Page 50 of 165 FirstFirst ... 4046474849505152535460100150 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I never liked the Metal Gear games either, actually. I'm a bit too impatient to actually enjoy any of the Metal Gear games. On the older games, because it uses the bird's eye view, you're forced to use either the camera or set your back to literally every wall to make sure there are no enemies because you can't very well view them without doing that.

Metal Gear Solid 3 fixes the problem and actually gives you a rotating camera, but now that 90% of the game is open areas, you have to use paint and different uniforms to cover yourself in alot of parts, that and wait for god knows how long to actually get by a group of people because you can only move while they're turned around or you have to specifically wait and look for a bit to see what directions they're taking.

So what do I do in the Metal Gear games(other than the first MGS since that one is the easiest in the series?) I get seen and proceed to kill literally everyone. But on MGS3, for all those people I killed, it took me about 37 hours to walk through the river of sorrow, then use the one pill after I ended up getting to the end and dying(which you use to proceed.)

One good thing about the Metal Gear series though. The storyline kicks ass. MGS3 easily has the best storyline in the series, the first one is also okay, and part of the second is good. Raiden whining like a girl 90% of the game ruins the entire story though. I've only played a few hours of MGS4. Far harder than 3 and you're required to use stealth in order to not get raped in a few areas(respawning enemies are also bullshit.)

When I was a kid I thought Metal Gear NES was pretty pretty cool, but I never owned it and it was only a single day which I played it. I clearly remember that beginning though which you had to restart over and over. I had the roms on my PSP awhile ago, but I ended up playing them again and hating them.
    Last edited by kupomogli; 04-10-2009 at 04:57 AM.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I played all the way through NES Metal Gear, and so did most of my friends. I honestly had no idea so many people hated it. I still really like it. I think it's fun having the huge inventory and figuring out how everything works. Yeah, the gasmask issue is stupid, enemy respawning sucks, etc., but at the time I just accepted that this was how the game works, and you have to work within those confines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I played all the way through NES Metal Gear, and so did most of my friends. I honestly had no idea so many people hated it.
    Same here. Most of my friends and I owned and beat Metal Gear. We thought it was a really cool game. Where else could we sneak up on enemies, hide in cardboard boxes, and use cool items like gas masks and remote-controlled missiles?

Even at 10 years old, my friends and I figured out this wasn't a run-and-gun Contra-style game, but a stealth game that required different techniques.

As far as figuring out where to go, the game came with a color map. Problem solved.

The story kept us going, too. I remember near the end of the game, Big Boss told us to go into a room. When my friends and I did, we walked into a trap. Was this a mistake? We tried it again. Big Boss told us to go into the room again...and we died again. What was going on? Was this a glitch? Then, I figured out that Big Boss was purposely sabotaging us! He was working with the bad guys! Nice touch.

Was Metal Gear (NES) a perfect video game? No, but back then, it was really cool. That said, I like the AVGN's video and he makes valid points.

I feel the same way about his Top Gun video...it's funny, entertaining, and features valid points, but I was able to land on the aircraft carrier and refuel every time when I was 10 years old.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I feel the same way about his Top Gun video...it's funny, entertaining, and features valid points, but I was able to land on the aircraft carrier and refuel every time when I was 10 years old.
    So was I, although I was slightly older (14) when Top Gun came out.

This point brings me to another question. I think the AVGN was just a casual video game fan in the late 80's and all throughout the 90's. I'm willing to bet the farm he was never the hardcore gamer/video gaming historian that so many of us here are. Although vastly more talented in acting and making videos, my gaming resume blows his away.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    I think the AVGN was just a casual video game fan in the late 80's and all throughout the 90's. I'm willing to bet the farm he was never the hardcore gamer/video gaming historian that so many of us here are. Although vastly more talented in acting and making videos, my gaming resume blows his away.
    He's a filmmaker. Not a super hardcore gamer. He's playing the CHARACTER of a video game geek. Not claiming to be the worlds most hardcore gamer.

Anyway, he's now releasing some movie reviews about the original star trek movies leading up to the 2009 prequel. Anyone going to go see that movie?

Here's the link
    http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-trek/3146903

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by elvis8atari View Post
    He's a filmmaker. Not a super hardcore gamer. He's playing the CHARACTER of a video game geek. Not claiming to be the worlds most hardcore gamer.

Anyway, he's now releasing some movie reviews about the original star trek movies leading up to the 2009 prequel. Anyone going to go see that movie?

Here's the link
    http://www.spike.com/video/cinemassacre-trek/3146903
    I understand that. I didn't mean to sound like I was knocking him, I enjoy his videos more than the other imitators.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I could land on the aircraft every once in awhile, but I've never once been able to refuel in midair. That said. I never owned the game and only played it a long time ago.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

i'm surprised to see so much hate for metal gear, I remeber loving it to death when it came out , I actually bought it after beating it back in the day. I do agree it had alot of bugs and WTF momments, but if you didn't have access or knowledge of the japakahuchi versions...it was a trully amazing game. metal gear snakes revenge was a very well done (but hard as hell) game . internerd hate is pretty anoying, but all your base belong to us or something.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm a bit surprised he reviewed Metal Gear. I never played it and I'm not a big fan of MGS, I kinda assumed it was good. However, seeing him play it I can understand why he'd hate it. It's a complete bastardization of the original.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    I played all the way through NES Metal Gear, and so did most of my friends. I honestly had no idea so many people hated it. I still really like it. I think it's fun having the huge inventory and figuring out how everything works. Yeah, the gasmask issue is stupid, enemy respawning sucks, etc., but at the time I just accepted that this was how the game works, and you have to work within those confines.
    That's what i like about the nes metal gear for how it played and it's theme.Even if the game,has it's flaws it seems like i see more hate for it today..then back then.Though these days there is the option to play the msx version at least.It is a shock to see how much diffierent is compare to the nes version.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here's a little video he did on the board game Mouse Trap. I totally forgot about that game.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=1105

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I NEVER got the trap to work once.

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

That mouse trap review was good. We had that as well, but other than setting up and executing the trap, the game was totally pointless.

As for Metal Gear, I was not a fan then, although I like the genre now. I didn't dislike the game, just wasn't into it. I've probably said it before, but the worst NES game I've ever had was Airwolf. Don't think the AVGN has done that one yet, which is surprising. It's worse than Top Gun by far in difficulty.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    So was I, although I was slightly older (14) when Top Gun came out.

This point brings me to another question. I think the AVGN was just a casual video game fan in the late 80's and all throughout the 90's. I'm willing to bet the farm he was never the hardcore gamer/video gaming historian that so many of us here are. Although vastly more talented in acting and making videos, my gaming resume blows his away.
    I agree, and that's what makes him awesome. Most "hardcore" gamers are about as fun to listen to as watching paint dry.

Also, you've brought this point up at least four times in this thread. We get where you're coming from already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love the fact that he did a board game review. Not that I want to see TOO many of these, but the fact that he did the review tickles me. The MGS review was the best in quite some time, the feelings and memories were all dead-on for me.
    The Monarch: Hey, guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist-fight between Anne Frank and Lizzie Borden. We never should have brought the henchmen. We're going to be the only ones there with henchmen!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47835

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Damn, I had always planned on doing some sort of parody video of AVGN where I would review board games and complain about how much they suck, but he beat me to it!

Guess there's only one thing to say...

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by elvis8atari View Post
    Here's a little video he did on the board game Mouse Trap. I totally forgot about that game.

http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=1105
    Cool, I used to have that game (muizenval here). The trap worked, but it was over when I lost the green ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He hit the nail right on the head with his Mouse Trap review. I owned the game for years, but I never actually played it...I just set up the trap and kept triggering it to go off over, and over again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was probably in the only family in the world that actually played the game straight. I never met a single other person whole actually played it the "right" way.
    And don't bring up that stupid girlie Aladdin rip off! Shantea?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

We played the game straight in our household, but truth be told me and the brothers always preferred The Grape Escape. What other board game vaunts the ability to decapitate, stomp and crush your opponents in graphic detail?
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.