Thread: SNES/Genesis RGB Video

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default SNES/Genesis RGB Video

Is it possible to make a RGB Cable to hook up to Component in...Just spilting a Scart Cable to add the 5 RCA plugs

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Doesn't work

As far as I know, that won't work since they are different signals. You will need a converter like Jroks and a Scart(RGB) to YUV Converter.

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My understanding is that you can get RGB even on PAL SNES's via modding the cabling. You won't get RGB from the composite, composite is composite, however you can connect to the pins in the multi-cable contact (or open the SNES and wire directly) as per the pinout on: http://pinouts.ru/Game/SnesVideo_pinout.shtml . Some say to use 200uf capacitors, some say 220uf capacitors, I have also heard someone replied to a question I posted (who sells such pre-made cables on e-bay) "use 1% tolerance 47R resistors in place of the capacitors, and also fix the switching pins (8 and 16). the mod details are easily found online although some omit the resistors and are too bright as a result."

On the web site I mentioned, it states "newer SNES's", no idea what year/s they refer to.

Let us know what your results are, as I intend to do this hack on my project too.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

He's asking about plugging the RGB signals into the component ins on his TV. OUr TVs over here in the states don't have RGB inputs like they usually do in Europe.

I don't know if component is common in Europe, but it's a format we have over here that uses red, green and blue RCA plugs, however the signals those plugs carry are not really at all similar to a RGB signals, so simply plugging RGB into component inputs won't work. Component is more similar to s-video than it is to RGB. You can actually probably get a picture by splitting the chroma signal from s-video into two plugs and plugging those along with the luma signal into the corresponding component ins, but of course it wouldn't look any better than just using s-video.

...word is bondage...