Page 39 of 165 FirstFirst ... 293536373839404142434989139 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Seems like Milon's Secret Castle is an epitome of an old school NES game.

No save, no password. Check!
    Secrets without explanation. Check!

Each isn't really so bad but the extreme this game takes it to drives it over the edge from "old school hard" to ridiculous.
    Last edited by Gentlegamer; 01-28-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by CastlevaniaDude View Post
    Also glad to see the AVGN focusing on the game over theatrics again.
    I second this. Some of the theatrics are good (when he broke character during the Indy review, that was classic), but we love 'em for his game reviewing most of all.
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought this review was entertaining, if only for the fact I knew nothing about the game before hand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Found Milon's at Play N Trade for 3 bucks, so I picked it up for the hell of it. Time to scream some obscenities at my TV
    Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by otoko View Post
    My question for that game is how did it even make it out of production like that? Where the programmers too far stuffed up their butts to see how how it was to figure out?
    It seems to have a certain Tower of Druaga vibe about it. And Druaga makes this game seem like a piece of cake. I might also be tempted to invoke Golvellius.

By the way, there was also a B&W Game Boy port released many, many years later.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    Found Milon's at Play N Trade for 3 bucks, so I picked it up for the hell of it. Time to scream some obscenities at my TV
    Go for the full 1987-88 game-playing experience by NOT going to the internet for help when you get stuck (you will). The Nintendo Power issues didn't come out for a couple years, so you wouldn't have had those for assistance either.

That was part of the problem. I got this game as a gift when it was brand new to the US. When you got stuck, that was it. Like the Nerd says, you had to shoot, push or jump on literally every other pixel to advance in the game. That's not fun. That's a chore, even for an eight-year-old who has nothing better to do than play Milon's Secret Castle all day on winter break.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Silljo View Post
    Ninja Kid

Edit: Also it reminds you of Chubby Cherub for a reason. Both were released by Bandai arounf the same time and used similar character designs and box art.
    Were either good? I game very close to getting Ninja Kid in 1987, but chose M.U.S.C.L.E. instead! Big mistake! You can't get much worse than that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Were either good? I game very close to getting Ninja Kid in 1987, but chose M.U.S.C.L.E. instead! Big mistake! You can't get much worse than that!
    I wouldn't call Ninja Kid a great game, but it's defineately not bad either. I guess if you want a letter grade it's a C. 1-10? ..... maybe 6. Way better than M.U.S.C.L.E., you are correct about that being a mistake.

Chubby Cherub is a very good game for a very young gamer. I bet when my kids are 4 they will think it's great fun. Later on though I think it's too easy to be very entertaining.
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd love to see the AVGN review Tag Team Wrestling for the NES. That's one of the worst wrestling games - and video games - I've ever played.

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Entertaining review. Interesting fact, he was using the European version of Milon's Secret Castle.

I never played much of Milon's Secret Castle, but I would have reacted much like the Nerd when I realized some of the things further down the line.

He should have at least mentioned that it got a sequel in Japan and that it was way better than this one.

It's the USA-version of the game, it was never released in Europe.

BTW, did he play the first Zelda game? No crack in the walls in that one either.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I'd love to see the AVGN review Tag Team Wrestling for the NES. That's one of the worst wrestling games - and video games - I've ever played.
    Hey, at least it inspired Strong Bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudos View Post
    BTW, did he play the first Zelda game? No crack in the walls in that one either.
    That's right, but the areas that have to be bombed can be intuited from the way the dungeons are structured. And there's only four possible spots on any given dungeon screen where a bomb could reveal a secret passage.

It's different, of course, for the overworld, but IRC there is nothing necessary to completing the game to be found by bombing. There's at least one found by burning, though . . .

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I wouldn't call Ninja Kid a great game, but it's defineately not bad either. I guess if you want a letter grade it's a C. 1-10? ..... maybe 6. Way better than M.U.S.C.L.E., you are correct about that being a mistake.

Chubby Cherub is a very good game for a very young gamer. I bet when my kids are 4 they will think it's great fun. Later on though I think it's too easy to be very entertaining.
    Chubby Cherub is okay at best. Ninja Kid is slightly better than that. M.U.S.C.L.E is tolerable, but you have to put time into it that the game doesn't deserve to learn and overcome the controls.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tupin View Post
    Ninja Kid is slightly better than that.
    How do you know how good a game is when you couldn't even ID it?
    Bacon, Bacon, Bacon, IT'S BACON!!!!

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

How do you know how good a game is when you couldn't even ID it?
    Tried it out for a while after I heard the name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post
    That's right, but the areas that have to be bombed can be intuited from the way the dungeons are structured. And there's only four possible spots on any given dungeon screen where a bomb could reveal a secret passage.

It's different, of course, for the overworld, but IRC there is nothing necessary to completing the game to be found by bombing. There's at least one found by burning, though . . .
    The second quest would like to have a word with you :P

Dungeon 8! Across a river, you had to bomb. But that was never made clear in the game. I mean, at least you got a clue that you had to bomb spectacle rock to find dungeon 9 in the first quest...
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Great review... I remember picking that up a few years ago, playing it for about three minutes and then shelving it.

Got a bit of a technical question... I tried to load the MP4 into my iPod, but I got a message saying it couldn't be transfered to my iPod... all this other videos worked fine... anybody have this problem? My software is all up to date...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Cherry (Level 1) CastlevaniaDude's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    I do agree that Milon's Secret Castle isn't a good game, but man, the nerds videos are just getting boring and repetitive. I'd honestly like to see him release another video that's atleast as good as his Sega 32X video.

I thought I also saw Crystalis in the opening.

*edit*

Yes. Crystalis is in the opening. So is Solar Jetman and Astyanax. All three good games.
    Ironically, I thought Solar Jetman was horrible. Crystalis was GREAT. Never played much Astyanax, but wasn't too high or low on it. Not a fan, though.
    Adult Podcast for Kids
    Weekly geek podcast. Everything from movies to tv, comics to video games, pro wrestling, entertainment, and beyond, with a decidedly adult slant.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post

There are some very frustrating moments in Link's Awakening that result from being clueless about bombing an unmarked wall. Not to mention that bit in the first level where you're supposed to push that one block. Sure, it might be an obvious thing to try if you've played the original Zelda enough times, but if you haven't, you're a mite screwed. Fortunately the whole game isn't like that.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    There are some very frustrating moments in Link's Awakening that result from being clueless about bombing an unmarked wall. Not to mention that bit in the first level where you're supposed to push that one block.t.
    I wonder why the programmers did that in the first place? Did the expect us all to know exactly what they where thinking right off the bat?

For any game I find that unacceptable. Well, unless it's part of something bigger.. maybe...