remained the most consistent reviewer out of them all. His recent Commodore 64 review has the same fun/freshness that AVGN use to have in 2006/2007. Even PattheNESPunk has more interesting content than AVGN these days. I just think that James needs to take a break from all this AVGN stuff and come back with "REAL" enthusiasm as its not there in his videos anymore.
    Tastes change, but I still love the AVGN! Of course he's gonna transmogrify his style over time.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    I stumbled upon https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cS_XvcGc2ZU recently. I couldn't make it through to the end; it was just so excruciatingly annoying. Some things are best delivered by text annotations.
    There's so much bad on YouTube. I guess people love to hate the Nerd, as they say, but that's still a view hit for him!
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha2099 View Post
    I must be the only person who liked his Ikari Warriors video as well as his LPs. I agree that Toxic Crusaders wasn't very good though.
    Nah - That was one my favourite episodes. I absolutely loved it. Toxic Crusaders was the only episode I didn't much care for.

With that said: I love the AVGN. Same with the Nostalgia Critic, and of course Mr. Plinkett. Other then that... I don't care for most, although I have started to watch some Lazy Game Review and find them to be rather interesting...

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

Nerd just got started with his 12 days of shitsmas, 12 short, daily, game reviews. Made it through Tagin' Dragon and SMS Alf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5TUJae9CxM
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Nerd just got started with his 12 days of shitsmas, 12 short, daily, game reviews. Made it through Tagin' Dragon and SMS Alf.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5TUJae9CxM
    Oh no, please don't tell me he didn't like the SMS version of Alf, that was a great game. What's not to like about a game where one of your weapons is a pepperoni stick?

Apple (Level 5) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

To the people who don't really like the AVGN how do you guys feel about Jontron?
    What's up with islands? Get more land.
    What's up with deserts? Get less sand.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    To the people who don't really like the AVGN how do you guys feel about Jontron?
    I feel the same about both of them.
    When they are good, they are pretty damn good.
    When they are bad, they are unwatchable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steam
    nmykita

I happen to like both of them. I only recently started watching Jontron, but I do find him very funny. His 'stream of consciousness' style appeals to me, largely because it separates him from AVGN. Jontron also goes the extra mile in doing a lot more with visual cues to make the viewer laugh, whereas AVGN's humor resides mostly in dialogue. But don't get me wrong, Jontron also has some great lines of his own.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

To be honest, I like JohnTron's non-gaming stuff more. His Halloween episodes on Goosebumps and Are You Afraid of the Dark are amazing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Urzu402 View Post
    I like JonTron a bit more. Don't get me wrong, I like James Rolfe a lot, but there''s a sort of stiffness to his acting. And sometimes, especially on the Monday Mike & James Plays he doesn't come off as knowledgable about video games as you'd hope. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but guys like JonTron, ProJarad, PBG, Cadicarus, and EgoRapture just come off as more passionate about video game history. And their onscreen personas feel more natural then the Nerd.

But they are all consistently entertaining. And these Shitmas episodes have been great so far.
    Last edited by The Adventurer; 12-13-2014 at 07:06 PM.
    New Comics for the Week of 10-03-12