Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

Quote Originally Posted by IronBuddha View Post
    My cousin actually loves the original Godzilla on the nes. I gotta show him this episode
    Agreed! I also liked the NES version! Sure, it was repetitive and stupid, but I had a blast playing it. I also loved the gigantic graphics!
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CDiablo View Post

Unleashed for Wii broke my heart, so many characters(Only one I can think is missing is Hidorah) but the controls are so broken that the brokenness went to my heart.
    i'm right there with you. i thought the character lineup was great and it was nice to see Titantasaurous finally get some screentime (though i to would of loved Hedorah) but the controls had me in tears as well. a potentally awsome game for fans ruined by the gimmiky remote contols. i wish they would of at least gave the option to use the classic controler or the GC controller.

i still will stand by the 2 nes godzilla games. especially the first one. i kinda like all the obscure Toho refrences and monsters in that game (many of which i did not realize untill much later in life) besides the obvious obscure monsters like Varan, Gezora and Moguera you even got the Super X, giant Matango mushrooms and Dogora. ok yhea you have to be a pretty hardcore G fan to appriciate that but for a fan its a game with alot of nods.

and i still have to give anouther shout out to the Godzilla fighting game for the Turbo Grafx CD. probibly my favortite godzilla game and as i said before, a US release. its nice now the battles progress through the series. even Godzilla looks changes to coincide with the era and the backgrounds come stright for scenes from the movies such as the the trucks turning thier headlights on and off dureing the battle with Hedorah or Anguirus batteling King Ghidorah in the distance as you fight Gigan.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

James posts another video full of fail. This time the only games you could say he really reviewed were the NES Godzilla games. The other ones he pretty much stuck them in, didn't give much of anything as reviews. He pulled the GB one out as soon as he put it in pretty much(and that seemed the best of the ones he "reviewed.") Alot of cursing but he didn't use it in ways he did before that made it amusing.

I think James is starting to turn out like Keanu Reeves. He keeps making shitty videos and he keeps getting praised. How is he supposed to realize his work, or acting in Reeves case, sucks balls lately if everyone keeps kissing his ass? Reeves has sucked balls for quite some time at acting and he always winds his way into these big budget films that usually end up sucking(Matrix series, the Day the Earth Stood Still.) He'd be good at playing a robot, I think.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    James posts another video full of fail. This time the only games you could say he really reviewed were the NES Godzilla games. The other ones he pretty much stuck them in, didn't give much of anything as reviews.
    Yeah, I watch the AVGN videos for insightful full-scope reviews, NOT to be entertained by bad games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sonicwolf359

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    He'd be good at playing a robot, I think.
    He would be good at playing a rotting corpse.
    DERP

Part of the #vbender crew Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Abstract Zero
    PSN
    Ze_roV
    Steam
    abstractzero

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Anyway, good video, but I was hoping James would at least mention the King of the Monsters games on Neo Geo, or Rampage. I know they're not official Godzilla games, but they were a good substitute at the time.
    I was thinking the same thing. In some of the opening montages, you can see him weigh the NeoGeo AES cartridge version, so he definitely owns the game. The video was already getting pretty long though, and he's probably planning to do a separate video for the NeoGeo in the future anyways.

--Zero

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Don't get me wrong I think the guy is awesome, and is a very talented and entertaining dude. However lately the AVGN videos were getting stale the Pitfall was good but I think he's trying too hard to please his fans. I think he should take a step back do his own things for a while and then come back to video game reviews with a slightly different approach. The Godzilla was good in a sense as it tried to be like his early videos like Pitfall but this time it was just too nitpicky and whiney. It's like how bitchy can you get over a game? Even well developed popular games were challenging at the time when these games were made so it's not like it's unique to licensed movie/TV games.

I think he needs to start becoming more progressive with his reviews. He should review the pros and cons more and comparing different systems and versions of game so it comes off more fair and balanced. Excessive cusswords and special effects don’t necessarily make the review more old-school or better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by wildstreak View Post
    this time it was just too nitpicky and whiney. It's like how bitchy can you get over a game?
    That's the whole point of the AVGN. His reviews are entertaining because he exaggerates. It's comedy and I think James does a great job of balancing fact and humor.

The AVGN has been around for a few years. If - after all this time - you're still hoping he'll do serious, 100% accurate reviews, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment every two weeks.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The AVGN has been around for a few years. If - after all this time - you're still hoping he'll do serious, 100% accurate reviews, then you're setting yourself up for disappointment every two weeks.
    I think The Nerd summed it up quite nice at the end of his "Double Vision" video...

"I know we focused mainly on the shitty aspects, but... THAT'S THE NAME OF THE GAME (frown)."

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I loved the NES Godzilla game. It was mindless fun and the graphics were great for the monsters! Now i wish Destroy All Monsters melee made it to PS2. *sniffle*
    Last edited by kainemaxwell; 09-06-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Lightgunner Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cryomancer

This video probably isn't as meaningful to you if you weren't a kaiju nerd growing up me, and obvious him as well, were. It's more about how back then you had to fight for a scrap of Toho goodness, and the games just were a total waste of liscense compared to what they could have been / what we all imagined and hoped for.

This is one of those videos that really makes me think I would get along with him if we hung out, as we obviously have a common thread of growing up with a pretty frustrating fandom to be a part of. Hell I was pretty much the only person I knew who liked Godzilla at all. Power Rangers blew my fuckin mind. I guess that's what it's like to be into tokusatsu back before anyone in the states knew what it was!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that this Godzilla video is one of the best episodes in the entire AVGN series. First, you get a good nes game review followed by a classic Nerd rant. Then you get ANOTHER nes review, not as long, but still another good review of an nes game. Right there, that'd be enough for most videos. Going back to his early Top gun video, he only reviewed two games there. Clearly showing how he's stepped up his game since then - the nerd hits you with a SNES and Gameboy review AND THEN a great ending montage with the xbox games which sums up his character in a nutshell. Followed by an explosive (and very funny rant, we get TWO in this video) and then a clever bleeped out curse word to top it all off. A great video from AVGN indeed. And shows why this guy has lasted longer then any of his imitators that all fell by the wayside.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like the fact that AVGN is starting to venture into import games & more recent games. He should review Spelunker II for the sheer bizarreness when you lose a life and also to rip Bad Boys: Miami Takedown a new one.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For those of you considering getting one of the newer, next-gen godzilla titles, I must warn you that Destroy All Monsters Melee and Save the Earth are incredibly similar.

This isn't to say that either game is bad, but I don't think that owning one exactly warrents purchasing the other. Save the Earth is more like an update. Just do some research and find that one that you think you will like more. There really is some good four player action there.

As a complete side note, I just recently watched an episode of "Until We Win" over at retrowaretv.com. In this episode, the host plays ALL the way through Silver Surfer for the NES, one of the absolutley horrid games that James reviewed some time ago. I wouldn't say that this video entertained me for the full 20 minutes, but I was impressed by his incredible dedication to beat this game. It very much looked ny-impossible. And the screens he got when he finally beat the game were hilarious. You just have to see it.

Taking that much time to beat an extremely hard GOOD game, (like Ikaruga), is one thing, but ALL that time to beat a crapfest like Silver Surfer, now that is dedication.
    No, I'm Mr. Big Lucky Flavor!

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

I have negative 1,000,000 interest in Godzilla in any fashion, but the AVGN video had me entertained. I really liked how at the end, he sort of breaks character and plays the XBox and PS2 versions! And then starts screaming because the old games were so bad! Those are my sentiments exactly.

PS: When he gave up on Godzilla NES because the "game cheats" that really hit the spot! I used to scream and go crazy yelling that exact phrase all the time on the NES.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Board James reviews Weapons and Warriors:
    http://www.cinemassacre.com/new/?p=2727

(just in case anyone missed this)
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Strawberry (Level 2) Arcade_Ness's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to play Weapons and Warriors back in the day. I was terrible at it and my friend, who owned the game always had control of the castle. It was great to see James mount a comeback at the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WolfpacLeader
    PSN
    wolfpacleader86

Quote Originally Posted by Therealqtip View Post
    I'ma sound like a queer right now but I think the Godzilla on Gameboy was hilariously adorable.
    The video was good but about this game, he never mentioned the part that used to piss me off to no end:

"WHY THE FUCK CAN'T YOU JUMP?! Oh great, now I'm STUCK IN A HOLE AND CAN'T JUMP OUT OF IT?!"

Yeah.....the game scars me to this day.....

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Guess the Nerd doesn't own a Turbo Duo. The Godzilla he's looking for came out in the US in 1993 for the Duo. Better than that SFC version too.

Silly Nerd. He owns a CDI but not a Turbo Duo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You never know...he might have a Turbo Duo but doesn't own the Godzilla game. Or, he might think that no one would be able to relate with a Turbo Duo review of Godzilla since so few Turbo Duos were owned in comparison to the NES, Game Boy, and SNES.

Regardless, I have wondered where his TG16/Turbo Duo retrospective is/was (a la the Double Vision series).