Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Goal Achieved: Completed PS2 RPG Collection 163 games (Pic Alert)

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I updated the last picture (scans) in the second original post because I got recently Innocent Life and Baroque on sale.

But this is not why I bump this old thread.

The reason is that I want to thank DP member OREMITES for his generosity and kindness.

3 weeks ago I posted (2 posts above) that I'm still missing some variants and guides. I had little to trade, he wasn't interested in the stuff I had, and of course I offered to pay for it. However, he just sent me the guides for Evergrace and Jade Cocoon 2 for free!

Great guy, generous act to help out a fellow collector, and it is just good to know that there are still nice and altruistic guys out there! Thanks!

PS: I don't care if he's embarrassed to be named.
    Last edited by lendelin; 10-14-2008 at 05:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its a shame I have Nocturne w/ the cd... I ardently refuse to give that game up.

Given I'm trying to accomplish what you are doing (minus variants) its really cool to see it done.

edit: did not realize how old this thread was... whoops.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    hush316

Thats an impressive collection you have i only wish mine was as established as yours oh well back to the hunt

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Congrats! Quite a feat and absolutely love the photos!

So, any hidden gems among them or low-key games which you personally love?
    Sony, we will NEVER forget nor forgive. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    RicknSam
    PSN
    howie6925

What About :
    Final Fantasy XI: WIth 40 GB HDD
    Final Fantasy XI: Chains of Promathia
    Final Fantasy XI Wings of the Goddess
    Final Fantasy XI: Vana'diel Collection

I did not see those or are you not including those as as part of the collection because they are more of an online RPG?

Strawberry (Level 2) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    DeadlyMaple
    PSN
    DeadlyMaple
    Steam
    some.nerd

Quote Originally Posted by John_Madden View Post
    Playing RPGs take a lot of time. It's like making a turducken, you have to put one bird in at a time.
    Don't forget the de-boning. Mmm, turducken...
    Although it does make me concerned that the name of the dish begins with "turd".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nice collection

I have a grand total of 4 of those games (Sega Genesis Collection and the three Kingdom Hearts titles).

Someday I need to actually try the Kingdom Hearts series, I've bought all three under the assumption that I'd like them but have yet to try any.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Finally I got around to get the missing 5 games (from 2009 and 2010) for a complete collection.

I admit that the post from February 2008 was a tad premature. I didn't expect that the PS2 would get still a lot of RPGs in 2008, and I certainly didn't expect that I'll be out of the country for the last couple of years.

I posted the following pic of the missing games in the original post. (sorry for the size, Photobucket enlarged it) They are Ar tonelico II LE, Mana Khemia II 'Rosenqueen Edition', Sakura Wars LE, SMT Devil Summoner 2 special edition with plushie, and Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 (regular and LE variant with a comic book).

As an incentive to get the Doublejump guides for the PS2-RPGs, here is another pic:

Too bad Doublejump doesn't exist anymore. In the online age it is incredibly tough for smaller publishers to survive. These guides are collectible because they are just GREAT and unusual guides (a must for all guide lovers), and it might have been the last hurrah of a smaller publishing house in the guide business. There are a few guides for other consoles and genres as well, but for the most part Doublejump published for PS2 RPGs.

To get all those games with variants wasn't very hard or expensive. With the PS3 it is another matter, unfortunately. The special editions are so numerous and sometimes really expensive, it is at times ridiculous. I got so far around 25 of the special editions for PS3 RPGs, but I'm still missing around 15 or more of them; and with the PS4 this exaggerated trend continues. They are getting more, bigger, and more expensive.

The PS2 continued the RPG-dominance over the other consoles. The PS2 has a fantastic game library of RPGs, an amazing 80% are exclusives, among them the best of this generation. And, of course, underappreciated games as well, like the two Dark Clouds and Okage. If someone likes RPGs and does not find 10 must-play-games among them, this someone needs serious medical help.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

*slow clap*

Nice collection! I'm no where near complete on PS2, but I don't think I'm going to finish it. There's a lot of great RPGs for it, but there's a good amount of boring filler titles too. I think at this point all I have left on my radar is Steambot Chronicles, Innyuasha, MS Dawn, and the .hack//gu games.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Congrats. I'll never have a complete collection because I'm not interested in owning games that I don't enjoy, but I do have atleast half of the games in the list. I've had some more, but sold them because they were either bad or not good enough to keep imo.

It also seems you're missing a few games from your collection that are RPGs.

Castlevania Curse of Darkness is an action RPG. Worse game, but it's more of an RPG than Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, and Orphen are.
    Yakuza 1 and 2 are action games with RPG elements.
    Dokapon Kingdom is a multiplayer RPG.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

How many topics are there about one person's spending spree?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just wanna say wow, wish i had them all !

Pretzel (Level 4) LaughingMAN.S9's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    MILKnoCrackerz
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Late to the party but same as a few others I'll say congratulations but more than half of those games aren't worth owning even for completeness sake.

I'm still trying to hunt down my complete ps1 rpg collection, I'm at like 60 percent of the way there, all of the expensive ones minus tactics ogre are bought and owned by now tho
    "Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan..."

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    *slow clap*

Nice collection! I'm no where near complete on PS2, but I don't think I'm going to finish it. There's a lot of great RPGs for it, but there's a good amount of boring filler titles too. I think at this point all I have left on my radar is Steambot Chronicles, Innyuasha, MS Dawn, and the .hack//gu games.
    Thanks! Yeah, with such a big number of games (twice as many as on the PS1) there must be weak games. Evergrace and Eternal Ring as early releases are just terrible games. (bought them ten years ago very cheap new, for $5 at Circuit City)

One of the worst of the bunch is a game not pictured because it is an European release only. It's called Eternal Quest, and the stereotypical title suits the generic and boring RPG-gameplay. I discovered it by coincidence when I was in Germany. For ten Euro and the only RPG-import game I have, I just couldn't resist.

The PS1 had overall better RPGs, I think. I'm still missing around 20 (of the ca. 70) Because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to games this won't change anytime soon.

Edit: Eternal Quest was also released in Japan (2002). In Europe in 2004.
    Last edited by lendelin; 11-19-2015 at 09:17 PM.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Congrats. I'll never have a complete collection because I'm not interested in owning games that I don't enjoy, but I do have atleast half of the games in the list. I've had some more, but sold them because they were either bad or not good enough to keep imo.

It also seems you're missing a few games from your collection that are RPGs.

Castlevania Curse of Darkness is an action RPG. Worse game, but it's more of an RPG than Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, and Orphen are.
    Yakuza 1 and 2 are action games with RPG elements.
    Dokapon Kingdom is a multiplayer RPG.
    Thanks! Wow, you are very observant because Dokapon Kingdom is on the list but I forgot to picture it!

The other games you named I don't regard as RPGs. I LOVED Curse of Darkness but I think there are important RPG elements missing. In this thread there is an old post in which I discuss the Q of an RPG-definition.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    How many topics are there about one person's spending spree?
    Much fewer than topics by users who type faster than they think.

It was hardly a spending spree. The games were bought over 6 years at an average price of $13, and for the last 5 games I waited patiently 5 years before I bought them.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMAN.S9 View Post
    Late to the party but same as a few others I'll say congratulations but more than half of those games aren't worth owning even for completeness sake.

I'm still trying to hunt down my complete ps1 rpg collection, I'm at like 60 percent of the way there, all of the expensive ones minus tactics ogre are bought and owned by now tho
    Half of the games are certainly not worth owning (even three quarters of them) in order to play them, but for completeness sake they probably are worthwhile owning.

I just went after them because it was actually pretty easy and cheap to pick up the games 3 or 4 years after their release. It would be much more expensive if I tried to buy them now.

But probably you're right. I'm not a completeness-guy at all, and this is just I wanted for a sub-genre of one console. Probably FF X which just had me in awe back then and I loved, did that to me. It's like when you fall in love, suddenly you're lost and you do stupid things.
    Last edited by lendelin; 11-19-2015 at 09:03 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Thanks! Yeah, with such a big number of games (twice as many as on the PS1) there must be weak games. Evergrace and Eternal Ring as early releases are just terrible games. (bought them ten years ago very cheap new, for $5 at Circuit City)

One of the worst of the bunch is a game not pictured because it is an European release only. It's called Eternal Quest, and the stereotypical title suits the generic and boring RPG-gameplay. I discovered it by coincidence when I was in Germany. For ten Euro and the only RPG-import game I have, I just couldn't resist.

The PS1 had overall better RPGs, I think. I'm still missing around 20 (of the ca. 70) Because I'm a cheapskate when it comes to games this won't change anytime soon.

Edit: Eternal Quest was also released in Japan (2002). In Europe in 2004.
    Yeah I have both of those just because, like you said, they were cheap. But it's stuff like Marvel's Ultimate Alliance, and things I own on other consoles already (The Baldur's Gate DA games, Bards Tale, and Gladius I have on xbox), and most of the borderline titles I can do without.

I'll look into Eternal Quest though. I like checking out the Pal exclusives when they turn up.

Also don't mind FieryReign, he's a troll; sadly DP's become a much less welcoming place than it used to be. :/

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lendelin View Post
    Thanks! Wow, you are very observant because Dokapon Kingdom is on the list but I forgot to picture it!

The other games you named I don't regard as RPGs. I LOVED Curse of Darkness but I think there are important RPG elements missing. In this thread there is an old post in which I discuss the Q of an RPG-definition.
    Why include Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, Dark Cloud, etc, which have less RPG elements than Curse of Darkness then? And Orphen is as much of an RPG as Zelda is, not even an RPG at all.

Yakuza is just as much an RPG as the above listed(more of an RPG than Orphen) and Curse of Darkness is more so.

Curse of Darkness has level ups which are meaningful in damage causing, damage reduction, and HP value, while the games above are only based on strengthening weapons and armor, but Curse of Darkness does that too. Aside from weapons and armor that can be found or dropped by enemies, you acquire as drops or steal different types of material and combine to create new weapons and armor. Innocent Devil's also level up, gaining more attack and defense, and when acquiring a certain amount of gemstones have multiple pathways in which they can transform and acquire different abilities, on top of also being used to progress through certain areas of the game.

Hector's slow running speed and the long hallways that are the same regardless what coat of paint are on them are the main reason that I dislike the game. The game just feels like endless hallway after endless hallway. The combat plays like a Musou game with a bit more depth, so atleast there's some redeeming quality in the combat, but it doesn't make it as enjoyable as something like Lament of Innocence, which despite it having reptitive hallways, the combat atleast made up for it more than enough. And speaking of Lament of Innocence, one I wouldn't state is an RPG, but if Orphen is listed as an RPG, then Lament of Innocence and many other games should be as well.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by kupomogli View Post
    Why include Evergrace, Forever Kingdom, Dark Cloud, etc, which have less RPG elements than Curse of Darkness then? And Orphen is as much of an RPG as Zelda is, not even an RPG at all.

Yakuza is just as much an RPG as the above listed(more of an RPG than Orphen) and Curse of Darkness is more so.

Curse of Darkness has level ups which are meaningful in damage causing, damage reduction, and HP value, while the games above are only based on strengthening weapons and armor, but Curse of Darkness does that too. Aside from weapons and armor that can be found or dropped by enemies, you acquire as drops or steal different types of material and combine to create new weapons and armor. Innocent Devil's also level up, gaining more attack and defense, and when acquiring a certain amount of gemstones have multiple pathways in which they can transform and acquire different abilities, on top of also being used to progress through certain areas of the game.

Hector's slow running speed and the long hallways that are the same regardless what coat of paint are on them are the main reason that I dislike the game. The game just feels like endless hallway after endless hallway. The combat plays like a Musou game with a bit more depth, so atleast there's some redeeming quality in the combat, but it doesn't make it as enjoyable as something like Lament of Innocence, which despite it having reptitive hallways, the combat atleast made up for it more than enough. And speaking of Lament of Innocence, one I wouldn't state is an RPG, but if Orphen is listed as an RPG, then Lament of Innocence and many other games should be as well.
    Man I hate when people do this, it's one thing to suggest titles but if he doesn't want to include them in his personal list that his call. He set a personal goal and achieved it. This argument would be better suited for the other topic where he's trying to establish a definitive list for others to use.