Page 81 of 165 FirstFirst ... 317177787980818283848591131 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,620 of 3293

Thread: The Official Angry Video Game Nerd Discussion Thread

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Part IV was pretty sweet and I think completely accurate. SOTN has definitely kind of melted away the classic gameplay of any following release. He seemed really rushed though. The review was short, and to the point. I was disappointed that Bloodlines was skipped over so quickly, there was surely more to say on it. He must be pretty busy with some of the other stuff that's going on at the site atm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I just want him to move onto something else already. This Castlevania series recap has taken quite some time up. There's nothing new offered (humorous or informational) and, aside from SCIV, he didn't really look at any of the releases in much depth at all.

He cranked out the worthwhile (to me) monster madness videos in a short time span, why couldn't he do these Castlevania videos just as quickly during/around Halloween week? Hell, even just turn em out once a week during October...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i surprised he didnt make a crack about the names of the metroid styled castlevania games

pick two random nouns, and stick the word 'of' in between them... POOF!! your new castlevania game name!!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The nerd did a good job reviewing the series though he missed 3 Castlevania games on the original GB (4 if you coung Kid Dracula). Probably saving those for next Halloween or down the road later.

sfchakan, he's not a machine, he's human. Have you ever done a video review yourself? I can say from experience, it's no walk in the park, especially jugging work, school, and other responsibilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    You're just a hypocrite. I'm bashing Nintendo because I'm anti Nintendo, but my reasoning behind bashing them is always accurate. You should learn to do some research.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    I personally think it's greed to expect that you can pay for a game once and then do whatever you want with it.
    Check my video reviews on YouTube:http://www.youtube.com/user/optitube
    My Pixel Paradise Blog: http://blockmangamer.blogspot.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) guitargary75's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty good. This one was just kinda there. Not really amazing but, not really that bad either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by guitargary75 View Post
    Pretty good. This one was just kinda there. Not really amazing but, not really that bad either.
    I feel the same way too, which means that for the Nerd, it's one of his lesser reviews. It wasn't awful, but it's not something I'm ever going to watch again.
    Settle down, raise a family, join the PTA
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet
    And party 'till you're broke and they drag you away
    It's okay, you can dare to be stupid

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Press_Start View Post
    sfchakan, he's not a machine, he's human. Have you ever done a video review yourself? I can say from experience, it's no walk in the park, especially jugging work, school, and other responsibilities.
    I don't know how much a part of the AVGN his life is now, but he prides himself on quickly pumping out movies/videos. He's done more than a handful of game reviews by now. It really shouldn't be that hard for him to review a couple of games he's played to death swiftly. There was very little post-production work involved with these compared to, oh, the last Bugs Bunny video. He didn't really even need a script for them, either.

Also, don't forget that not everyone is enrolled in school, or works a normal 9-5 job.

I'm pretty much in the boat as most of the other posters: "meh." Could have spent his time doing something much more worthwhile.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I thought this most recent review sucked. This seems to just be a really quick one he pushed out. Though he was correct on the CV series really following the SotN formula afterwards, though OoE you did have different outside backgrounds as well as DoS(somewhat.)

Okay. First I'll talk about what I liked about the review most. The ending. How he displayed the ending of SCV4 with scenes of previous levels and then showed alot of parts on all the CV titles. It looked really nice how he did that. I also liked how he actually gave good information on SotN.

Here's what I didn't like about the review though. The Bloodlines review just wasn't there. It's like he mentioned it, said it wasn't as good as SCV4, then moved onto SotN. What? Why? If you gave detailed reasons on stuff you did and didn't like on CV, CV2, CV3, and CV4, why not do the same for Bloodlines?

There are plenty of things he could have said about Bloodlines as well. Other than the fact that there are two different characters, he failed to mention how these two characters differ. John Morris attacking diagonal but only in upward directions while jumping, where Eric Lecard could actually attack straight up as well as the upward directions if on the ground. Or that John could whip onto a ledge and swing across or that you could hold down with Eric to do a High Jump. Also each character throughout the game had branching areas depending on which one you played, meaning that only playing both characters you'd see the entire game. The final thing is how many unique ideas that there were in stages on Bloodlines, an example is on stage 5 with the mirrored room and the upside down room, none of which were given any recognition, yet he mentioned the mode 7 in stage 4 on Super Castlevania 4 which looked cool but didn't effect anything really. Last there was literally no mention on any of the great bosses on Bloodlines. So yeah, he did nothing more than mention the name, the reference to the movie Dracula, and that was it. There's so much more that he could have said but he just didn't really do any sort of a review than throwing this last video together quickly.

Then the review also gave false information and was misinformative for those who may have never seen the original copy of Dawn of Sorrow. He mentioned that "In Dawn of Sorrow, Dracula's castle returns in an eclipse above Japan" which isn't correct. Instead, he was thinking of Aria of Sorrow. In Dawn of Sorrow, Dracula's castle was a replication created by Celia so it actually wasn't even Dracula's castle at all but rather a base for the cult that Celia led. Also the Dawn of Sorrow copy he had was a rereleased copy and not the original, yet in his review how he talked it was like he was describing the cover as the original release.

The only other part that bothered me in the review was one part with SotN when he was talking about whenever you die you go right back to the start menu after having to wait to hear the game over. First off, SotN is easy as hell so you should never hear that more than once or twice even for some one new at the game, unless you're fighting Galamoth for the first time and don't know any of the tricks on the game. So it was pointless to even put that into the review when he could have been referencing stuff far more important, like, oh I don't know, actually saying something about Bloodlines? The only reason why I assume he's bitching about the game over screen is he sucks more at games than I previously thought. Right before he mentioned it, it showed him DYING AT SLOGRA AND GAIBON. The first boss in the game and one of the easiest bosses at that. That was just sad.

There was also the part when he mentioned Shaft. Being a fan of Castlevania and hearing Shaft jokes and references no less than a couple thousand times I assumed he would do the same in his video.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Startin' From Scratch Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it should be noted here - his contract with gametrailers says every two thursdays. I don't know if he pursued doing all four in one month but... he may not have had a choice.
    -AB+

Holy crap. It's been a while.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castlevania Part IV actually felt like his 'last review' to me. I kinda hope he ends AVGN there where it began.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

There was no anger in this video, but I still enjoyed it. I never played the Genesis or PlayStation Castlevania games before, so it was great seeing footage from both games.

I understand those of you who feel this video was underwhelming, but come on. These videos are free. Curb your nerd rage and wait for his next one.

James, if you're readng this, ignore the negativity and continue producing entertaining and informative videos. And thank you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm not entirely sure what he has to do to make everybody happy.

If you go into an AVGN video uptight you're missing the point and should save yourself the added stress. It's just a guy giving his opinion on video games in a way that is occasionally entertaining. He screwed up a couple of facts and sucks at video games...who cares!?!? He was never the source for reliable knowledge on video games to begin with.

He makes Internet videos about his opinions on video games while he takes a shit on a guy in a Bugs Bunny costume.

He makes Internet videos about his opinions on video games while he takes a shit on a guy in a Bugs Bunny costume.

-Sosage

WTF is a Dim-Mac?!?!?

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    3DS Friend
    0473-8317-6182

Quote Originally Posted by Sosage View Post

That pretty much sums it all up.

DP Feedback | Game Blog of Awesomeness! | Seeking out these GCN kiosk discs: Jan 2002, 21, 25, & 29

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I also prefer Castlevania IV to SOTN myself. Just much more satisfying and fun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    WALL OF TEXT
    look at all these words you wrote about a series of internet videos you don't like

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by GuyinGA View Post
    Castlevania Part IV actually felt like his 'last review' to me. I kinda hope he ends AVGN there where it began.
    We all want a Hollywood ending, too bad real life changes the endings we want sometimes.

It would nice if this was the last review since you can tell he has lost a ton of motivation he had during the magical 2007 run.

I think the guy deserves a break, he pretty much opened up the game review format for everyone else on youtube and he just needs to take 6 months off and realize what a pioneer he really was. I doubt he does this however because I am sure he has pressure to continue the nerd from various sources.

I am sure it is also his 2nd income doing AVGN.

P.S- He is right about Castlevania 4 being the best, I think it trumps Bloodlines and SOTN for reasons he said and others one as well. SOTN got so popular because Castlevania64 sucked and Bloodlines was the only real Castelvania treat for MegaDrive owners.
    Last edited by ReaXan; 11-20-2009 at 02:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ReaXan View Post
    It would nice if this was the last review since you can tell he has lost a ton of motivation he had during the magical 2007 run.
    I don't particularly agree with that. His videos are amazingly well-produced and written. You don't get the quality of videos he releases without being motivated heavily in some way. He doesn't have a staff of 20 workers and interns doing all the little things. It's all him and maybe a few other guys.

I haven't noticed any drop-off in personal enjoyment over the years. I am still just as entertained watching his vids now than I was in 2006 or whatever when he became huge.

Strawberry (Level 2) starsoldier1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It's cool to see the Nerd talk about more timeless classics like Castlevania and Super Mario 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ryborg View Post
    I haven't noticed any drop-off in personal enjoyment over the years. I am still just as entertained watching his vids now than I was in 2006 or whatever when he became huge.
    I agree 100%.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

He needs to play shitty games asap.

And lol @ kupomogli. "Ooooo he sucks so much and I hate watching him, but let me watch this video a 6th time so I can bitch about it".