Thread: Busted Classic Game Boy D-Pad

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Busted Classic Game Boy D-Pad

I mentioned this in passing a while ago, but perhaps I ought to make a thread about it here:

My first Game Boy brick from many, many years ago originally stopped working when the D-pad wore out. Basically, it lost its springiness - pressing any of the directions gave no feel of movement (though the game would still respond), and occasionally it would get stuck in one direction.

What exactly could the problem be? Is it just dirt, or would I need a replacement part? (Obviously to attempt any repairs I would need to get those security screws out first.)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Under any plastic D-Pad post-NES-era (which includes original GameBoy) there is usually a rubber disc/cross. Yours may have rotted out and "flattened" in it's spring-cup areas for whatever reason.

I'm not sure if there are any companies out there that sell replacements (though there very well may be) ...

you could actively seek a busted GB with a still-firm-rubber part and gut it for a working replacement. (Of course you'll also need an NES-bit screwdriver.)
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    you could actively seek a busted GB with a still-firm-rubber part and gut it for a working replacement.
    I see... Would anyone perchance have such a replacement handy for some reason or another?

Quote Originally Posted by PingvinBlueJeans View Post
    The rubber pad inside there could be worn out, or it could just be years of dirt and finger gunk built up in there. Take a small toothbrush and dip in alcohol or warm water and work in and around the d-pad as best you can.
    I've heard this before and I've never really understood exactly how it is supposed to work. There's just no way that I can see to wedge more than a couple of bristles into that tiny, tiny crack between the shell and the D-pad.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have some new, replacement GameBoy Origianl rubber pads. PM if you are interested.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Oops, I hit Reply instead of PM. Carry on...

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jorpho View Post
    What exactly could the problem be? Is it just dirt, or would I need a replacement part? (Obviously to attempt any repairs I would need to get those security screws out first.)
    What kind of shape is it in? Does it look dirty?

The rubber pad inside there could be worn out, or it could just be years of dirt and finger gunk built up in there. Take a small toothbrush and dip in alcohol or warm water and work in and around the d-pad as best you can. Let it dry and see if that improves the responsiveness. If not, you'll have to take it apart and have a better look.